Telephone Warning

Just got this from my sister.

DO NOT phone these numbers back!! WARNING THIS NUMBER 07677847913*** has rang me 5 times over 3 days I try to ring back and no answer... So just googled it and it's been ringing a lot of ppl and costing them money, I just rang my phone provider and for JUST RINGING it has cost me £42 and for one single text £14. Share away please people, don't get stung, and this one 08439771923 A Number doing the rounds folks, it rings once hoping for you to call them back. It's known as a Cost trap, this number initiates a call that costs £57 plus. copy n paste this on your page

Please share

• Like 4

There are several websites which list "scam" numbers, you can also leave numbers with your comments on their validity. If you have been caught unawares immediately report to your provider, they are usually very supportive and will ensure no surprise billings.

I had a different one this morning, phone rang so I answered, they asked for me by name, so I said yes.

Then he started (with a slight foreign accent) some spiel, I answered straight away, if you are after selling me anything the answer is no.

he responded with we are not selling you anything, we are going to repay the interest on a loan - goodbye said I

I know that a bank would have announced itself with the bank name first thing, plus they would never phone, they would send a letter.

the number was 07949582533 - one google rating tells me this is a telemarketer trying to get your ppi claim.

Noticed lately that we have had a few calls showing as local area numbers but when answered they are supposedly from talk talk technical department informing me of a fault with our broadband and that they need to access the computer de dah de dah!

strange that we left talk talk over a year ago not long after they were hacked ..... depending on my mood at the time, I'll either string them along until they realise I'm taking the p*** or just hang up.

been getting the calls for ages but the local number is a recent change.

needless to say they are all Indian sounding callers

01603 952417 is a company that appears to go under various names, First Anglia, Anglia First or Debbage & Tubby, a Norwich based double glazing company offering a Green Scheme buy back on windows over ten years old. I asked who was funding the buy-back and was told it was the Glass & Glazing Federation. I phoned the Federation only to be told, surprise surprise, that they make no such funding available and know nothing about such a scheme whatsoever. Double glazing call centres, grrrrrrr, don't we just love 'em!  

HI

Just a word of thanks for the heads up on these scam phone calls. I received one this morning(7.30am). The time immediately puts you into panic mode. If I had not read this warning on the forum I am pretty sure that I would have called the number back. Many Thanks

• Like 3

If you're with BT, activate "Call protect". It's free, and you can then put any number you don't want to hear from into a blocked list. All the above numbers are now in mine! Thanks for posting them, and keep them coming.

Go online and log in to your account. Then, at the bottom of the page there's your "extra services". It's down there somewhere. I think you can also set it up over the phone, but don't know how to go about that. You can immediately block the last call you received by dialling 1572, besides adding numbers manually.

BT spiel follows:

BT Call Protect - 'How to...' guide

BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail.

Customers with this service can send calls to their junk voicemail by setting the preferences below:

• BT Blacklist - We've identified a list of nuisance callers. Calls from these numbers will be sent to your junk voicemail. Our blacklist will significantly cut the amount of unwanted calls you get. We’ll turn it on by default when you get BT Call Protect
  • Personal Blacklist - You can add the last call you answered from your home phone, or any other phone number at bt.com/btcallprotect > to your own blacklist. This means that any future calls from those numbers also go to your junk voicemail. This feature will also be automatically switched on, but won’t have any numbers until you add some
  • Individual Call Types - You can choose to send all calls from certain categories to your junk voicemail. The three call types are:

✓ International numbers
    ✓ Withheld numbers
    ✓ Unrecognised numbers (shown as 'unavailable' on caller display or on 1471)

If you don't already have BT Call Protect you can order it online at: www.bt.com/callprotect

Once you've got it, you can manage all your settings online via www.bt.com/BTCallProtect > or from your home phone by dialling 1572, which is free.

Edited by Regulo
To correct number in my original message
  • Like 1