Theft From Motor Vehicles At Beauty Spots

Wildfuzz

Officers issue warning following thefts from unattended vehicles in beauty spot car parks over the weekend.

A handbag was stolen after thieves smashed the window of a vehicle parked at Kelling Heath on Saturday and in a separate incident on Saturday afternoon thieves smashed the window of a vehicle parked at Blickling and stole a Picnic basket.

Beauty spots often attract thieves due to visitors leaving valuables in unattended vehicles.  To try and reduce incidents in your area, consider the following:

• Try to park in sign-posted parking areas
  • Be cautious about parking your car in isolation. Thieves can be put off when other people are around.
  • Do not leave anything in your vehicle. A jacket or coat left behind may be of very little value to you, but a thief may think it has been used to hide a laptop or handbag and will break into your vehicle to find out.
  • Take items with you rather than locking them in the boot, you can't be sure who has seen you.
  • Before you leave home, think about what you need and leave any unnecessary items of value at home.
  • Make sure you do not leave documents that include personal details in your vehicle.
  • Do not leave your sat-nav in your vehicle and don't forget to remove the cradle and wipe the sucker marks from your windscreen.
  • Remember to shut all windows and sunroofs and lock all doors. Activate the alarm and immobiliser.
  • Make use of any security products you might have such as steering locks.
  • Whilst enjoying the sights make sure you keep your bag and possessions with you.
  • Register all your valuables on www.immobilse.com

If you see anyone acting suspiciously around vehicles please report it immediately by phoning 999”.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident or anyone acting suspiciously during the times stated is asked to contact PC Peter Davison at North Walsham Police Station on 101.

Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Thank you.

Sorry Forumites I only seem to be posting doom & gloom recently. :57_cry: Another little tip, if you use a Satnav clean the windscreen when you remove it as the little tell tale circle left is a good indicator to thieves that there is one inside, and besides possibly loosing valuables, it the substantial inconvenience and cost of a smashed window or forced door.

• Like 1

I remember in the dark days, for some regions in the 1980s, as traditional industries collapsed parking in very depressed NW city. In those days I still smoked and left a half empty packet on the car console and got a new packet from the glovebox. My passenger who ws local told me to put it out of sight "As they will have your window in for half a packet of fags"

I also had an office in Nanterre a suburb of Paris. There we emptied the cars and left them unlocked in our compound, once they found there was nothing to take, that was it, no damage.

While In Saudi a friend was outside a car parts place and had just bought a new battery. As he wasn't sure the old one would start the car again, he took the old one out and was busy head under the bonnet doing up the new one when he heard someone run off. When he came up for air he found his old battery had been stolen!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

While In Saudi a friend was outside a car parts place and had just bought a new battery. As he wasn't sure the old one would start the car again, he took the old one out and was busy head under the bonnet doing up the new one when he heard someone run off. When he came up for air he found his old battery had been stolen!!

When they caught him, they had nothing to charge him with lol...

I need to go to the boat more often lol... 

• Like 3

There is an accumlator of bad jokes wired together in this thread, whether we will be charged with discharging our responsibility in a positive or negative connection  or  inducted into a Hall effect of fame, Henry ohmly knows.

• Like 2