Discarded Rubbish

Berneyarms

Fly tipping is an offence, do what it takes to prosecute. 

The sooner the better, with maximum publicity.

There is a long season ahead of us.

Contact the BA first, and or the local council, then as a courtesy tell the hire company that there may be action to be taken against the hirers.  Make them sweat...

This is not acceptable. 

Harsh...? maybe, but how can you stop it happening again?

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Berneyarms said:

What is the best policy for holiday boaters leaving bags of rubbish on the banks...went through some bags this morning and found who it was, which craft and hire company...

That is terrible for you to have to go through some numbskulls rubbish.      What do they think is going to happen to the rubbish do they think the rubbish fairy is going to come along and remove it .     I do feel for you.   

• Like 3

Not harsh at all. If you're going to commit an offence then face the consequences, there's no excuse, if you can't find a bin then hang onto your rubbish until you do

Not only a hazard to wild life but why the hell should you have to deal with it, makes my blood boil it really does

Grace

• Like 11

additionaly I would be thinking about signage, along the lines of 'please do not leave rubbish, as we have no road connection we do not have rubbish collections, fly tipping will be prosecuted', or some similar, but friendly warning.

• Like 3

As you  have found out who was responsible I have a suggestion.

It may cost a few bob to do it but no doubt it would give great satisfaction.

Find someone who is willing to take the rubbish away for you and dump it in the front garden of those responsible !!!!

I'm sure they would be grateful for the return of their "lost property"

Jeff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Definately report them to the BA.

Id also be tempted to ring the Boatyard and politely let them know what one of their customers have done, they may have a word if they are still to bring the boat back you never know. 

I fail to see what it has to do with the boat yard. Rubbish is the responsibility of the person who hired the boat.

• Like 3

Just now, dnks34 said:

Wussername if you witnessed anti social behaviour from a hireboat would you report it to the yard? 

Is fly tipping not anti social behaviour? 

No. I would report it to the appropriate authority.

Yes fly tipping is an anti social behaviour and has to be treated as such by those who have the necessary means to deal with the offender.

• Like 2

I thought rubbish from hire boats was classed as commercial waste and therefore is the responsibility of the hire yards. I also thought there was some sort of arrangement between the yards that allowed hire boats to use the rubbish disposal facilities at yards they visited as well as being able to dispose of rubbish at the return of the boat.

Surely, if this is the case, there is really no need for a hire boat to be disgarding rubbish on riverbanks because their waste needs are far better met than the private boat owners on the network.

• Like 1

Just now, JanetAnne said:

I thought rubbish from hire boats was classed as commercial waste and therefore is the responsibility of the hire yards. I also thought there was some sort of arrangement between the yards that allowed hire boats to use the rubbish disposal facilities at yards they visited as well as being able to dispose of rubbish at the return of the boat.

Surely, if this is the case, there is really no need for a hire boat to be disgarding rubbish on riverbanks because their waste needs are far better met than the private boat owners on the network.

And thereby lies the problem of waste. It is not commercial waste. It is not domestic waste. It is boat waste, and must be identified as such. The law, the regulations, call it what you will, should and must be changed to recognise this unique fact. The issues, problems, both financial and logistically must be identified and resolved with regard to the private sector and the commercial sector for the benefit of both parties and the public in general.

Regarding flytipping, I stand by my previous comments that an individual should be held responsible for his or her actions regarding this matter.

Andrew

• Like 7

Andrew, I see nothing wrong with informing the yard, after all they hired the boat. The yards have two obvious options open to them, one being to advise THEIR customers of the problems of fly-tipping on the Broads and two, to lobby their local authorities and central government.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Andrew, I see nothing wrong with informing the yard, after all they hired the boat. The yards have two obvious options open to them, one being to advise THEIR customers of the problems of fly-tipping on the Broads and two, to lobby their local authorities and central government.

I agree Peter. Inform the yard by all means. May I suggest that the regular visitor to the Broads, also the majority of visitors to the Broads do not flytip. Those that do, the minority, who have no moral responsibility whatsoever, on being advised of the error of their ways, on their return to the boat yard journey on their way home without a care in the world.

I would agree that to lobby local authorities of the issues would be a positive step forward but I suspect that both parties are aware of the problems but lack the will or consider the matter of any significant importance.

Andrew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

I fail to see what it has to do with the boat yard. Rubbish is the responsibility of the person who hired the boat.

10 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I agree Peter. Inform the yard by all means. 

What changed your mind?! 

This issue was on BBC Countryfile last night. Flytipping is a criminal offence so report it to the police. Unfortunately it is also the responsibility of the landowner to clear it up and make that report. Be careful how you dispose of it or you could be guilty of illegal waste disposal! Ridiculous and unfair I know!:38_worried:

The only thing the BA can do is record it as ammunition when discussing waste and disposal with other Authorities. I would also let the hire yard know and ask them to collect it but I doubt they will.:Sailing

6 hours ago, dnks34 said:

What changed your mind?! 

I haven't. Tell the boat yard if you want. But it will do no good whatsoever. They would be concerned sure, the vast majority of people would be. To resolve the problem of flytipping you have to act quickly and positively with the objective of achieving a result, that of a large fine, and make it known immediately the result of the action in order to set an example.  Boat yards do not have the resources to do this.

Andrew

• Like 1

I would certainly inform The BA, but why not inform the hire yard as well. They probably have a contact number for the hirer and could ring them and remind them of their responsibilities. It might just stop them from dumping rubbish at another mooring. Whilst rubbish is the responsibility of the hirer, the local authorities have not helped by making it harder to dispose of rubbish responsibly. Renting a boat for £1500 or £2000 for a week and then having to cart your rubbish all round the place is hardly conducive to a pleasant nice relaxing holiday. If even a few are put of from returning, then it IS a concern for the hire yards.

• Like 7

I agree inform the hire yard but please don't forget and from my experience the engineers on trial runs will go through everything with you and answer any questions you might have, once the boat has left the yard it is up to the hirer to take responsibility for the boat and their actions. Apart from us regulars the yard don't really know the kind of people who are taking their boats out.

Slightly off topic but only the other day we were out in the car and a very posh Mercedes in front unashamedly rolled down their window and threw a Mcdonald's bag out, unbelievable, its not a class thing or  boat owner or hirer, it's plain bad manners and a don't give a damn attitude, simple as that, that's something that's never going to change, no matter who we inform or how many bins are provided

Grace

• Like 5

I really don't think we should lean on the boatyards over this. Knowing them personally as I do, you can be sure that they have been lobbying the BA and local councils about this problem for donkeys' years. It does indeed have a deleterious effect on their business.

But just a minute - if you saw a hired car go over a red traffic light, would you phone Hertz to complain about it? Of course not. You would take the vehicle number and report it to the police. It is the police who then contact Hertz, who are obliged to give details of their driver to them, and only to them.

The boatyard's responsibility does not stretch to normal public order offences, and nor should it. We are all responsible for our own civil behaviour in public and fly tipping doesn't just come from hire boats. It could have been me, in my camper van!  :twisted:

• Like 4