Ranworth Breeze April 2017

We are sat on Ranworth Breeze watching the TV, Tan is doing here crocheting, I have just finished checking today's posts.

This morning started we me getting up at 6.30, Tan at 7.30 showered and the breakfast over we packed the car, we set off at 9.30 and traveled directly to Brundall. We arrived outside the Yare at 12.50 not to bad a journey but travelling behind tractors slowed us down somewhat. We even managed 40 miles to the gallon, our best fuel consumption on this journey. 

We sampled the Yare's fare, but opted for the soft drinks because we wanted to go to Beccles to do our food shopping, after we had emptied the car boot onto the boat.

Shopping done all the bags loaded onto the boat, Tan dealt with the clothes while I sorted out the food and drinks, so fridge full of beer:naughty: only joking maybe a couple of bottles or three.

We checked out the guides on the TV, needless to say nothing on, so it looks like a DVD later and then early to bed.

Regards

Alan & Tan 

• Like 10

Enjoy your time afloat!

You caught me out again Alan. Having mentioned soft drinks and a trip to Beccles I was waiting for you to get underway, thinking that's a lot of hours at the helm to do your shopping ... and then you had an early night! :facepalm:

• Like 3

Tan had me up at 7.30 am this morning so we could go up the the show block, ablutions done back for breakfast and a couple of crosswords. I checked my emails and the forum posts, Grace had left far to many shoes by the forum door, debating whether to send her a warning:naughty: only kidding!

It was raining first thing so we went up to the entrance car park  and called into the marina office for some more electric cards and to pay our mooring fees for the year, ouch!

We walked up to the station and had to wait only a few minutes for a train into Norwich we both like trains so the journey was good, we have never been on the train to Norwich before, we have usually moored at Commissions Cut and caught a bus into Norwich.

We had only just left Norwich station when I had a call asking about one of the shares for sale, we have arranged a viewing now for tomorrow morning.

We figured out which way to go and eventually went on one of the more dire roads into the shopping area. Once into the pedestrian shopping roads we thought about lunch. We halted outside a window full of cakes and decided this must be the place for us, Tan had a mushroom omelette and I had a cheese one, I finished off with Black Forrest  gateau and Tan had a gluten free marble cake.

http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/norwich.aspx

We went around the market and found a cheese stall so I had to stop, I bought a large piece of Black Bomber and a small piece of Oxford Blue (I was surprised they had some), Tan bought some wool and that was about our extent of our visit to Norwich, very much the same as most cities but with the added bonus of a river running through it. We looked at a couple of boats moored near to the Yacht Station from the bridge before heading back to the station to get out train.

We sat on the back of the boat under the canopy with sunshine pouring in but rather cool to take the canopy down. I made Tan a gin & tonic (a good measure) and myself a beer and watched a bit of the snooker on the TV.

Southern Crusader has just left the marina and we have seen a fair bit of coming and going in the marina this afternoon.

All for now.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

Hi Alan, yes it was raing when we left Lodden. In fact the wipers decided to stop working just past Pyes Mill!

We have decided the next train visit to Norwich we will get the tour bus from the station and learn some the history and save a long walk in and out of the centre.

paul

• Like 2

Day 3.

Awoke around 7.00 am and got ready to go to the showers, we could hear the staff at the bistro prepping for breakfast/lunch above us, back to the boat for breakfast.

Mike came to look at the boat a little after 9.00 am, he was suitably impressed, we offered to take him for a trial on Ranworth Breeze, but he wished to let us get on our way and for him to set off on his 2 hours journey back home.

Canopy down we set off, “left hand down a bit sir” dodging the small yacht’s having a race across the entrance to the marina.

Yacht’s passed Tan levered me off of her chair. We were following Moonlight Shadow for a while (I think Sue is aboard this week).

We went passed the Chet so we could call into the Ferry Inn for lunch, passing the chain ferry we turned and moored outside of the pub. Tan had a baked Brie & beetroot tart with fries and salad. She said it was very good, pity it was on purpose lump of concrete! I had the beef, I should have known better (I am always disappointed with carvery style meals) but there was little on the Sunday menu for me. At least it was on a plate, the pudding was good however.

Whilst in the pub we saw Moonlight Shadow pass us and also Lightning; we reversed off of the mooring and headed for the Chet, it was a slow passage, we caught up with Lightning who was held up by a boat towing what could only be described as wreck, the helmsman on Lightning waved at us. When we eventually got into the staithe and moored up it turned out be Neil (Speedtriple), we showed each other around the boats and had chat. It was a good job that we got to the staithe fairly early because it was almost full by early evening.

Canopy up we settled down to watching the snooker whilst playing a few games of Rummikub, upto now I am 5 games to Tan’s 2, Tan blames it on the Gin, I am not sure if that is to little or to much.:naughty:

Jacket potatoes in the oven so we can reduce the cheese mountain a tad, more snooker, coffee and in bed a little after 10.00 pm.

DSC_0501.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

DSC_0503.JPG

DSC_0504.JPG

• Like 7

Day 4

We were up again at 7.00 am, it was cold but we didn’t want to put on the heating, but the boat next to us started its engine so the heating went on now everyone was awake on the moorings, Neil on the other side of us came out in his dressing gown to top up the electric post.

Breakfast done we walked up the village, Neil & Karen were in the café, called in the DIY looking for some air fresheners and walking stick rubbers (we use these on the boarding ladders, sadly their only stock was too small & too large and the wrong air fresheners. So up to the co-op for a few items.

Back to the boat canopy sides and front down, mud weight lifted and mud cleaned off, we left the mooring with 10p still on the meter. Tan was at the helm but my phone started part way down the Chet when we were back in the land of the living. Calls sorted relating to the sale of one of our shares.

On leaving the Chet Maffetts Titan had salvaged the sunken boat above Cantley, it was lashed to the side of Titan with a pump still pumping out the salvaged boat, it would take them well over an hour to back to Maffetts yard, we certainly set off at the right time.

I put a few sausages in the oven and by the time we moored up back at Brundall our lunch was ready, I always love the smell of food cooking wafting through the door onto the helm.

I had already phoned Jeckells regarding how our screen cover was going on, Tony phoned me back to say they would fit it tomorrow, a knock on the window one of the Jeckells team arrived with the cover, nice of them; he needed to make some adjustments so he will be back in the morning, mind you it started raining just after he arrived.

Due to the bad weather we have stayed on the boat, me doing the boats accounts, Tan putting another row on her blanket.

I phoned John to ask him to send me a new NBN Burgee to the Marina Office.

All for now.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

Counting down to our time afloat so enjoying reading about your trip ... is it a bit chilly up there this week? April is quite an unpredictable month!

We had snow here south of Norwich this morning !

• Like 1

Day 5 & 6

Tuesday Day 5

We awoke somewhat later this morning but went for a shower, we left and went to Brian Wards, I needed a new wind indicator, back at the boat a little after 8.00 am so we would be ready in case Jeckells arrived early.

A couple of crosswords and breakfast done we were set for the day.

Jeckells arrived before 11.00 am, I fitted the wind indicator and we set off with the canopy up but the front sides out and also the screen, it was still somewhat damp.

I took us out of the marina but Tan soon took over, on passing Brundall Gardens we both commented that we had not seen the floating bedroom away from its riverside moorings, it is however well looked after by the look of it, always clean.

We arrived at Brammerton Common and moored at the first electric post we came to just in time before the heavens opened, electric on and the aerial up we were going to watch the snooker, not to be no signal both on the TV and on both phones. People kept arriving and the mooring were almost full. We settled down to a few games of Rummikub, did I mention that I was winning up to now.

We were going to go to the Waters Edge but decided to have an all day breakfast rather than turn out in the rain. After a late breakfast we watched a DVD before going to bed at 11.15: stop ups or what.

Wednesday Day 6

We left the small dehumidifier on in the galley overnight (we normally do this it cuts down on the condensation in the lounge) we also have a number of the standard moisture traps dotted about. By the time we got out of bed at eight o clock the electric on the post had run out, rather than going out in the rain I boiled the kettle on the gas and we had bread and marmalade rather than toast.

