Three Rivers Race

JennyMorgan

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The Computers at Horning are Not being switched off,.

The club funds the computer and internet link down a cable running in the dyke, the Three Rivers Race is funded by the Competitors entrance fees. To support a system that would be capable of running a huge increase in access for two days a year would mean increasing the entrance fees for the race. The club is there for the competitors and the running of sailing / racing / teaching sailing not for any other purpose .

That would be perfectly understandable TheQ, it would indeed be quite wrong to unnecessarily burden the 3RR competitors with increased Internet hosting fees.

The way it works however, is that those two low res  webcam images are normally uploaded to the web server once every 15 seconds, (as they are for the other 363 days a year), with almost no impact on the club's broadband bandwidth usage.

The two day "huge increase" in internet access for the webcams is being served up by the remote webserver, not the broadband link that serves the clubhouse.

That page, ( http://3rrcams.horningsc.co.uk/index.php    )  carries the other four course webcams, of which three were running perfectly  throughout the race, so the HSC 3rr webcam page was still up and running 24/7 throughout.

If the 15 second interval webcam images from the clubhouse had still been uploaded during the race, the hosting cost would have been virtually the same, since the remainder of the webcam page was still being viewed by race followers.

Please don't take this as dig. The HSC 3 rivers race is a marvelous spectacle and enjoyed by thousands, who are extremely grateful to the organisers and competitors. It's just a shame if the reason for the two year clubhouse 3rr webcam blackout is being misunderstood or misreported.

Some shots of my son in his half decker X2. He finished 29th over all, and would have got home first in his start group, had he not tried 'ditch crawling' at Stokesby at the bottom of the tide. :facepalm: :P Cost him three or four minutes, that did .

DSC02196.JPG

DSC02197.JPG

DSC02189.JPG

DSC02192.JPG

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Poppy said:

had he not tried 'ditch crawling

Is that the same as kerb crawling, Poppy? :naughty: Except your looking for tide and wind ! I blame his original coach/tutor. Poppy.....come back ! Only joking....oops you don't do Jokes !:naughty:

Seriously, well done to all who took part. Perhaps they should get the Jockey Club in to set the handicaping! :dance

cheersIain

• Like 1

Now then, here's a funny thing and fairly relevent to this thread. I was on my boat last week and just for a change, I wasn't alone. I had the company of my sister, Frances. She, as some of you might know, has been rather ill and has just come through a year of Chemotherapy and other medication. So all in all I was delighted that she felt well enough to stay on the boat. She now has some hair and feels confident to be seen, in spite of my calling her "my little thug".

Anyway I digress, We were moored up at the Sutton Staithe when I suggested we had a trip to Coltishall, or more accurately Horsted Mill. It is one of her favourite spots so she readily agreed (and I like the Red Lion as well as the Recruiting Sergeant.

It was a most enjoyable cruise with her watching and waving at all the boats and taking the helm for a while.One thing that Frances has in common with our Gracie is that she doesn't really feel too confident at the helm, so when passing Cockshoot dyke she said she thought she saw a sail through the trees so would I take the helm.

Round the corner came three Yeomen sailing abreast of each other. I smiled at Frances and showed her how to get passed. I did remark that as they were running before the wind they would maintian a fairly straight course, so avoiding them wasn't much of a problem.

As we neared the Ferry Inn, a few more sails came into view. I looked at my sister and said "Goodness me, look at all those!"

I did my level best to avoid them but I was cornered and had to just stop and hold position while they avoided me. After they passed I continued but by then I'd realised that I'd run slap bang into some event, I assumed from the HSC. Now I thought I was in the thick of it, nowhere to tie up out of the way I just had to manoeuvre my way through.

Most were running before the wind and even though there were loads of them I thought I was doing quite well. Then I reached the Horning Sailing Club and rounded that bend. There before my very eyes was a sight to behold. I don't know how many of the buggers there were, hundreds certainly but it looked more like a couple of thousand to me, all tacking and all seemingly looking at me as some small annoyance to be swatted as soon as they had some spare time. Oddly enough I kind of felt like the spectators were looking at me in the same light. I was spoiling their view!!!

With that number of sailies all charging about tacking I took the cowards way out and just 'Right Hand Bank Hugged' thus spoiling even more spectators views. I was just starting to relax a little without losing focus when someone at the club let their bloody cannon off.

Both Frances and I came very close to demonstrating 'Syncronised Trouser Disasters' but happily avoided that final humiliation. After what seemed an eternity, we finally got passed the last one.

I thought this boating lark, and sailing in particular was supposed to be relaxing!

