Navigation Report Thurne Pontoons

ChrisB

It appears later in the report that the stumbling block is now litter, with the Parish Council getting in on the act. 

Surely there must be rubbish collection for the private moorings and caravans that could be utilised for a consideration?

As for the Parish Council they should have thought about that when Yarmouth ( I think ) removed the bins. Pontoons or no pontoons the village centre will have that problem with the existing moorings.

Litter is a problem that will not go away until a sensible approach from all parties is made. Or is the landowner angling to reduce his refuse bill?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

It appears later in the report that the stumbling block is now litter, with the Parish Council getting in on the act. 

Surely there must be rubbish collection for the private moorings and caravans that could be utilised for a consideration?

As for the Parish Council they should have thought about that when Yarmouth ( I think ) removed the bins. Pontoons or no pontoons the village centre will have that problem with the existing moorings.

Litter is a problem that will not go away until a sensible approach from all parties is made. Or is the landowner angling to reduce his refuse bill?

Perhaps you could explain why a private business should be expected to underwrite the collection of rubbish from boats with which it has no connection?

Additionally, why adjoining land owners should suffer bags of rubbish being dumped in hedgerows and elsewhere on their property ?

I said for a consideration. That is the BA pay a sum towards the disposal.

As for ajoining land owners if they are suffering fly dumping, that is an offence and has nothing to do with the proposed pontoons  but is a consequence of the removal of the bins by the area councils. It is not unique to Thurne, it is a problem for all the village Staithes where the bins have been removed. 

We know the problem of domestic Vs Commercial but the councils be they area or parish need to stop politics, take a pragmatic, grown up view of the situation and get it sorted.

• Like 7

I was trying to point out that it's just a little unreasonable to have a 'pop' at Parish councils  and the like who have a genuine problem which is not of their making.  For once, the issue is not one for which the Broads Authority is responsible, either.

If anyone is at fault, I suppose it's those who voted for 'austerity '!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The story goes deeper than most of us know, if I believe the whispers that are going along the rhond. Intransigence, but by whom? In a nutshell I really don't think that anyone is entirely blameless on this one.

I think both you and I have a very good idea, indeed possibly some inside information, which neither of us are entitled to share.

20 hours ago, Bobdog said:

I think you'll find that the landowner, who is refusing to sign a lease agreement with the BA and therefore preventing the re-establishment of a 24 hour mooring at this location, is also a leading figure on the parish council.

Bobdog,

Any idea why a man in his 80's might be unwilling to sign a very long lease?

I'll say NO more !

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Bobdog,

Any idea why a man in his 80's might be unwilling to sign a very long lease?

I'll say NO more !

Would any such lease with a 'man in his 80's ' not become void if he doesn't reach his 90's? 

Or maybe the lease could say that?

People normally agree leases to give both parties some security. Who would invest with a 20 year lease if that lease could be ended at short notice? Kind of defeats the object of having a lease in the first place. In that respect leases normally pass onto the next of kin as an asset. As an example who would invest in a flat with a 150 year lease if that lease could be terminated at short notice upon the death of the landlord?

With moorings they are normally leased on a full repairing lease and need to be returned at the end of the lease in a like for like condition. Planning for routine maintenance and upkeep of a mooring on a lease and ensuring funds are available to meet that obligation requires long term planning and the security the mooring will be available for the term of the agreed lease.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

At the end of the day, it's BA's responsibility, tolls are just like council tax. 

The floating walcon pontoons will never happen and a large chunk of well situated moorings will be lost, for what?

So BA can spend your toll money on some more shiny hilux's, some brand new uni-floats that don't fit together properly, buckets that are too big for there machines, dredging operations that remove so little material that it's beyond a joke or persecuting certain people off staithes whilst leaving others alone. 

Broads authority 

"Zero accountability, Zero transparency" 

• 2 weeks later...

No, not at all. Due to who i contract for they won't even consider me for a job. I just happen to know some of the disgruntled employes so hear about what BA is wasting your money. 

Also, Mr Cook is only 75, and he was extremely upset that people thought he might be in his 90's.