Cooking Rice Two Ways ... Cooking On The Corsican ... Part .4 ...

CheshireCat

Hey there good people here is this weeks exiting episode of Cooking On The Corsican , this week we take a look at rice and we show you two ways to get great results , the first one is cooking rice by the absorption method great for boaters , second one is my own way and IMHO it is the dogs doo das give it a try please enjoy don't forget to subscribe if you wont to see more thanks cheers ....

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Hylander said:

Loved the absorption method.   However not everyone has a lovely wood/coal burner on board.    So could you put this in the oven on lowest setting perhaps using foil to seal and not your best tea towel.   Just a thought. 

Hey there Hylander yes if you start it in a oven proof pan it could go in a low oven with a lid on but I would have a look at it after bout 40 minutes I think that would do it . I have done it but it was a long time a go I can not really remember but yes it would work ...

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, Hylander said:

Second method was that 3/4 cup of water and same for rice?

May be you could add the recipes on your page please?

The second way is 1 full mug of rice will easily feed three people , first use a large pan 3/4 fill it with water add salt bring to a rolling boil , then add rice and stir let it come back to the rolling boil lid on leave it for 10 minutes stir it a couple of times , after 10 minutes stain in to a colander put some water back in the pot bring it to the boil , put colander on top of the pot lid on the top of your colander allow it to steam for 5 minutes and it's ready to go , you can leave it longer if you want to hope this help you ...

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I always used to use Uncle Bens Long Grain Rice, as it always seemed to cook better than other brands. However, having just watched the two methods, i`l definitely give them a try.  

Thanks for posting that CC.

You will never look back Basmati Rice is delicious there is no better rice out there ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The reason why i always used to use Uncle Bens, was that it always stayed seperate, whereas whenever i cooked other types of rice, it always clogged together, and came out like a lump. I think it`s obvious i cooked it wrong, but now i`ve seen this, i`l give it a try.

Give it a go I would say try the second method it really is easy and works every time  good luck ....

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I prefer the long grain rice in Rice Crispies, but that's just because I'm a big kid.

There is always one ....   M M go sit in the corner.:norty:

Savoury Rice

I have always used and it doesn't fail to do the Delia method.    Knob of butter in a large frypan that has a lid, let it melt add chopped onion.   then add half a pint of long grain rice , stir until coated with the butter and onion,  Add a cinnamon stick and a pinch of salt, then add a pint of boiling water from the kettle, stir and put the lid on at a simmer and leave alone for 10 mins.   After 10 mins turn off the heat , still leave lid on (don't open)  and then your rice is fluffy and separate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hylander said:

There is always one ....   M M go sit in the corner.:norty:

Savoury Rice

I have always used and it doesn't fail to do the Delia method.    Knob of butter in a large frypan that has a lid, let it melt add chopped onion.   then add half a pint of long grain rice , stir until coated with the butter and onion,  Add a cinnamon stick and a pinch of salt, then add a pint of boiling water from the kettle, stir and put the lid on at a simmer and leave alone for 10 mins.   After 10 mins turn off the heat , still leave lid on (don't open)  and then your rice is fluffy and separate.

Delia Smith was probably the first T.V. cooks I really liked she's brilliant excellent her steak pie takes some beating ....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ahh, the Fanny Craddock clip I'd like to find is where she made doughnuts, and Jonny's comment at the end (and honest, this is genuine) he held up a plate of doughnuts saying...

..." Well there you are, may all your doughnuts look like Fanny's"

Fanny new a lot about food , and she could cook but was not a nice person nasty nasty woman sorry ...

• Like 4

I just wanted to mention something about gas, as you were talking about your cooker on the vlog. I noticed that above the safety tap beside the cooker you have a testing point fitted. This is the right place for it but so many boats don't have this.

A qualified fitter can fit a water gauge to this point and test the system for leaks. After that he can test for the correct pressure and this is the pressure at the cooker end of the line, not the gas bottles. For the cooker to work as designed, on Butane, you need 28mb of pressure with 2 gas burners alight. It will then burn with a proper blue flame.

If your gas bottles are "frozen" in the morning, this is because the boiling point of Butane is 31 degrees F, or the freezing point of water. All you have to do is run the engine until you get hot water and then pour a saucepan full slowly over one of the bottles until you get gas. You can then boil a kettle and repeat the process with boiling water to warm the bottle up.

• Like 1