Broads Authority In The News Again

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Something new then - hardly worth a story in the EDP!! Same old,same old....!!

You are right there MM, it is very much a case of 'same old, same old'. Hopefully the antics at executive level will start to be more widely reported and something will be done soon to address the pachyderm in the ziggurat. In the current political climate the Broads Authority is an anachronism and is quickly becoming as antiquated and ever so slightly more sinister than the Milk Marketing Board.

It may take a while for the current incumbents of Westminster to differentiate between the terminus of the alimentary tract and medial epicondyle of the humerus but eventually they will get around to implementing policy. Interestingly that policy centers on the removal of the governing structures of organisations, such as the Broads Authority, in rural areas both domestic and foreign, and 'encouraging democratic decentralisation'.  The policy in effect wishes to instate institutionalised democracy into organisations 'in which political agency and access to information are frequently limited by traditional and modern-bureaucratic systems of hierarchy and control'. And that is exactly the case we have with the Broads Authority.

• Like 5

Hi Andy, enjoyed meeting you at Aquafax a few weeks back, nice to put a face to the name. Got sorted out in the end...just got to get the boat in the water now.

To be honest I don't have an answer at the minute, not that I entertain much hope of getting a straight one anyway, but I'm hoping to at least put the question in a couple of weeks time at a faculty dinner. I usually head straight for the free bar on these occasions but might just ask the question...before heading to the free bar of course. I will post if I find anything out.

42 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

With an entirely unelected PM, why should Westminster worry about an entirely unelected BA? 

We have a parlimentary sytem in the UK the PM is just chairman of the cabinet and has no executive authority on His/her own. Even though certain PMs in the past tried to make it seem otherwise. There is no need to spend vast sums of money on a PM election, when all (most of the time) of the cabinet are elected.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We have a parlimentary sytem in the UK the PM is just chairman of the cabinet and has no executive authority on His/her own. Even though certain PMs in the past tried to make it seem otherwise. There is no need to spend vast sums of money on a PM election, when all (most of the time) of the cabinet are elected.

In principle that sounds perfect. Imagine if the civil service that supports our government was to take control, that that civil service was dominated by just one man, that that one man was to seek the replacement of MPs who took issue with him or questioned decisions of his officers, gosh, there would be an uproar and outcry! So why is the Broads Authority allowed to operate in that manner?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In principle that sounds perfect. Imagine if the civil service that supports our government was to take control, that that civil service was dominated by just one man, that that one man was to seek the replacement of MPs who took issue with him or questioned decisions of his officers, gosh, there would be an uproar and outcry! So why is the Broads Authority allowed to operate in that manner?

Now that is a good question.

• Like 1

To that list I would add self aggrandizement.

I agree that it is not dictatorship in the generally accepted sense but in my experience there is a high level of excessive control and manipulation, one man's thumb print will be there. Re the Halvergate saga, no question that moves have been made, and witnessed, by that one man to have an elected representative replaced. No Idia Amin, I agree, but it is certainly an unhealthy and unacceptable level of control. In the private sector it might be acceptable, targeted leadership, but in this instance the job of leader of the Authority is that of the Chairman, not the Chief Executive. The agenda and drive should come from the committee that is theoretically the Broads Authority, not the CEO. 

On 10/08/2016 at 9:19 AM, TheQ said:

I'm tempted - sorely tempted , but we don't 'do' politics on here.....

• Like 1