Discarded Rubbish

Berneyarms

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

WDC, grrrrrrr, they don't want you to put grass cuttings in your black bin when you could pay £45.00 extra for a green bin. Totally daft as I can still bag it & take it to the recycling centre and no one bats an eyelid!

Did you buy your car so that it could double up as a dustcart? I don't think so! That's the viewpoint from which  I see this deplorable situation.

Carole

• Like 1

Im sorry to do this but it needs saying......

NOBODY IN THIS THREAD IS BLAMING ANY HIRE YARD BARNES BRINKCRAFT OR OTHERWISE FOR FLYTIPPING!

ALL that has been suggested is it might be worth POLITELY letting them know about it.  They then might or might not want to discuss it with their customer that would be entirely up to them.

It is not their fault and unless I am on another frequency nobody is laying anything at their door!!!!!!!

fgs (for goodness sake) !!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kfurbank said:

I'm quessing, if he hadn't left his name lying about in fly tipped rubbish, it wouldn't have happened.

3 hours ago, Poppy said:

Well done Berney ! A little more 'name and shame ' wouldn't come amiss!!

There was meant to be a wink at the end of my comment :grin:

Branden

with regard to the day boat providers could they provide a rubbish bag with each hire. On return to base the bag could be placed in the rubbish bin and a new one provided for the next hire.

It would be so simple to point this out to the hirer when they take the boat out and would hopefully prevent rubbish being dumped on the banks or in the water.

I accept that it means a little extra work and expense but it is all for the good of the environment and would hopefully prevent the river banks looking like a fly-tip sight

Jeff

• Like 4

Certainly not blaming any hire yards at all... they could do and say everything  to discourage littering but at the day it is the conscious decision by the hirer to bin it or chuck it..  Education is the way .. until then perhaps name and shame them , it's worked for shoplifting...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Im sorry to do this but it needs saying......

NOBODY IN THIS THREAD IS BLAMING ANY HIRE YARD BARNES BRINKCRAFT OR OTHERWISE FOR FLYTIPPING!

ALL that has been suggested is it might be worth POLITELY letting them know about it.  They then might or might not want to discuss it with their customer that would be entirely up to them.

It is not their fault and unless I am on another frequency nobody is laying anything at their door!!!!!!!

fgs (for goodness sake) !!

DKNS34. How do you politely let the hirer know that he is being accused of flytipping? Flytipping is a serious matter. Can carry a heavy fine. What if the person who informed the boat yard got it wrong. Wrong boat. How does the boatyard deal with this matter in a crowded reception with a very angry customer who has been wrongfully accused. Think about the consequences of such an action for the boatyard.

If you are going to deal with this issue properly, if indeed it is a serious problem throughout the Broads, then it must be approached and dealt with in a professional and disciplined manner. By an appropriate authority.

Andrew.

• Like 2

Andrew you dont politely let the hirer know, you telephone the hire boat company and politely tell whoever answers the phone. 

I presume every hire yard will keep records and know who has hired their boats and when. As Berney has a name and the boat the waste has been deposited from I think there is enough evidence to warrant telephoning the boatyard and letting them know what has been found. 

You are giving the Boatyard the option of speaking to their customer about it.  They may choose to say nothing but thats then up to them.  If they did decide to speak to the person it might make the person think twice about doing something similar in the future?  The hireboat operator armed with this information may not want to hire a boat to this person again, they could be having other issues with the customer who is prone to flytipping but if nobody tells them they will never know about it.

You still contact the local Authority so its still being reported to the appropriate people to be dealt with accordingly, nobody on this thread has suggested that shouldnt happen. 

If you approach it in the right way the hireboat operator can only appreciate you letting them know.

The same can be said for any other antisocial behaviour you see going on, its in the hire boatyards interests to let them know about it. 

• Like 3

"They said they hadn't done it" was the reply I got from a hire yard following up the report of an incident. This wasn't the dropping of waste. This was the reaction following the ramming of my wooden boat by forty foot of plastic at high speed doing considerable damage.

The dumping of waste and refuse on the Broads is something I take very seriously and something that is the responsibility of ALL users of the Broads. We already realise it is a minefield of legislative incompetence, a result of misguided fiscal policies from the assorted Muppetry at Westminster. But trying to apportion blame to hirers, owners and local businesses is not going to solve this problem.

When the problem of refuse collection first reared its head we needed strong leadership. What did we get? A day long office based 'polytechnic management exercise'. and promises of, well...nothing 'we will look at this next year' I think was the gist. For all it's pretensions to becoming a National Park through marketing the mounds of rubbish accumulating at points throughout The Broads show that the Authority in charge of the landscape doesn't have a clue how to manage the day to day organisation of it. 

Visitors to the Broads come in all forms for a myriad of activities. They all generate refuse. Those visitors are the lifeblood of The Broads. The BA has it's AUTHORITY GRANT calculated on their number. Businesses generate their income from them. As do the other councils and authorities through various charges leading through business rates to car parking fees.

Incidentally while I was out at 6:30 am picking up litter, which was taken to the tip, the other day at a location on the Broads it was a private boat owner that dumped their garbage in the spot I had just cleared...right at my feet. 

A suggestion for future Broads Railway signage. Instead of a pack of untruths try giving, oh I don't know, maybe...instruction on how and where to dispose of your rubbish! Better still utilise the large sums wasted on this garbage to dispose of the rest?

• Like 10