Boat Door Locks

Paws

Im not sure I totally agree with the weak lock theory, yes breaking a cheap weak lock may cause less damage but on that sentiment why bother locking our front doors or our cars etc etc 

I would fit a sturdy looking lock in the hope that any would be burglar is going to take a look at it and decide its to much hassle when there are five boats either side with cheap weak door locks!  

This was my theory when i fitted a lockable fuel filler a number of years ago which is still intact and hasnt been ripped out of the deck yet, probably because most other boats moored nearby dont have them! 

In saying that door locks specifically designed for marine use are very expensive, this link may be of help:

http://m.seascrew.com/index.cfm?MARINE-MORTICE-DOOR-LOCKS---LATCHES&l=0000001011

but if you post a photo someone may be able to offer you better advice. 

• Like 1

I seem to recall Polly asking for a local locksmith to repairs onboard locks to keep the origin items serviceable. We have a multitude of door locks onboard 'B.A' and a result a multitude of keys as a result. So I need a local to Stalham locksmith to hopefully get one key to operate the lot

Griff

I does seem that the scumbags will get in if they want to. I left my boat moored in Huntingdon on the Gt Ouse in full view of passers by and the thieving b******s  just ripped the door off its hinges.

Oddly enough all they pinched was the fire extinguisher! I think that what they wanted was the outboard motor fuel pipe which I had in my pocket. There were marks all over the front of the engine where they had let the recoil start loose. It must have taken the dumbos a while to work out that the engine was not connected the tank.

It took ages to repair the damage. Hopefully Mr Wildfuzz will turn a blind eye if I ever find anybody breaking into my boat again! Hopefully (or not) they will be able to swim!  

• Like 1

I think you will find that if they tripped on the mooring rope running away, you would be ok, but if you are seen holding their head under with the mop then you might get in trouble. If you use the mop - remember to shout 'here grab onto this ' loudly so passers by can hear

• Like 9

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I seem to recall Polly asking for a local locksmith to repairs onboard locks to keep the origin items serviceable. We have a multitude of door locks onboard 'B.A' and a result a multitude of keys as a result. So I need a local to Stalham locksmith to hopefully get one key to operate the lot

Griff

Hi Griff,

There is a good locksmith in Norwich A.C.Leigh.

https://www.acleigh.co.uk/branches/norwich

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Since that incident, which I did report to the police, I fitted a cheap car alarm which is on when I leave the boat. The alarm incorporates a trembler facility that senses any forcible damage to the boat.

Also, there is a facility that allows me to turn the alarm on at night when I am in the boat. In the past before I fitted the alarm the boat has been moored up in some fairly dodgy places around the canal system, on a few occasions there has been attempted boardings (never ever on the Broads) and I have had to rely on a stream of really nasty expletives to repel boarders . I get a bit ratty when my sleep is disturbed.:naughty: Scumbags really should not upset me!

Personally, get your equipment marked (I use Smart Water and display a sicker on the boat). Fit an alarm and display the fact on your boat. And....................no I can't say that, that would be naughty. :naughty: