Dog Mess On Womack Island

1Drab1

We moored at Womack island on Saturday night usually one of our favourite moorings but were surprised to find 5 or 6 piles of dog mess don't know why people can't clean up after them the kids normally love to play on the island but couldn't on this occasion.

48 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

At least the owners haven't bagged up the pooch's poops and then thrown the bags down or hung them on nearby hedges. Where should boat owners/holiday makers dispose of dog waste? 

Well certainly not where "kids normally love to play".....

49 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

At least the owners haven't bagged up the pooch's poops and then thrown the bags down or hung them on nearby hedges. Where should boat owners/holiday makers dispose of dog waste? 

May I suggest they use a small shovel and drop in in the water....

I don't really care if they have to scrape it up with finger nails or suck it through a straw....but deal with it they must !!!!!

They chose to have the dog and that alone carries the responsibility of looking after that animal's needs.

ALL OF THEM !!!!!!!

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Never yet seen a duck or goose do it in the water pops they do it on the banks

Yep they do it on the banks, some ducks and geese do it in the air. (I never look up at a skein of geese) I bet a crafty duck or goose does it in the water. Who knows. :-)

Andrew

14 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

I don't really care if they have to scrape it up with finger nails or suck it through a straw....but deal with it they must !!!!!

They chose to have the dog and that alone carries the responsibility of looking after that animal's needs.

ALL OF THEM !!!!!!!

A dog is for life not just when it suits you.....................

• Like 3

It’s beginning to look a lot like “dog poo”,

Everywhere I go.

Take a look at the river bank, it’s the pooches we have to thank,

With sausages and dog-pats all aglow.

----------------------------------------------------

It’s beginning to look a lot like “dog poo”,

Every time I moor,

No matter where I choose, I get it on my shoes,

So now I have to leave them by the door.

• Like 5

Having two dogs myself, it annoys me intensely when other dog owners don't clear up after their animals. Or deposit their bags in trees/hedgerows! It reflects very badly on those of us who do bother to clear up and act responsibly. The lack of bins now is going to have a bad effect methinks as more people won't bother to dispose of dog waste responsibly.

It is true that goose poo can be very similar to dog poo so I hope people will bear this in mind when castigating dog owners.:hardhat:

• Like 1

All living creatures do do do.

Only two species can't do do do and leave .... Humans & dogs.

Despite doing lots of do do i'm no do do expert so when inspecting a deserted do do I'm not able to tell if it was do do'ed by a forbidden species or not.

So please advice your kids when playing to look out for the permitted do do deposits!!

For me I continue to pick up my dog's do do and enshrine it for future generations in a plastic do do bag; I'm guessing future archeologists will puzzle over why one species was singled out to have their do do preserved for future generations.

• Like 4

If they go to all the trouble of picking up dog poo and putting it in bags  why do they leave it on the banks and under Hedgerows and not just take it with them It annoys me I have a dog and I do pick it up and take it with me :norty:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Never yet seen a duck or goose do it in the water pops they do it on the banks

Not strictly true i`m afraid. I`ve seen ducks do it in the river, i remember when a good friend of mine came with us for the first time in 89, we saw a duck do its buisness in the water when we were feeding them, my mate said "ah look, that filthy ducks just done a salad cream", so guess what we kept saying every time we saw a duck do it again?.

• Like 1

For various reasons I choose not to be a dog owner, doesn't mean that I don't like them though. However, if I were both an on-board holiday maker and a responsible dog owner then I would be concerned at the lack of provision for dog waste, both on the boat and ashore. Dumping the 'poo' in the rivers is all very well, if it doesn't float. Perhaps dog owners should contribute to dredging costs via a terd toll.

• Like 6

Im same never find it difficult to find bins for my dog waste . Then i don't mind holding them on the back of the boat for a couple of days . This is because i don't want it in the boat. I don't condone owners leaving it and hanging it from trees. But really do we need to carry dogs poo in our hands , for miles on end. When out walking because of lack of bins and that's across the country not just the broads. Same as should i really except having dog poo on the back of the boat for a couple days.

If  i want the lads at work  to keep the workplace tidy i give them the equipment to be able to do so :bow.

typical of this country some idiot is deciding what the tax payer money should be spent on . Perhaps we could get a loan from the panama account two gunsAll our  money troubles would be long gone :shocked

• Like 1

Hearts Cruisers used to have a lot of lawns and flower-beds, which made a lovely place for visiting boat hirers and their dogs, to roam. No poo bags in those days.

My father taught me from an early age that the best implement was a long handled garden hoe. With a good flick, they would sail up in the air above the river and land among the ducks, like anti-submarine mortars. If he had been having a row with the Parish Council lately, he could get them right over to the river green.

This is rural Norfolk, after all. "Do that bludda dawg do his bludda doo doos on moi lawn agin oi'll bludda do for im. That oi will an' all!"

• Like 3

I thought that it was bio-degradable but since this thread started I've been reading:

So Is Dog Do Bad for the Environment?

• Dog Doo contain bacteria that is harmful to all animals- contains the same bacteria that human have.
  • E Coli Bacteria from Dog Doo finds its way into the rivers and lakes and can cause cholera or dysentery.
  • E Coli Bacteria from Dog Doo grows in water and reduces amount of oxygen for fish
  • Not good to use in garden- can leach into vegetables and make you sick
  • Runoff containing dog waste also causes bacteria levels to rise in waterways and can make beaches unsafe for swimming.

Some Common Diseases:

• Roundworm
  • Giardia
  • Campylobacter
  • Leptospira
  • Tapeworm
  • Cryptosporidium
  • E. Coli
  • Fecal Coliforms
  • Like 2