Just When You Think You Have Seen It All.

kfurbank

Just seen one of Richo's finest turn near The Ship at Reedham. Too late and it hit the bridge centre supports. As it hit someone who was on the outside was catapulted of the boat and onto the wooden guard rails for the centre support. The boat has returned a couple of times to retrieve the person, but I think the railway staff have made the person head towards the signal box. Hopefully no one injured and the boat and crew get reunited soon. Bridge was open at the time, and has now closed. Have made the BA ranger at Reedham quay aware, who was going to ring it into Broads control.

No life jacket when they went past, and I think it was a woman. Was worried at first that there would be a bad injury, because it hit hard. They were lucky there was no crush injury. The person on the front was catapulted off and lucky to land on the timbers. Not sure if the person has been retrieved by the boat, or is waiting in the signal box.

Not really sure what they were playing at. They came down river and turned very late completing the turn in the gap between the centre support and The Ship. They then headed very slowly back and looked like they might double moor outside The Ship, before deciding to turn again, but this time with the heavy ebb tide got taken hard into the rails protecting the centre pier where the person was catapulted off the boat.

I think it's very easy to under estimate the skills required to manouver a large boat in strong tides. Sadly those only used to the Northern rivers might assume that all the system is as forgiving.

I really hope this incident doesn't spoil their holiday.

• Like 1

Whilst I appreciate what your saying, there is a very big sign saying no turning beyond this point. They should have carried on through and turned and come back as per the signs. In addition the two boats moored outside The Ship are I think annual renters. Why you would even attempt to double moor next to one of them is beyond me.

• Like 2

I have moored once outside The Ship, not easy getting back out even puting the bow into the tide. Also there is a fair old drop on the tide there, getting back on board can prove awkward to say the least!

I hope no lasting injuries to their holiday. The signs are big enough telling you what to do, witb regarding turning.

cheersIain

• Like 1

To any new Broads holidaymaker, Reedham must be treated with utmost care, please moor against the tide there, it makes it so much easier.

Poppy, you were reading my mind, I have sat watching the poor old Ranger trying to convey to a boat to go up and turn, or go back through the bridge and come back facing the ebb tide. 

cheersIain

• Like 2

Ok, so they didn't read the signs, turned where they shouldn't, utter stupidity or first timer mistake, whatever the reason let's hope there are no serious injuries and they can carry on to enjoy their holiday and if it was just plain stupidity a ruddy good telling off from the Ranger wouldn't go amiss

To be catapulted from the Boat must have been terrifying, I do hope they are back on board safely

Grace

• Like 5

We nearly got taken out on the Reedham quay. Woke up in the morning after a good evening in the Ship (great pub) to find the boat in front at a bit of an odd angle, the hirer (dressing gown and slippers) is hauling at the ropes trying to let them out, he manages to undo the front rope and saunters towards the back of boat but the tide has caught the front and is swinging it around, he spots this and just manages to undo the rear rope, jump on and apply full throttle so he just missed us, hes now heading downstream, sideways towards the bridge support, manages to avoid that but did go through the bridge sideways.

I might seem a bit judgemental but some people are just plain thick, it was our first go down south, the yards literature warned us, and so did the yard owner, but its pretty obvious that the flow at Reedham is fast and strong, and there that great big sign.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonC said:

We nearly got taken out on the Reedham quay. Woke up in the morning after a good evening in the Ship (great pub) to find the boat in front at a bit of an odd angle, the hirer (dressing gown and slippers) is hauling at the ropes trying to let them out, he manages to undo the front rope and saunters towards the back of boat but the tide has caught the front and is swinging it around, he spots this and just manages to undo the rear rope, jump on and apply full throttle so he just missed us, hes now heading downstream, sideways towards the bridge support, manages to avoid that but did go through the bridge sideways.

I might seem a bit judgemental but some people are just plain thick, it was our first go down south, the yards literature warned us, and so did the yard owner, but its pretty obvious that the flow at Reedham is fast and strong, and there that great big sign.

I had something similar a few years back when trying to get moored up at Great Yarmouth yacht station, another boat came off the moorings into the tide, no engine running and ended up broadside across the river drifting toward Acle, I'm frantically trying to reverse up stream and maintain steerage along with another boat doing the same behind me to avoid him. 

Theres the inexperienced and then there's the completley stupid!

At the end of the day you need to have grasped basic common sense before you can safely handle a boat even on still water.  

Some of these folk must struggle in tescos carpark :-)

Ok, just hang on a mionute folks, I agree with the statement "There is inexperience and there is stupid" but I wouldn't be too quick to apply it on some areas where the tide rips through. There can be many instances where a misjudgement at the start of an incident turns quickly into chaos, where the novice suddenly finds himself far from his comfort zone.and looks the complete Charlie.

That sign for example... small isn't it! How close might you have to be to it to read it if your sight wasn't 20/20. How long does it take you to read it as you get even nearer, and then to work out all the whys and wherefors of the situatuation. A person might even be reading the neon sign that says "Please wait", only to appreciate that that sign does not apply to him where the "no turning" sign does!

Many of the members of this forum are far from novices  yet by their own admission can 'muck it up and look a plonker'.

Give the novices a break, it's only those who will not learn by their mistakes who warrant raised eyebrows, and we can't tell if they've made those same mistakes before.

• Like 6