It rained, we had hail the size of small peas so we waited a while before we set off the marina, not much wind about this morning so even with the canopy up we almost had a perfect mooring back into our berth, the canopy act like a sail and even with the canopy down if the wind blows hard down the main channel into the marina it can be tricky at times.

We set off  in the car to Wroxham, we called in Broom’s to settle our Winter service bill, it all seems to be paying out in this early part of the season, we later paid for our new carpet bill at Jeckells.

We parked up at Roys and bought a few items, I needed a pair of jeans, I looked at new deck shoes and promptly put them down again, I might see if my old ones can be re-stitched.

We then went into the supermarket for more food, note no beer or wine.

Grace you can check my temperature later.:naughty:

We went to the Broads Authority office on Station Road, it was closed for staff training, and we would have to call back after 2.00 pm.

We went to Ken instead and had the special, do pensioners not have peas, we added them to the bill, very nice they were too.

Back to the Broads office and were dealt with by  very pleasant lady who would have swapped the dozen old electric cards we had on the boat if she had had any, she took our name and address  and would post replacements to us, she knew about the issue of cards falling into the base of the posts, by all accounts they had received a number of complaints. Back to the car we left Wroxham, showers at the marina before returning to the boat. Unpacked we put the aerial up and settled down to watch the snooker, no problems in the marina with reception and of course also the wifi, aerial up it started to rain again.

Currently hardly a cloud in the sky, the wind has dropped again and the sun is going down.

All for now.

Regards

Alan & Tan 

• Like 5

"on passing Brundall Gardens we both commented that we had not seen the floating bedroom away from its riverside moorings, it is however well looked after by the look of it, always clean."

:grin:

I spend too much time playing with the little Broom and cleaning both boats. 

I have  been a bit off colour the last year so I have tended to use the boat as a base to rest up in and watch the world go by and the Broom as a  day boat. The replacement burgee will be up by the end of May when  we are up next. 

Enjoy your holiday. 

• Like 5

You can NEVER put a price on shoe's :facepalm:Alan, loving your holiday tale, good to hear you're relaxing and not working too much, thermometer's ready and waiting, where would you like me to stick it?..............under your tongue or under your arm, honestly, where did you think I meant? :naughty:

Grace

• Like 2

Day 7

I forgot to mention that we got locked in the boat yesterday, so I had to get out of the forward escape hatch and then re-unlock the door from the outside, we have not had this issue for a number of years since we replaced the lock.

Tan got up this morning at 7.00 am while I drifted for about half an hour, breakfast and crosswords done, we took the rubbish to the waste bins on site at Tingdene.

Back to the boat we took the canopy fully down and set off for Beccles, while Tan was at the helm I was getting lunch ready, a Yorkshire Pudding (it turned out a bit sad because of the gluten free flower, even two large eggs did not make it rise fully), someone had left some mixed herbs on board, so I sprinkled some onto the batter after pouring it into the tin, dry fried bacon and mushy peas, not everyone’s taste but it went down well when we stopped at Somerleyton, we followed a wide beam barge into the moorings.  

We set off again and had to wait a while for the bridge to open, two of us at the northern end and Josephine (the superb Dutch barge moored on the river at Brundall Gardens, I would love to look around it) on the southern side.

It was drizzling by the time we got to the Beccles junction; we carried on for about half an hour until I decided we would steer from the lower helm and bring the seating inside.

When we got to the 4 mph section I went back to the upper helm whilst we moored in the Yacht Station. The other boat that was waiting for the bridge a Broom Captain followed us into the yacht station. His shore power hook up was slightly short so I lent him one of our extension overnight, other crews have helped me out in the past, this is what boating is all about.

Canopy up electric on, fees paid we sat down to watch the snooker.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 5

Day 8 & 9

Friday.

We awoke at Beccles and waited till after 8.00 am the use the showers, there was talk over three years ago that the toilet/shower bock would be rebuilt for boat use only.

