Windows 10 Last Chance

So I have been away for a few days but I have red the most recent comments , Microsoft need to be careful because once a few people sue them and win they could be snowed under which could end up coasting then a great deal of money . I am all for windows 10 if you wont but it should not be forced on anyone ...

After upgrading to Windows 10, I am getting a few issues with Office 2003, Outlook and timing out on Google Chrome (latest version for Windows 10).

The outlook issues are when typing in a few letters of the email address the option to click on suggested names used does not put the name into the box, you can only type it (somewhat a pain)

In Excel the spreadsheets you already use where there is a date it has put them into the American format! Clicking on the column and formatting the cells converts most cells but not all of them.

Using Chrome to access Ebay to answer questions from potential customers ends up with an error coming up half way through answering a question, it is a Chrome error but as only started since uploading Windows 10!!! 

Other than that all looks good, far too little Beta testing these days.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

For those not wanting windows 10 being forced on them there is a program free to download called never10, it sets group policy and registry to never accept the upgrade, seems to work for me no problem with no nasty malware/adware attached and can be reversed at any time and doesn't leave anything on your pc once used.

There is a microsoft way of doing it but nowhere near as simple, never10 just does the same for you with one click.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Adobe wants £45 a month, though, which is a bit of a joke if you're a light user only wanting a couple of the apps.

If you only are only interested in photos you can get the Lightroom & Photoshop package for £8.78 per month which isn't so bad considering they are always the latest version.

after that it gets really expensive.

I bought Lightroom version 5 for just short of £100.00 .....Photoshop is more than 3 times that outright 

Lightroom is brilliant for editing photos, and bringing out hidden detail especially if you shoot in RAW. 

It has a bit of a learning curve but once learned you can transform a flat dull image into something to be proud of

• Like 1

Gimp gimp gimpity gimp gimp! I ditched all Adobe and Microsoft products quite a few years ago when I found out just how good open source software had become...not to mention free. I used to swear by Photoshop, but then I started to swear at Photoshop. With Gimp we could write our own scripts for functions far superior to Photoshop.

The only Microsoft product I won't ditch at the minute is Windows 7...

• 4 weeks later...

Poppy that's he 1st task is to download the Macafee software.

I had to do a full rebuild on a mates laptop to win 7 but I couldn't get it onto Win 10, Microsoft jumped onto the laptop 3 times and they couldn't and it won't do win 7 updates so that's tomorrows task to clear that off.

My mini pc was the same kept stalling on reboot to 10 yet again Microsoft jumoped on pc and had a few goes but failed. So told them to just get the win 7 updates running again which they did.

There's no charge for them to try a fix as it's there issue since forcing us to update to 10, a total of 6 hrs between both pc's.

I'm told by people in the industry that I trust that Macafee slows down a host computer by a meaningful percentage so is not something that they would personally do. Personally, on recommendation, I use AVG. I did once have Macafee, things might have changed since, but I was glad to be shot of it. 

• Like 2

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender already installed and is free of charge. When you 'delete ' existing security software, like McAfee/ Norton it switches on automatically . It provides perfectly good protection for most users provided you regularly update windows! 

• Like 1

I got microsoft on chat this afternoon to get the lappy still on 7 that failed win10 to download updates, Got a funny sod on other end who sent links to do the repair, 5 hrs later doesn't work so I'll b back to them after it took a guy next to nothing to repair the other system.

Plus side she said that I can have free win 10 as I tried before the deadline and sent link to make a usb download and fresh install. But I want a working backup of 7 first.

I've used Norton 360 for last few years and they gave me a great deal 10 units including mobiles etc with full latest version and only know it's there if you leave pc alone it put a box up telling you what it's doing and stops when you start again.

You've got to be careful updating either Adobe or Java that you un-tick the box otherwise it loads it up.

• 4 weeks later...

OneDrive is a file storage area "somewhere else" in the network.  The good thing about it is that your data is backed-up there and you can access it from any of your PCs anywhere that has a network connection.  Some people worry that their data is no longer under their control (so someone else might be looking at it).  If that is a problem then don't put that data on OneDrive.

If you right-click on the OneDrive folder, one of the options is "Choose OneDrive folders to sync".  From there you can un-tick folders that you do not want to be saved to OneDrive.

Capture.JPG

If your 2TB disc "dies" then all data not backed-up will probably be lost.  OneDrive is backed up for you, so if a disc "in the cloud" dies your data remains!