Never Ending Story

Malanka

Ok so after two glorious weeks we are back at Stalham not anticipating with any enthusiasm the 12 hrs behind the wheel tomorrow.

But we have some very encouraging news. Phil helped meย measure ( water tanks almostย ย empty) the air draft after all the new wood had been fitted. Last time we did this after some planking it had a good effect on the airdraft. So plumb line in hand and totally flat water we measured. Six feet six and a half inches at the tip of the pulpit rail and six feet six at the wider part with the vents on the cockpit roof ( roof down) which is such good news I just had to tell you all. I had a hint after doing wroxham bridge at six eight and having bags of room. So Potter will hold no fears for me now. I just have to get Fiona to let me.ย 

ย 

Mย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here we are in Switzerland and NOT in Beccles.ย 

ย 

We we were having a lovely two up cruise just Fiona and myself and we had just had a lovely evening with Alex and Lorna from Braveheart whilst moored at the beautiful setting that is the waterside inn in Brammerton. If you've never been it is so worth a visit. The staff are lovely and the food is exceptional.

ย 

next morning plan was to pootle down to Loddonย visit the fantastic butchers there and barbecue with Braveheart Thursday and BA and crew on Friday. As is quite normal for old woodies, the lovely old lady or cantankerous old biddy depending on your view of life decided otherwise. We headed to Brundle to pump out Braveheart and fill up Mal with water, jobs done we attempted to reverse out of the mooring we were in and brmmm brmm, engine on no gearbox action, oops try again, brrm brrm, er noooop. Oh bother dash I said. Quickly rushing to the decks to throw Alex and Lorna a line each to tug us back to the quayside. We were stuck.ย 

ย 

I went to see the very helpful Tom in the Broom main office and ask for their assistance and despite being incredibly busy he left his desk and dived head first into Mals nether regions to check out the gearbox for us. After adding some oil and a quick check it was still no go. It was then I remembered two squeaks I heard when we moored up. Ah said Tom sounds like the plates. Can you fix it for us I asked, of course we can said Tom. Unfortunately not until Monday as everyone is booked out on jobs. This effectively killed the weekend and is just fate when stuff happens. Tom arranged for Mal to be taken to the under cover shedย to wait for the guys to sort her out and we started to notify people of our non participation in the Beccles meet et al.ย 

ย 

We we also had to make arrangements to get home so phones in hand Fiona and I did what we could. We formulated a plan and with the help of Alex who kindly drove us to Stalham we packed up the boat , packed Millie the girl from Coventry ( She isย a car) and headed to the Ramada just outside Dover to sleep one night and catch the early doors P&O ferry to Calais in the morning. The journey there was fun as it was a sunny day we had the top down and listened to 8 cylinder music all the way. We found an AMAZING Indian restaurant the Rajmahal just by the hotel and as we hadn't eaten all day we stuffed our faces with whatever we fancied. The staff were marvellous, food was amazing and if you're ever in the area Whitfield near Dover, then go you won't regret it.ย 

ย 

So so here we are back in Bern, where yesterday it was 30 degrees and now we get to pick up Monty our new Airedale horse sorry puppy tomorrow instead of next Thursday.ย 

ย 

Thanks to to everyone who helped us Tom at Brooms, Alex and Lorna and the Rajmahal guys for a super meal.

ย 

if you want to see Mal check out the Broom FB page there is a picture there of her , we didn't add that she was broken it didn't fit with the spirit of their post. But there she is for all to see in the place of her birth in 1952.ย 

ย 

More to to come when we have news.ย 

ย 

M&F

• Like 3

So sorry to hear all this. After such a long time awaiting the return to cruising, it must be a bitter disappointment to be missing the Beccles do. But that's boats for you.ย All you can do is be philosophical about it and remember s**t happens - usually at the worst possible time!

Know how you feel, we put Brilliant into a shed for winter TLC and what with one thing and another, she is now tucked up at a yard of our choice and won't be back on the water until spring, 18 months later. But we do know that when she goes back she will be right.

M&F

ย 

I have an apology toย make.

You were moored at Coltishall Lock last week, when 3 adults and 2 kids walked past with 2 dogs. One being a border terrier. We had a chat, I tried to do ate my border to you but never actually noticed you were aboard Malanka until you passed us the following morning and waved.

I do apologise, and would like to offer you my dog as a way of making it upย :default_biggrin:

ย 

I hope we meet you again and good luck with your boat

Hi Folks

ย 

Malanka is fixed. The drive plate was the issue and it has been replaced. The heat exchanger filler was loose too and has been re-sealed and fixed also. River trials today (just an excuse to cruise up and down I think).

