Bob48

Bob48

Hello all , i was talking with my Wife last evening about fuel economy on the broads , she reminded me of a trip when we took out Richardsons " Tobago 2 " that was 20 Sept to 2 Oct 2015 , bear in mind that this vessel is 44ft long and 12ft wide we had 6 people aboard and in the 4 days we had her used  out of and estimated £120 fuel usage just over £25 . to the shock of the staff at the boat yard . how was this done ? well we went from Stalham to Horning marshes ( Ludham bridge ) first day , left there and went to Salhouse broad ( which is a wonderful place and very tranquil ) stayed over , then went back to Ludham bridge ( shop side of the river Ant ) stayed overnight there , then took a slow cruise back to the boat yard on Thursday afternoon early evening ready to hand back on Friday , we stuck to the speed limits and didn't use the TV or the heating . so with the almost £96 we got back we had lunch at the compleat angler in Norwich just before getting the train home . we had a grand old time . cheers

• Like 3

we had my Mum aboard she is 71 , not a frail old lady at all, but not one for rushing about either , she loved it so much she will be with us again this October for another 4 day break, then next year she's coming with us for a week , i must also say that " Tobago 2 " is a cracking cruiser , Mum and Dad had the forward double berth and it was fabulous , en- suite head, big comfy bed too , my Dad said he hadn't slept so well in ages. 

• Like 2

Hi Bob. Yes those 44 footers are great value. Your fuel bill sounds about right because you covered very little mileage. I'd have gone stir crazy only going that far (but I'm a bit obsessive about covering the miles, I love piloting the boat so much).

• Like 3

Sounds great Bob

we had mum with us last week & she's 85 and thoroughly loves it. She gets on the boat on the Saturday when we pick up and doesn't get off until the following Saturday when we have to drag here off kicking & screaming :naughty:

It's a great holiday for her as she's not as agile as she was so still gets to enjoy what's going on around here where as if we took her to a cottage she'd get the view from the garden or Windows.

I'm with Simon here as I enjoy piloting the boat so love to be moving but that's the beauty of boating, you can do as much or little as you like.

cheersbar

• Like 5

We hardly get any fuel deposit back (if any) we love cruising so much, slow pace just as Bob says, even going back to the same moorings a few days later, no point in rushing wouldn't want to miss a bit of it. Having the first cup of coffee of the day, cruising at a snails pace just after sun rise, does it get any better? Actually I'll answer that, yes it does, having a glass of wine at sun set on a wild mooring, heaven, then there's the fishing, the pubs.............I could go on forever lol

Welcome aboard the Forum, Bob :wave

Grace

• Like 3

On an eleven day summer holiday and being able to use the tides to our advantage, both sides North and South we have had a rebate of unused fuel. On the other hand, in May last year, eleven days again, but having to use the heating every day and evening, we had to add £11.00p. The weather and tides can and do make a difference to the costs IMHO.

cheersIain

• Like 1

If you do a lot of cruising when hiring it may be worth checking on fuel prices. Some hire yards charge a lot more than other outlets. If you think your deposit won't cover the fuel you've used, consider topping up at a cheaper outlet than your home yard. Then you'll be refunded anything left in the tank at the yard's rate. 

• Like 1

And that Polly, was the time Griff came to our rescue and I got to drive BA!  A nice highlight of an otherwise very frightening experience!!  I have forgiven Harry, but always check his boats VERY carefully now!

• Like 1

still dipping our toes in the water so to speak softly ,softly catchee monkey, only been twice ,but ,soon we will be going further afield or further a river . :Stinky see you on the water

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob48 said:

cheers ok Gracie but , need to get sea legs first , and we'll have to go down that way as my wife wants to go and have a play with the Snails at Great Yarmouth :swordpir:

Steady Bob, dinny spoil her too quickly,:norty: otherwise you will be giving the rest of us blokes a bad name !!! :naughty:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gracie said:

Forget dipping toes, Bob, take a ruddy great dive and try a trip across Breydon, contrary to popular belief, with care and common sense, it's an absolute doddle and terrific fun if it's choppy :Stinky

Grace

:gracie:

• Like 1

This is out it goes, Bob....

A Sailie :Sailing....me trying to get out of Sailie's way:gracie:Sailie chasing me:Sailing:gracie:me shooting Sailietwo guns:Sailing....A motor boat :Stinkythe rulers of the River :bow:bow 

I'd better be off before I'm lynched by the Yachty types :hiding: :naughty:

Grace

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gracie said:

This is out it goes, Bob....

A Sailie :Sailing....me trying to get out of Sailie's way:gracie:Sailie chasing me:Sailing:gracie:me shooting Sailietwo guns:Sailing....A motor boat :Stinkythe rulers of the River :bow:bow 

I'd better be off before I'm lynched by the Yachty types :hiding: :naughty:

Grace

Hi Grace,

Where is the zig zagging emotion?

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Hi Bob

I'm not a moderator but when you first join the forum there is a limit (part of the software I think)

once you've made 50 posts you are eligible to be considered for full membership when the limit is lifted.

there is a proposal and seconding system for all new members ..... Keep posting the way you are and you'll be a full member in no time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

Hi Bob

I'm not a moderator but when you first join the forum there is a limit (part of the software I think)

once you've made 50 posts you are eligible to be considered for full membership when the limit is lifted.

there is a proposal and seconding system for all new members ..... Keep posting the way you are and you'll be a full member in no time.

Thankyou cheers

• Like 1