Wrc Hits The Headlines, Tragic.

I note that one report suggests that the little girl was at a private 'pool party' to celebrate a birthday. I suppose because it's local, because we take our seven year old grandchild there, because we know James Knight of the WRC, both my wife and I can associate with this tragedy. This will be a life changer for so many people. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by this tragedy.

Tragedy is lurking around every corner, no matter how hard we, in all our experience, try to predict and prevent it.

This is the nightmare of all of us who live and work in the tourist industry. I have lost count of the number of sleepless nights I have had when all my boats are out on hire and the weather turns bad, or the river floods. Offering a safe environment to our customers in what is, after all, an adventure and "activity" holiday, is an enormous reponsibllity.

In this respect we should remember that the safety record of the Broads and its related industries over the years, is so high as to be actually incredible.

I have spoken to James Knight this morning - he is my brother-in-law. I cannot, of course, go into detail but I wanted to say that, knowing James as I do, I am confident that the authorities will not find fault with the equipment of the WRC, or its health and safety procedures.

Let us all hope that this tragic accident will eventually be judged to be just that : a tragic accident.

• Like 7