Dog Mess On Womack Island

1Drab1

Interesting John, though I do find myself questioning it a bit.  Although I clearly remember my dying from cholera back in the 60s when we used to cruise the broads and all boats discharged raw sewage (like anyone was going to cook the bloody stuff!) into the rivers and broads, I have no recollection of anyone catching any of the other nasties you mention. I find myself wondering about your source of information, and pondering if it might be of a similar nature to those who assure us that if we stand within 2000 metres of a smoker, we'll be lucky if we see the day out.

• Like 5

DON'T FORGET THE BIG ONE !!!!!!

The main reason for dog fouling laws is because dog faeces is unhygienic and a health hazard. Dog fouling is unsightly, unpleasant and can lead to toxocariasis in humans.
Fouling laws do not cover faeces from other animals, because they aren’t hosts for toxicara and are less likely to foul in areas where the public walk or play,
Toxocariasis causes serious illness and even blindness. It is caused by a parasite known as Toxocara Canis (also known as Roundworm). These parasites live in dogs’ digestive systems. Eggs are released in the faeces of infected animals and contaminated soil. If someone ingests infected material, the eggs may hatch into larvae and can lead to toxocariasis.
Toxocariasis usually affects children aged between one and four years. But cases of toxocariasis have been reported in people of all ages. Young children are most at risk because they are more likely to put things into their mouths and less likely to wash their hands properly.
Symptoms of toxocariasis can include seizures, breathing difficulties, a very red and painful eye, and clouded vision, usually only in one eye. Left untreated, toxocariasis can cause permanent loss of vision in the affected eye.

• Like 4

I am sure there is a lot of information regarding animal, particularly dog, waste and the harm it can do. IMO opinion the only decent way to dispose of doggie doos is to bag it and dispose of it properly. Being out on the rivers for several weeks at a time, and with two dogs, it means we have to carry their waste with us for days at a time now that the bins have largely disappeared. So be it, our choice to have dogs (and I wouldn't be without them). I have no doubt though that we will see an increase of either poo left where it is deposited or more bags in bushes. We know where the bins are, so no excuse, but many hirers will not and may not bother to search them out. (Some privateers too sadly.) The lack of waste bins over the whole Broads is a poor reflection on an area that wants to call itself a National Park and attract more tourists! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, imtamping2 said:

DON'T FORGET THE BIG ONE !!!!!!

The main reason for dog fouling laws is because dog faeces is unhygienic and a health hazard. Dog fouling is unsightly, unpleasant and can lead to toxocariasis in humans.
Fouling laws do not cover faeces from other animals, because they aren’t hosts for toxicara and are less likely to foul in areas where the public walk or play,
Toxocariasis causes serious illness and even blindness. It is caused by a parasite known as Toxocara Canis (also known as Roundworm). These parasites live in dogs’ digestive systems. Eggs are released in the faeces of infected animals and contaminated soil. If someone ingests infected material, the eggs may hatch into larvae and can lead to toxocariasis.
Toxocariasis usually affects children aged between one and four years. But cases of toxocariasis have been reported in people of all ages. Young children are most at risk because they are more likely to put things into their mouths and less likely to wash their hands properly.
Symptoms of toxocariasis can include seizures, breathing difficulties, a very red and painful eye, and clouded vision, usually only in one eye. Left untreated, toxocariasis can cause permanent loss of vision in the affected eye.

Toxocara is not confined to dogs. Cat's, foxes...most mammals will harbour the roundworm. Let's be quite clear to catch it (excuse the pun) you have to ingest it. That's putting your dirty hands in your cakehole. You can also catch it by eating contaminated meat. Let's face it, before the advent of the motor car, Britain was knee deep in excrement. To be honest thanks to the chinless and gormless in Westminster...it still is.

As a dog owner I clean up after my dogs. I carry enough bags on me to deal with any mess. We also have a dedicated airtight container on the boat to hold the mess. If we come across a mooring that has already been littered...be it dog poop, fishing line or on several occasions used nappies and sanitary towels I don the gloves and pick that up as well. We also keep hand sanitizer 'on hand' so to speak for use after touching ropes etc. There's also weil's disease to think about.

I must say since the dog fouling legislation came into law in 1994 it's totally ruined one of my favourite Dirty Harry quotes...you just don't see those dried up yellow dog doo's any more!

• Like 2

I am a bit concerned that when I made my little joke on here yesterday I didn't stop to consider the feelings of those such as Wussername, who I know has strong feelings on this subject.

I was, of course, talking of times long ago when attitudes were very different. In those days the whole of Thorpe walked their dogs on the green, with no poo bags. The mess was cleared up by the council along with any other litter, as a matter of course. It was what you paid your rates for. You also got your bins emptied with no fuss and a 24 hour manned police station, to name just a few services that no longer exist in our "modern" society.

If we now find that dog mess is a serious health hazard then of course we must strive to keep it clear of public places. If only we could explain that to our dogs.....

