Old Broads Boats

webntweb

4 hours ago, w-album said:

Are you sure this is Applegates - it looks terribly like the shed and dyke at Woods where the day boats now  go from?

Sorry for the poor scan but it is the best I can find that shows Applegate's.

219786648_yfk2(1).thumb.jpg.e1072cc2a26672874e0225c668d8e945.jpg

I think the old taxi is standing on the demolished building next to the wet shed. The boat in the foreground looks like it could be a H. C. Banham craft. Interestingly where Phoenix are today has a Herbert Woods sign, I always thought this to be Applegate's as well.

Fred

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Do you know the date?

By the way, I notice the water under the bridge looks rather high . . . .  :default_gbxhmm:

Scanned from a book"The Norfolk Broads a Portrait in old Picture Postcards" compiled by Basil Bowen and published by S. B. Publications in 1990. The author dates the image as circa 1950.

The water might look high but compensated by the craft having a sensible beam and airdraft! :default_norty:

Fred

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, charlesa said:

When you chaps mention Applegate's yard would the Applegate be a relative of Derek Applegate the ex warden of Horsey Mere ?

There may be a family connection down the line but I have no idea. The boatyards title at this time was George Applegate Jnr.

Fred

St Olaves, should have recognized it sooner! Somewhere in my files I have a picture of a wherry unloading at the same staithe as well as a picture with the same tripper with her 'chimbly' down having presumably just passed under the bridge. Name wise Mayfly is a possibility.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 07:27, trambo said:

A nice atmospheric shot by Geoff Stone on Flickr. Parked at Applegate's, had it become part of Woods in 1959?

Trip to the Norfolk Broads, 1959

Isn't the building on the left of the pic part of the Applegates shed?

• Like 1

Found this colourised and much sharper version of the Applegate yard from Carol (Adnams Girl). I see they where on both sides of the bridge not both sides of the river as I thought. Done a bit of research and although unable to date, Wood's bought out Applegate's post-war and the yard kept trading under the Applegate name until 1959.

Fred

Potter Heigham c1920s

• Like 4

Pity the colourist didn't add the final detail and do the Banhams flag, which was a medium red colour.

Banhams stopped hiring in the mid 60s when they were bought by Percivals. They appear in Blakes catalogue of 1964, but not 68. By 1969 Percivals had finished hiring as well and were concentrating on boat sales.

The Broads hiring business was going through another of its recessions, even then!

• Like 3

On 13/07/2020 at 19:38, webntweb said:

The caption on the pic says Pride of the Yare which was a sister ship of the Queen. I think the Pride's last year on the Broads was 1950 as she was used as a trip boat on the Trent from 1951.

Not this one?

DSCF5087.jpg

An old friend used to work at Brooms in the years when they were big in the hire business.  He once told me that they kept one man fully employed in repairing, replacing and building replacement windscreens when they had been smashed by going through bridges without folding them down.

• Like 4

I was hoping someone might have an idea where the photo was taken?

My thoughts turn towards one of the yards on Daisy Broad in Hoveton but whether looking up or down the Broad, I don't know.  In the distance on the other bank is what appears to be a pleasure wherry outside what may be a pub.  The photo does not suggest a great rise and fall of tide so I am thinking it may be on the upper reaches of the north rivers.

I never to my knowledge went into Daisy Broad so can't comment on that suggestion.  My only alternative is Woods Dyke in Horning and the shed on the right was what was Compass Craft/Beardshaws in the 1970s and Ernest Woods/Peter Mallender? in the early 70s?  Trees in the background look quite mature?

Just found this website

http://www.wisearchive.co.uk/story/growing-up-on-the-broads/

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Nice photo, thank you. The Queen of Hearts with the second version of the sliding canopy. The first one got smashed up under Wroxham bridge. So I guess that would date the photo as late 50s or early 60s.

That canopy is a lovely snug fit on the aft cabin, must have kept the air draft nice and low. Was there full standing head room in the saloon/cockpit with it raised?

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I was hoping someone might have an idea where the photo was taken?

My thoughts turn towards one of the yards on Daisy Broad in Hoveton but whether looking up or down the Broad, I don't know.  In the distance on the other bank is what appears to be a pleasure wherry outside what may be a pub.  The photo does not suggest a great rise and fall of tide so I am thinking it may be on the upper reaches of the north rivers.

May I suggest this photograph suggests to me John Williams' yard just before Stalham Staithe.  I think the two small boatsheds may have gone now.  Just a hunch and probably wrong.  The memory is not as reliable as once it was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

That canopy is a lovely snug fit on the aft cabin, must have kept the air draft nice and low. Was there full standing head room in the saloon/cockpit with it raised?

Yes, there was. One of Blakes' standards in those days was 6ft headroom. I think that meant only down the middle. Probably not in the toilet compartment!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, expilot said:

May I suggest this photograph suggests to me John Williams' yard just before Stalham Staithe.  I think the two small boatsheds may have gone now.  Just a hunch and probably wrong.  The memory is not as reliable as once it was.

Yes, I think I can see that! So the "pub" on the other side would be Staithe House, with Stalham Yacht Station (now Simpsons) in front. So the Queen of Hearts is moored on the original part of Richardsons yard, later known as "Billy's hanger".

• Like 1