Three Rivers Race

JennyMorgan

23 hours ago, Strowager said:

Glorious sunshine, makes the varnish look so good... :)

DSCF2921.jpg

DSCF2924.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

DSCF2960.jpg

DSCF2967.jpg

DSCF2977.jpg

DSCF2984.jpg

DSCF2986.jpg

DSCF2990.jpg

DSCF2996.jpg

DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

That's perfect timing, the gentleman in the white shirt is Will Penny the current Horning Sailing Club Commodore doing his tour of the accessible guardship before doing his turn on duty with the Martham Guard ship.

• Like 1

But it does really say something about the prestige of the 3RR and the quality of competition that so many A Raters make their annual pilgrimage to Horning, a trail sail of 400 miles for just one great race!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

But it does really say something about the prestige of the 3RR and the quality of competition that so many A Raters make their annual pilgrimage to Horning, a trail sail of 400 miles for just one great race!

Indeed it does - but there are a goodly number who would wish to see their handicaps more fairly in line with all the other classes. I've been told that the sailing club is afraid that they wont turn up....... Begs the question, is the race for the competitors or the spectators ?

5 hours ago, Poppy said:

What a shame they couldn't find a photo of some 'proper Norfolk' boats. There are plenty to choose from.....

I note that Linton Hope designed a number of A Raters, as he did the the Broads One Design. Ergo the Thames A Raters have a Broads related heritage;).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I note that Linton Hope designed a number of A Raters, as he did the the Broads One Design. Ergo the Thames A Raters have a Broads related heritage;).

Tenuous - at best. :saily:

Re Poppy's point about the handicaps of the Thames boats, I note in the corrected results, that the best an A Rater could achieve was 14th. To me that suggest that their handicaps are probably about right. Can't have those Londoners coming up here and nicking our trophies, or our women;) 

http://www.horningsc.org.uk/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re Poppy's point about the handicaps of the Thames boats, I note in the corrected results, that the best an A Rater could achieve was 14th. To me that suggest that their handicaps are probably about right. Can't have those Londoners coming up here and nicking our trophies, or our women;) 

http://www.horningsc.org.uk/

OOOOH. Perhaps they won't come back now :naughty:

I remember a boom snapping at St Bennets in 2011. The crew were very lucky as the kevlar sail split and the tail end was thrashing about in a most dangerous fashion.

Appologies if anyone tried to use the Horning sailing club web site during the 3 Rivers Race to see the sailing. There was so much demand, I believe there were computer problems. Unfortunately as we are a self help club, the computer expert was otherwise engaged....

He came 28th in his Reedling RK4 with a corrected time of 11 hours 21 minutes 11 seconds..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Appologies if anyone tried to use the Horning sailing club web site during the 3 Rivers Race to see the sailing. There was so much demand, I believe there were computer problems. Unfortunately as we are a self help club, the computer expert was otherwise engaged....
He came 28th in his Reedling RK4 with a corrected time of 11 hours 21 minutes 11 seconds..

The 2 day outage only affected the two cameras running from the HSC clubhouse and the Acle webcam.

All of the other cameras worked perfectly throughout the race, and they appear to be served from the same web servers, so it seems unlikely that it was overload due to bandwidth demand. Maybe they were simply switched off by mistake, as has been admitted by HSC on this forum before.

They were only off during the two days of the race, similar to last year when just the HSC cameras feed stopped ten minutes before the 11am start.

Such a shame for all the race followers that were left blind of the start, just like last year.

Congratulations the the skipper of RK4 though.... :)

They have been switched off by mistake three years running, I know, as I have been a member of this Forum for three years and rely very much on the web cams to get my Broadland fix. A simple question from me and not to cause arguments or to upset anyone but if they are being switched off on purpose "Why?", what the hell difference does it make

Grace

40 minutes ago, Gracie said:

They have been switched off by mistake three years running, I know, as I have been a member of this Forum for three years and rely very much on the web cams to get my Broadland fix. A simple question from me and not to cause arguments or to upset anyone but if they are being switched off on purpose "Why?", what the hell difference does it make

Grace

Good point there Grace

Charlie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

He'd have come 29th if my son hadn't got stuck in the mud at Stokesby for a good four minutes!:naughty:

The Computers at Horning are Not being switched off,.

The club funds the computer and internet link down a cable running in the dyke, the Three Rivers Race is funded by the Competitors entrance fees. To support a system that would be capable of running a huge increase in access for two days a year would mean increasing the entrance fees for the race. The club is there for the competitors and the running of sailing / racing / teaching sailing not for any other purpose .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Maybe vertical lift keels are the way forwards!

Swing keels would be better, as the Yeoman who followed my shallow draft Lysander over the Ferry ramp at Stokesby many years ago and came to a very sudden halt found out, a vertical centreboard would do the same.