These facilities are outdated, poorly maintained and to be honest very dirty, Tan said she would not use them again unless refurbished.

The Broom skipper brought back our cable we had lent him. We prepared for our departure by taking the canopy down and Tan bagged the helm all the way past the Waveney River Centre, we were chasing in front of a very dark cloud, we were contemplating going to Oulton Broad so I could go into Jeckells, the cloud was going that way so we turned up river towards Somerlayton.

Sadly we had to wait 25 minutes for the bridge to open. We moored on the waiting platform and had a brew. We managed to get onto the first section of the Somerleyton mooring by one of the electric posts, we left the canopy down for the time being whilst we had lunch and watched the snooker.

After the afternoon snooker we put up the canopy after checking out the weather, all snug we had a few games of Rummikub finishing the evening at 21 plays to 17, Tan pulled back about 4 games today.

After the evenings snooker we managed to find a program on channel 5 + 1 called Brits go Barging about in the Sunshine, it featured a few families and individuals on the canals, Tan wanted the ex Bond Girl to sort herself out and get her hair out of the food she was preparing. The Elvis impersonator to be honest seemed to be the sanest of the people featured.

Coffee, crosswords and bed after checking the ropes.

Saturday

I woke at 6.00 am but stopped in bed until 7.30 am, Tan went first and made the breakfast, my beauty regime done (cat lick, deodorant and cloths and glasses on). We prepared for castoff, I had already taken a bag of rubbish to the bins in the stockade (well done whoever managed to retain this service here). Back to the boat we took the canopy down and set off from the moorings, we just drifted out into the river, it can be difficult at times leaving the mooring here (a bit like Stokesby).

Tan came up and took over the helm after doing the tiding up, just in time for the New Cut, at the other end I went in line after about a dozen yachts, the Reedham Bridge had been left open for them all, so I fell in line at the back, waves done for the bridge operator we passed through Reedham and past the ferry.

We kept passing a number of the yachts a few were in sail who were tacking whilst others were under power, far too many for you Grace! A few hire boats were a little unsure how to deal with the tacking yachts.

We passed the last one before we got into Brundall and the Marina. We moored up and raised the canopy. I left Tan on the boat whilst I went to Wards, the hardware shop and called in for milk.

I had called Jeckells regarding a slight leak on our canopy through the stitching around one of the window sections, I thought that they would use some form of wax on the stitching, they told me to get some beeswax, luckily the hardware shop had some sticks of beeswax. I called in the marina office to pick up a package bought from the forum shop, thank you John for the forwarded new burgee. 

We were waiting for visitors to arrive to meet us in the marina, Liz & David (fellow owners) who live nearest to the boat. When they arrived we had a chat and then walked up to the East Hills bistro for a late lunch.

Back to the boat once our visitors had gone home we settled down for the snooker. Its now the best part of the day.

All for now.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Day 10, 11 & 12

Sunday.

After breakfast Tan walked up to the shower block whilst I did some work on the computer. When Tan got back to the boat I went into the engine bay to tighten the stern gland, the locking nuts had not been tightened correctly.

Job done and excess water pumped out from the area under the engine we tidied up and decided to get under way, canopy down we headed towards Brammerton.

We passed the Ferry House Inn and saw Ian & Marina waving from their boat, we ventured on to find Brammerton Common full, as always there might have been some space if the gaps left had been smaller, there were two of the Dutch barges double moored and two larger cruisers likewise.

The Waters Edge moorings were full as expected, so we headed towards Norwich, no space at Commissions Cut, but we saw quite a few boats moored outside of the cut. Onwards and upwards we thought we would try our luck at the Whitingham moorings, there would have been some space if the Broards Authority launch had been on patrol, of course large spaces between some o the boats, I was trying to moor up on the low extension (canoe mooring only) pity the sign was only on the floor of this pontoon and could only be seen when you had almost moored.

I had already put sausage and bacon in the oven so we ate on the move whilst going back toward Brundall.  Still no space at Brammerton but there was some space at the Ferry House, Marina helped us in and we met up with Ian, Marina suggested that we had better go into the pub to sort out the mooring and check if there was any space for a meal that evening. We were booked in for 7.00pm and the mooring was ok.

