Weather Predictions For The Bank Holiday

ranworthbreeze

The weather predictions for the weekend and Bank Holiday are not looking good, lets hope that the predictions are wrong.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/bank_holiday_weekend_weather_forecasters_predict_rain_across_norfolk_1_4549208

I have also looked at the predictions on the BBC Norwich and they say similar.

http://thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/281-weather/

At least even if it rains, some of you lucky people will be on a boat messing about on the rivers.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

The forecast I've been looking at predicts fine warm weather not only for the weekend but the entire week afterwards. Trouble is this forecast exists only in my head and is based on nothing more than hope and blind optimism.

I'd never heard of TMOR, I'll be heading from Wroxham at 14:00 on Saturday 28th to hopefully get a mooring at Stokesby, so I'll probably have to weave my way through the last race of the day. Sounds like fun....not. I bet it's a spectacle though.

• Like 1

Our rear canopy needs to be unzipped, removed and scrubbed and we need a nice dry day to do it.  Plans were made to do same jobbie this weekend. Plans may be put on hold lol  

We`re up in Kent to see family on the weekend, so not doing anything in the garden, or on the restoration of Mistral, but was planning to be back here sunday pm to go to our local Bird of prey centre(Liberty`s   www.libertycentre.com )  When i went to work at 06,30 this morning, there was a distinct chill in the air, with my cars dash readout showing barely 8c, so hopefully, the back half of the weekend will improve.

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Our rear canopy needs to be unzipped, removed and scrubbed and we need a nice dry day to do it.  Plans were made to do same jobbie this weekend. Plans may be put on hold lol  

Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow. If that`s the case, forget the rear canopy, and go and have a cruise.

• Like 1

Well we've been out since Monday and while it's been very windy for a few days it has stayed mainly dry. Today is thinning cloud, let's hope it continues to improve. I can see blue bits above and a big white ball, hay it's the sun!!!!

The forecast here at Oulton Broad (BBC Weather app) is saying today sun and cloud till 18:00 the unbroken sun. Friday light cloud, both days light winds at 8 mph. Saturday similar but sun braking though around 13:00 which will be nice.

Come on out you know you want too.

John.

• Like 3

Certainly looking much like it is going to be better than predictions were saying even yesterday as far as the east of England goes, however Bank Holiday Monday is going to be another story...I suspect the low pressure moving up over France will kick the high pressure trying to come down from the north out, and poor old Norfolk is going to get some pretty hefty rain, and winds.

http://meteoradar.co.uk/longterm-rain

• Like 1

On 5/25/2016 at 5:38 PM, neilp1962 said:

I'd never heard of TMOR, I'll be heading from Wroxham at 14:00 on Saturday 28th to hopefully get a mooring at Stokesby, so I'll probably have to weave my way through the last race of the day. Sounds like fun....not. I bet it's a spectacle though.

Well worth seeing, huge river cruiser class sailing boats dicing with each other, often inches apart. Whatever you do, don't attempt to "weave your way through", that's a recipe for carnage.  Stay close to the right hand bank, and keep moving (don't stop, or you'll lose steerage) slowly forward.  You're then 'predictable' to the racers and they'll treat you as part of the riverbank and steer away.  They will come bloody close, but don't panic, they've the skill to avoid you, and the last thing they want to do is damage their pride and joy.

If you are on the Southern rivers then you could head for the Bank Holiday powerboat racing on Monday midday 12:00.

They are just that bit quicker than the  sailies.

The weather is however predicted to be rubbish with rain and very very high winds (gusts upto 40mph!!!!!). 

I've book a mooring in the Waveney River Centre thank goodness?, will batten down the hatches and hide for the day!

John.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobdog said:

Well worth seeing, huge river cruiser class sailing boats dicing with each other, often inches apart. Whatever you do, don't attempt to "weave your way through", that's a recipe for carnage.  Stay close to the right hand bank, and keep moving (don't stop, or you'll lose steerage) slowly forward.  You're then 'predictable' to the racers and they'll treat you as part of the riverbank and steer away.  They will come bloody close, but don't panic, they've the skill to avoid you, and the last thing they want to do is damage their pride and joy.

Thanks Bob, great advice. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing this event close up, particularly now I know that they'll cater for me being there.

I'll have my camera at the ready, I'm also booked into Oulton Broad YS to watch the powerboat racing on Monday so that's two things I've never seen before. If Summercraft don't mind me giving the boat back very late the following Saturday, say teatime or so instead of 9:00am then I'll also get to see the Three Rivers Race. (I'm joking of course).

Does the River Bure go anywhere near Silverstone & Aintree? I could get used to this ringside race watching :naughty:

3 minutes ago, CaptainJoshie said:

If you are on the Southern rivers then you could head for the Bank Holiday powerboat racing on Monday midday 12:00.

They are just that bit quicker than the  sailies.

The weather is however predicted to be rubbish with rain and very very high winds (gusts upto 40mph!!!!!). 

I've book a mooring in the Waveney River Centre thank goodness?, will batten down the hatches and hide for the day!

John.

image.jpeg

Last time we were afloat it was storm Katie so I am expecting nothing but a mere breeze on BH Monday :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobdog said:

:Stinky versus :Sailing = great spectator sport. :hardhat:

1 hour ago, CaptainJoshie said:

With winds that speed, JM could enter his saily:Sailing in the speed boat racing , :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Monday 12:00hrs.

Well the rain hasn't arrived yet but the wind has picked up and is now due to peak around  15:00 to 16:00 hrs. with 40mph gusts and rain.

We are now hunkered down at the Waverney River Centre to sit it out till tomorrow.

The cruise down from Becceles was breezy to say the least! But it looks like the privateers had departed early as only saw a handful of hire boats on the way down and we appear to be the only private cruiser moored here!

Bring on summer please please, my heating has been used to good effect but really this late in May it is getting silly :bow.

John.

• Like 3