ย 

Invoice hopefully raised Friday paid Friday via IBAN then she will stay there until we can arrange transport back to Stalham were some lovely brand new non-ball fenders await to be fitted, so she will look very dapper in her new livery and fendage.ย 

ย 

A volunteer has been found and the plan is Next Friday trip back to Stalham. I'm sure if someone wanted to go for a nice trip on the river and wanted to accompany said volunteer I'm sure that could be arranged.ย ย ย PM me...

• Like 1

I'd just sorted out a new suitcase for Martin after hearing his gearbox had broken! Very pleased to hear Malanka is mended...I will be trundling between Martham and Wroxham on Friday, by road, so may get to wave her into the shed.

ย 

Thanks Mate why not go for a float and enjoy the experience of Breydon on a Broom. He he yes I know there's connotations to that phrase thats why I used it your nunship.ย 

ย 

M

ย 

P.S. You're totally bonkers mate...

Floating about on a boat would be fantastic but...I have an appointment with a gallon of bilge paint, a belt sander, a vat of filler and a random orbital sander. ย After that...I suppose I'd better work on getting my boat back in the waterย :default_norty:,ย before I run out of time to get afloat for next season.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 9 months later...

OK so time for a quick update before we head out for two weeks floating fun.

We have bitten the bullet and decided to go a little bit 21st century with Malanka, now don't get too excited we're not fitting p***y buttons or a warp drive. That's bow thrusters or a beta /nani to you lot.

What we are trying out is some LED lighting in the saloon and the galley, six warm white LED bulbs are on trial for their lives as we loved the warm ambiance glow from the old 12v lamps. Problem with warm ambiance is it's very dark if a little bit atmospheric so warm white LEDs it is.

In addition we have added another 165 AH AGM battery with its associated 47kg of additional weight. This now gives us 825AH of domestic and inverter power which not even the offsprings phones computers and god knows what lighting until 4 am will use up. 282 kg of batteries amidships will do wonders for the airdraft too. The linoleum roof has had a coat of PVA to get it through the summer before being completely removed and the original electrics from 1952 removed too in the last leg of the Malanaka transformation. What you now see as the white painted bits on the top of the cabin sidesย either side of the grey linoleum is in fact original trackmark painted so much the finish is now smooth. Brown Trackmark will replace this alongside brand new grey linoleum roof after the season is over (post Oct 2018).

Malanka will hopefully start 2019 fully restored 66 years after her original commissioning.

Our starter battery was found to have aย defective cell in it which caused all sorts of charging issues for us which hopefully will now be a thing of the past. Smart chargers are great unless you have a defective battery ... Note to self... check regularly.

Hopefully we will be adding a couple of walk onย solar panels as well, just under the masty thing which we will try out and transfer to the new roof at the end of the season.ย The idea of all this is to give us more flexibility to decide not to have to go anywhere if we don't want to.

Jeckells came through with the wheelhouse side blinds so we will now have a lot more privacy in the wheelhouse at night time should we wish to use them. They really kept out the cold in the early season (Easter cruise).

So as you can read it's all almost finally coming together and just one more little push at the end of 2018 and we will be at the end of the big restoration bits phase and into the drip drip drip phase of woodie ownership. Almost finished after 8 years, which was definitely not in our minds 8 years ago when we first parted with some of the legacy from Fiona's mums passing.ย ย Thank you Catherine a MILLION TIMES OVER..XXXXX

Anyone who wants to can come visit us at the wooden boat festival in Beccles 2018. Bring dog treats Boris and Monty love presents.

ย 

495786374_WorldcupBorisandMonty.thumb.jpg.ad503734ff674e574b3dc69828e1e1f9.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

OK just a quick update following the summer cruises.

New batteriesย worked a treat and we didn't come near low or no power available for the fridge. Less successful were the LED lighting. "Warm white" was the description, major surgery operating room is more like it. Oh dear back to the drawing board with less "glaring" harsh tones is required. Phil says he has some so let's see what they look like.

Currently the lady is having herย injector pump repaired as there was a very very slow drip leak, more noticeable as a smell really, and an full engine service in preparation for the autumn cruise.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

Drip leak has been repaired on the fuel pump, full engine service performed and new,ย less dentist waiting room LEDs,ย fitted in the saloon.ย 

We will be out from the 13thย October please feel free to drop in and say hi. The party will be Fionaย myself and the two aireloons. We may head south depends on weather , may just cruise about ooop north. We do intend to play as many two penceย machines as we can and just have fun.ย 

ย 

This will be our last cruise before the top is effectively ripped off Malanka and new stuff done. We are anxious to enjoy our cruise but also apprehensive about the last restoration parts. Kind of we know it has to be done BUT. Itโ€™s a major investment but we think worth it.ย 

Martin Fiona Boris and Monty.ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness! Finished, whatโ€™s that.ย 

I canโ€™t say finished without mentioning the dreaded word.

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  VARNISH

Last restoration parts refers to big boat bits. Internal varnish is like the forth road bridge , a true โ€œnever ending storyโ€

ย 

M