• Like 7

MM, if I've told you once I've told you a thousand time, I am a very good and confident helmswoman until such moments of course, when I happen upon a Sailie thingie, a bridge, any other river user coming in the opposite direction and very narrow parts of the river, other than these minor irritations I am brilliant :naughty:

Seriously, lovely read and please send "your little thug" my very best wishes :kiss

Grace

• Like 4

On 04/06/2016 at 4:44 PM, Strowager said:

Please ignore the headline with Strowger name above, my tablet seems to think I'm quoting from a previous Quote, even when I only click reply!!

MM did you not notice all the notes about the 3RR ? :shocked I'd call it self inflicted consternation!! :shockedA little heads up you can get more consternation 09:30 to 17:30 1st to the 5th August 2016!:Sailing

On 04/06/2016 at 4:44 PM, Strowager said:

A few quick notes from a 3RR wash up meeting.

There were 350 breakfasts catered for the competitors and support crew a magnificent effort by the kitchen volunteers.:clap

The was a bundle of thank you letters from this year's competitors:kiss

One the competitors  in a punt was 74!! And he did well, I wish I was that fit and I'm a lot younger....:Sailing:clap

The on site internet system did fail before the race, at one point they had no internet connection at all, when the system came back, the on site cameras did not. As previously, pointed out the computer expert was already sailing. 

Great to read that Frances is on the mend cheers

You have, of course, committed such a faux pas that every bowsprit will be out to thrutch you from here on in! :Sailing

You not knowing the 3RR was on reminds me of the time I asked my dad who had won the World Cup played a few weeks earlier. 

"Who won the World Cup??" He repeated in tones of utter disbelief. 

So I reminded him that I had been in a coma at the time....it would have been the only possible reason in his view but also happened to be true. :facepalm:

So MM what is your excuse?

29 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Please ignore the headline with Strowger name above, my tablet seems to think I'm quoting from a previous Quote, even when I only click reply!!

Yes, the way that the forum's editing boxes sometimes retain abandoned replies and quotes can be confusing.

When this new feature first appeared it took me by surprise too. :)

The software persistently remembers any abandoned quotes or replies that weren't actually submitted after being composed, even if it was during a previous session.

The way round it to get a clean blank reply window  is to delete any retained text in it, as well as the "boxed" quoted sections. If you click the top left hand corner of each, you can then press delete to remove them from the reply.

MM I saw you go through Horning I was on a holiday cottage front. Regrettably when I went to shout at you the brain chose to operate the age related forget name default, so rather than make a complete ass of myself I said nothing. Just by the by what IS your name?:facepalm:

53 minutes ago, Polly said:

So MM what is your excuse?

Fair question, sadly I doubt you will like the answer though!

Whilst the date, and probably the time may well have been mentioned here, what I had not appreciated was the significance of the event. As far as I was aware it was a local race held between a few Broads sailing clubs possibly involving up to thirty or so boats, all starting off at roughly different times.

I am not a sailie, nor am I particulaly interested in sailing events. so I wasn't following any sailie threads with any great attention. Had there been a thread headed "Warning to stinkies" informing me of the magnitude of the event, I may well have paid more attention. There was not, so I didn't.

I passed a boat that was in the process of mooring up near the water treatment place close to what I assume is Horning parish church. That boat had a sign on it saying "Guard boat" but who it was guarding and from what, was kept highly secret, and nobody said anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, firstly it was bloody good fun and second it was one of the most impressive sights I've seen on the broads, No, If I'm making any point it is that comunication failed, in as much as I was caught unawares. as were three or four others coming through with me. I feel if anything, that my presence may have spoiled the view for some spectators, and for that I apologise. 

I shall most certainly pay more attention to the event in future and possibly try to be moored at the Ferry Inn to watch it.

Updated NBN 2 For.jpg

Edited by MauriceMynah
to add logo
  • Like 1

At The waterworks would have been Guardship 10, who have the unfortunate privilege of having to be first set up and last to pack away.

OK next year for 3RR I'll try to put out an alert for Stinkies:Stinky. (and non competing sailies:Sailing). As I will do in July  for Hornings regatta:Sailing:Sailing the first week August.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

OK next year for 3RR I'll try to put out an alert for Stinkies:Stinky. (and non competing sailies:Sailing). As I will do in July  for Hornings regatta:Sailing:Sailing the first week August.

Nah The Q, now that MM has done it once, I am sure he will errrr SAIL through it all the next time ! :naughty:

Just read MMs reaction to meeting the competitors, I liked it!

So thanks to today being wet I finally finished editing my set of 373 photos from the race.  There were more that didn't make the Flickr link.  As I think I said before I tried to take a photo of every boat that came past us at Thurne, whether going to Potter, going to Acle or coming back - maybe not on each leg.  As I also think I said the light at Thurne is diabolical therefore I have had to do a far bit of enhancing so that each boat has its moment of glory. Some are worse than others, for Poppy there are a few of X2 at Thurne.  He will just have to find them :) 

• Like 3