A Boat Named Broadscot

13 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Hi Alan,

I was wondering if the idea of naming a boat after Iain had been talked about in the Team Room and if this was agreed  has anyone contacted his preferred boatyard?

Jeff

Jeff, Hi.

Apart from Jonzo and Eric the other two mods either own or share boats and when we talked this through (which ended last night) our collective idea was to open the suggestion to all. We have so many hiring Members that it was thought that someone may have better contacts than we do.

Please feel free to make any suggestions and we'd perhaps better start a new topic?   :broadscot

• Like 2

I have to admit to feeling that to have a boat named after Iain isn't actually a very good idea. Please don't get me wrong. I know that the idea comes from the members hearts and is truly a reflection of the affection in which he was held, but how would we feel in years to come when the craft shows signs of neglect.

How we would feel when we witnessed a rowdy stag group on board (if it were in a hire fleet). What would we say if the boat went from one hire company to another and the name was changed.

No, I don't believe this is the way forwards.

• Like 13

I feel much as MM does, but it also puts some pressure on any boatyard asked, would they feel 'obliged' to name a boat, and then would they in future years feel obliged to keep it going after its sell by date had been reached.

with a private boat the owner could get the same feelings about selling the boat.

much as it is a good idea and a lovely sentiment, I do foresee problems going down this route.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kfurbank said:

Just a thought, but would sponsoring a bench somewhere like Wroxham Bridge, Potter Bridge or Ranworth be an idea?

I see maintenance problems cropping up this idea, its good when new, would need varnishing/painting each year, or it would become shabby. Sorry nice idea as is naming a boat...... But long term needs to  be thought about with a chair or boat being named after Iain :broadscot

Charlie

• Like 1

If I may suggest that instead of a bench, a boat name and the like which while most touching and personal to us as a community, the wider world would not have any idea of the meaning or perhaps give respect to such.

I know few met Iain in person but his contribution to this Forum and its many posts with his humorous posts or just the ability to to find reason and calm a situation needs to 'live on in spirit'. 

We have an area of the Forum named in Iain's memory, but I think it would be fitting that at each of our meets there be something physical we do in his memory. Perhaps simply  gather round and toast him with sip of Whisky and pause to reflect?

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

We have an area of the Forum named in Iain's memory, but I think it would be fitting that at each of our meets there be something physical we do in his memory. Perhaps simply  gather round and toast him with sip of Whisky and pause to reflect?

I did sort of propose that Robin for this up and coming spring meet, but not sure it went any further .

Charlie

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

It's a lovely idea but may I also suggest that you all wear tartan troosers whilst line dancing along the bank and eating a plate of haggis :party2::naughty:

That sounds like an arrestable offence!

Seriously though, someone had an idea that we should sponsor a specially adapted boat for an association that provides assisted sailing for the handicapped. I know that JM and Poppy are involved in such charities and the thought of the pleasure and experience it would give, in a boat named Broadscot, would get my vote.

Personally, I would put £100 towards a scheme like that, right now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

And yes that sounds like a good idea Vaughan.

It wasn't my idea but having worked a bit with the handicapped on boats I know the enormous pleasure and therapy that it gives them. If we can help to do that, in the name of Broadscot, then it is something positive.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2017 at 9:12 PM, Viking23 said:

Just a time for reflection, can anyone try to to think what Iain might have wanted, and surely what his wife might want as a remembrance of his life?

Viking, hi. You must have missed this post I put in the "Iain" thread:

On 29/12/2016 at 0:26 AM, andy said:
What about asking Richardson's to name one of their new boats after him

I have just spoken with Ruth at length and of all the suggestions we have had this one overcame her with happiness. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Viking, hi. You must have missed this post I put in the "Iain" thread:

On 29/12/2016 at 0:26 AM, andy said:
What about asking Richardson's to name one of their new boats after him

I have just spoken with Ruth at length and of all the suggestions we have had this one overcame her with happiness. 

Yes I think I did miss it, a lot on my mind at the moment, but I am pleased that Ruth is happy with the suggestion, so on that basis it has my full support.

• Like 1