Aerial up and snooker on for the afternoon session we watched TV until it was time to go to the pub, Ian & Marina had also booked for 7.00 pm.

We had a good meal and spoke with Ian & Marina who were on the next table.

We left after the main course too full for a pudding. On arriving back at the boat I remembered that I had not paid the tab, so back top the pub to apologise for leaving the pub without paying.

Snooker watched coffee and bed.

Monday

We awoke and started the day with breakfast, the kettle on the gas and no toast this morning being as we were not on shore power.

We saw Ian & Marina depart from the moorings, we waved but they may not have seen us. After our daily checks we sent off back to Brundall and the marina.

We had lunch before I started cleaning the outside of the boat, Tan was cleaning inside of the boat, so she could keep an eye (or ear) on the snooker. It takes about three hours to clean the outside of the boat, this is good practice and I try to do it myself (rather than getting someone else to clean it) so I can check the gelcoat for any problems or new marks. The forwards large round fenders required some air in them, so I removed them and sorted out the draw strings on the fender socks that were trailing in the water, pumped them up and re-fitted them the other fenders were all intact and required not work, I had done work on them during our season start weekend. I checked & refilled all the moisture traps.

We finished our work and went up to the showers. We had arranged to visit one of owners who has moved from London to Watton, around 40 minutes we had arrived and were greeted by Graham & Jan we had a good meal and chattered until it was dark before leaving at 10.30 pm. A quick coffee and bed, we had to be up early in the morning.

Tuesday

Up by 6.30 am breakfast finished I started hovering the inside of the boat whilst Tan cleaned the aft bathroom (she had done the forward one yesterday) polishing done we were waiting for Mike & Mette to arrive at the boat, they phoned about 9.00 am from the Mc Donald’s just outside of Brundall to have their breakfast, I asked if they could give us half an hour while we finished off getting the boat ready.

Mike & Mette, arrived just before 10.00 am I showed them around the marina and the facilities, toilets , wet rooms and the Bistro. Back at the boat we showed them were everything was, how it operated and where it was stowed both inside the boat and outside. The hidden cutlery draw was mentioned and also the emergency tiller that is stored in the back of the aft cabin wardrobe.

We showed how to take down the canopy and roll up the panel sections, ropes untied and shore power cable removed we set off to the Broom’s fuel station in order to show our new owners that we have to moor port side on in order to gin access to the two toilet tank outlets, pumped out and fully fueled up we left the fuel station, Malcolm said the fuel had reduced 2 P per litre so including the 2 pump outs just under £65.00 for 12 days on the boat, our lowest yet.

We set off and proceeded to show Mike the boat in action, he was at the helm after leaving the fuel section, in the 6 mph area I showed mike that Ranworth Breeze will come to a full stop within its boat length and its turning circle, the emergency stop done, we slowed down whilst passing Brundall Gardens even though in my opinion it is incorrectly posted as being 6 mph. We practiced port and starboard mooring before calling into the Waters Edge for lunch, we had the last available table inside, a good meal, pleasant company and an attentive landlord.

Replenished we headed back to the Marina, Mike did a perfect stern on mooring, dock ropes on the boat was tied up and we went into the boat to sign the purchase contracts.

Mike did not require to much training because he used to have his own boat moored at Broom’s, smaller than Ranworth Breeze, but mike had skippered a 45 foot yacht and has his day skippers ticket.

We said our goodbyes, not really wanting to leave the boat our home for the last 12 days.

We left Brundall to go to Liz & David’s for them to counter sign the share they had just sold, they have retained a share in the boat. We left their house which is around 40 minutes from the marina at 6.30 pm. It took us about the same tome to get home a little over 3 hours, a heavy laden car emptied we settled down to a cup of tea and a bite to eat before settling down for the rest of the evening.

All until September on Ranworth Breeze, we are however going on the four counties ring on the 20th May for a week with our usual crew.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 6