Norwich, A Fine City!

JennyMorgan

Hmmmm..although I don’t live in Norwich, I visit regularly and consider I know the place pretty well. I don’t think it’s as bad as many other places. You should see what York is like, for example, on race days or Saturday nights. Yes, Prince of Wales Road is best avoided at the weekend but there are a multitude of places where you can enjoy a peaceful evening without any problems. I know, I’ve been there! cheersbar

One of my daughters has DJ'd down there, Maurice, she also has a 'doorman's licence. Believe me, John, it is true, regrettably.

Norwich is a fine city, a good place to eat & drink, the Cathedral area a delight, but the city is let down by the nocturnal yob culture that pervades the POW area. Not just a Norwich thing, I'm sure, but severely in contrast to the city as a whole.

• Like 1

One road has given the Fine City a bad name, ONE ROAD. Rose Street, in Edinburgh has been famous for years, it too has suffered from the yob culture, Glasgow has cleaned its act up, big time, but, I would not go there after 10pm!

I am sure all the cities in the UK have a road that would rather not be known for all the wrong reasons, sadly, today, the modern culture of some is to get blotto every weekend, come what may. Kyle has chosen in this instance, selected, Norwich, I am sure he could if he really tried, picked somewhere else !

cheersIain

• Like 1

Always been a big fan of Norwich so not going to let one area spoil that. Years ago, I went to renew our tolls when the BA were in Colgate and I parked some distance away.  The long walk took me past all the chapels and art shops and was well worth it I can tell you! One good reason to call it a Fine City.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charlesa said:

Try Basingstoke on a Friday/Saturday night, truly wondrous !!

If you find yourself in Basingstoke and you haven't any money,

Other people start to laugh, but you won't think its funny,

So you go along to Barclays Bank, and their 'hole that's in the wall'

but the ruddy things been vandalized and gives no dosh at all.

That's when you start to kick yourself for being so damn fool rash

for going all the way to Basingstoke without your sodding cash!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

If you find yourself in Basingstoke and you haven't any money,

Other people start to laugh, but you won't think its funny,

So you go along to Barclays Bank, and their 'hole that's in the wall'

but the ruddy things been vandalized and gives no dosh at all.

That's when you start to kick yourself for being so damn fool rash

for going all the way to Basingstoke without your sodding cash!

Speeking from experience MM?

NORWICH...........

Is a City on the River Wensum in East Anglia and lies about 100 miles north east from London. It is the regional administrative centre for East Anglia and County town of Norfolk, During the 11th century, Norwich was the largest City in England after London and one of the most important places in the Kingdom until the industrial revolution, Norwich was the capital of the most populous County in England

Now, I don't mean to teach any of you locals to suck eggs or anything :naughty: But I love Norwich, the markets, shops (especially the shoe shops) dining and wine bars (especially the wine bars) even moored at the Yacht Station on a Friday night and not had any problems, a beautiful city in my opinion, I'd rather visit Norwich than London any day of the week

You want to try spending an evening in some parts of the East End on a Saturday night, makes Norwich seem like a Kindergarden :naughty:

Grace

• Like 5

Living in London, it is the "difference" that we come to Norfolk for. Sadly that it's no different from any other city at times diminishes the difference, along with the same shops, parking restrictions etc. I guess this is all inevitable, and perhaps good for local employment etc. but for me, Norwich lost it's appeal. The Broads and surrounding area is now the difference we come for and this has not really dimished.

There was a time when a trip to the Broads meant visiting Norwich for the Market, the shoe shops, the Castle & the Cathedral, folk would probably have visited Oulton Broad too, enjoying the speedboats and a day on the beach at Lowestoft. Great Yarmouth for the Circus & Pleasure Beach and a bag of soggy chips on their market, a visit to Potter & Lathams, Wroxham & Roys. A trip to Pettitts of Reedham might be included, to see 'birds and animals being mounted' as their posters proudly proclaimed during the 1960s. Wroxham, Yarmouth, Oulton Broad and Norwich being the main ports of call. Regretfully, as JohnB has pointed out, the difference has diminished, nevertheless I still think that Norwich is worth a visit, you don't have to visit the any-city-lookalike malls and shopping center, indeed they are best avoided in my opinion, even by us locals.

15 minutes ago, Tangara said:

Your just worried that the olde worlde christmas charm of Holt will be overshadowed by the showy spectacle of Norwich's northern lights .... Remind me ..... How tall is the Holt christmas tree?

Norwich .... bigger, taller, brighter, flashier, busier = BETTER!! :party1:

• Like 2