It is just that it wasn't like that when I grew up but I hope I did not offend, as there was no intention. Perhaps I have lived in France for too long : the streets of Carcassonne are not paved in gold, I can tell you!

• Like 8

Not wishing to divert from the original subject (which should have been a campaign to restore the original avatar-sorry Eric) please also remember:

Theemptybankaccounts.com

children'"wewanttobuyyouapresentcanyouletushavesomemoney.con

I'mstuckinNorwichneedtogethomesendmetwentyplease.swizz

and my personal one    myinternetkeepsgoingdownwhilstwritingposts.desperate

On 06/04/2016 at 11:47 AM, smellyloo said:

All living creatures do do do.

Only two species can't do do do and leave .... Humans & dogs.

Despite doing lots of do do i'm no do do expert so when inspecting a deserted do do I'm not able to tell if it was do do'ed by a forbidden species or not.

So please advice your kids when playing to look out for the permitted do do deposits!!

For me I continue to pick up my dog's do do and enshrine it for future generations in a plastic do do bag; I'm guessing future archeologists will puzzle over why one species was singled out to have their do do preserved for future generations.

On a hike across the Yorkshire Moors with our Scout Troop in the late 1970's, my Mum one of our Scout Leader's, we were placed with an enthusiastic Leader from another troop from London. In his early sixties this bloke stood only a few inches taller than Mum (who was 4' 8") in his high heeled cowboy boots and hat...on a 12 mile hike indeed...and introduced himself as 'Duke'.

Around six miles into the hike the guy threw himself to the floor beckoning us kids to come and inspect the object a couple of inches from his nose and jam jar bottom glasses.
"Can anyone tell me what this is?"  he asked excitedly in a forced  stage whisper.
The Scouts, country lads all, gathered round and looked dubiously at Dukes's 'discovery' not wanting to state the obvious.
"It's spoor!" whispered Duke urgently.
Eleven year old Bruce, a farmer's son, leaned over the prone cowboy.
"Looks like sh** to me!" said Bruce as he and the rest of the Scouts walked away shaking their heads.:facepalm:

As a very junior archaeologist on my first dig I had removed a large amount of 'pebbles' from my test pit only to find they were not pebbles! I suppose future archaeologists would look at the lack of 'deposits' of the canine variety and then leave it to the historians to correlate the lack of archaeology with documentary evidence of the 1994 act and it's association with the 1970's 'Pooper Scooper' ordinances of New York City.:naughty:

• Like 4

Following a very enthusiastic input at Police training School on Cannabis resin and favorite hiding places on ones person I returned to my station in Essex and following "information received" I went to Clacton seafront where a homeless man was reportedly smoking "weed".

Using my newly bestowed powers of stop and search the transient gentleman was searched in accordance with the guidelines and remembering the recent input I checked the turn-ups of his some what grubby corduroy trousers and behold, several lumps of cannabis resin were secreted in said hidey hole, duly seized and placed in evidence bags and the male arrested. A very happy rookie cop returns with his prize and informs his Sargent of the major drugs bust on the prom and whilst the male was detained the Class B drugs were analyzed for evidential purposes.

Here it all goes awry, the cannabis resin was in fact........ yes you got it.... human waste, with the male living rough he obviously was lacking some of the sanitary ablutions that are normally available.

Needless to say the gentleman was returned to the streets and the rookie cop was the center of mirth for quite a while and had to make many pots of tea to restore colleagues faith in his "nose" whilst on enquiries.......:River Police

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

I checked the turn-ups of his some what grubby corduroy trousers and behold, several lumps of cannabis resin

Makes mental note.....do not wear turn up trousers at the Spring Meet! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

You never know what's going to turn up! The obvious aside, the smell of poo and cannabis is distinctly different.  There were a couple of youngsters quietly and contentedly puffing away in a shelter in my local park yesterday. We had taken our grandson to feed the squirrels but when the heavens opened  and we dived into shelter. Phew, both of us commented on the pong, the two youngsters rather surprised that we recognised the distinctive niff. Perhaps we'll now see the Fuzz, on their knees, trying to fire up little piles of pooch poo rather than face the mirth of their colleagues.

On 06/04/2016 at 8:00 AM, JennyMorgan said:

At least the owners haven't bagged up the pooch's poops and then thrown the bags down or hung them on nearby hedges. Where should boat owners/holiday makers dispose of dog waste? 

I know it's bizarre picking up and then hanging on a branch or hedge, but at least it is better than hanging on the sole of your shoe!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Labrador said:

I know it's bizarre picking up and then hanging on a branch or hedge, but at least it is better than hanging on the sole of your shoe!!

I suppose you could have a Wells Fargo type

saddle bag on your dog. You know, either side of the dog, a fashion accessory if you will. Pop the barkers egg in that till you get home.

You can also use the poop bag as a hand warmer, ideal when shooting on the marsh at winter, then pop it in the dogs saddle bag. There, jobs a good un!

Andrew

• Like 3