Discarded Rubbish

Berneyarms

just be careful, I was threatened and nearly beaten up once when I asked a car driver (who was parked across 3 of the 5 parking bays at my doctors), to pick up the drinks can he had just discarded out of his window, I had my car door slammed onto my leg as I got back in it to get away from him, all of this happening in front of about 50 witnesses.

(he did pick up the can as he stormed off)

• Like 1

All too common an occurance grendel. Some people go into overdrive if anyone tries to tell them what to do. Just last night I reported a group of kids who started knocking down a neighbours garden wall when they were out. I had one come running up behind me with a brick in hand. I turned around and said are you f****** serious and the response I got was "What". Couldn't of been any older then 13-14. Reported to the police straight away.

Branden

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

But just a minute - if you saw a hired car go over a red traffic light, would you phone Hertz to complain about it? Of course not. 

Actually I have! There was one incident a few years ago where a Hertz rental van cut me up horrendously on the A1079 on the outskirts of York.  I pulled over and got straight on the phone to them and let them know what an idiot they had hired their van to! 

I wouldnt say I would lean on the boatyard about the rubbish as your absolutely right it isnt their responsibility but I dont think it would hurt to politely let them know about it, if they did decide to say something to their customer it could make that person think twice in the future.

Rubbish bins or not this person may have still used the bank anyway but we can still live in hope. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grendel said:

just be careful, I was threatened and nearly beaten up once when I asked a car driver (who was parked across 3 of the 5 parking bays at my doctors), to pick up the drinks can he had just discarded out of his window, I had my car door slammed onto my leg as I got back in it to get away from him, all of this happening in front of about 50 witnesses.

(he did pick up the can as he stormed off)

If my wife (a fearsome woman) sees anybody drop litter she picks it up and hands it back to them with a smile and a cheery "Oops, be careful, you nearly lost this, good job I was here to give it back to you".

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, bigbream said:

Cant see how the hire company has anything to do with this at all yes they hired the boat out but that is all, we all see mcdonalds , kfc bags lying in the road but how many of you phone them up and tell them someone been flytipping their rubbish

How many KFC or McDonald's keep a record of their customers and their vehicles. It's completely different.

No one's saying it's the hire yards rubbish being dumped it's the hirers. The idea behind telling the yard is that they would have the details of the people who dumped the rubbish and would therefore be able to mention that a member of the public had reported them when they hand the keys back.

If someone borrowed your car for a holiday drive and started using it to fly tip I'm sure you'd want to know.

Branden

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, bigbream said:

Cant see how the hire company has anything to do with this at all yes they hired the boat out but that is all, we all see mcdonalds , kfc bags lying in the road but how many of you phone them up and tell them someone been flytipping their rubbish

Well, my local Lowestoft McD goes to a great deal of trouble in clearing up waste left by their customers, to my way of thinking a very responsible attitude. 

As for the yards I see no harm in reminding them that their customers do sometimes leave litter. I also think that the yards have a responsibility to help, after all people hire a boat in order to enjoy the environment that is the Broads. There was a time when the industry worked together to improve the Broads for all, after all the industry also benefited. However good a boat is if people don't like the destination experience then they probably won't return.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, brandenjg said:

How many KFC or McDonald's keep a record of their customers and their vehicles. It's completely different.

I have often thought that with scanners and bar codes and printers, that drive throughs could have uniquely identified packaging which can be stored against the vehicle registration number. 

When fly tipped rubbish is found, the Police can use their time to bring prosecutions  using dna on the packaging. 

The money from the fines would provide self funding for scores of Police officers to chase these criminals. Yes from a law point of view, they are criminals. 

The advantage to the Police is, most of the drive through tipping will result in a prosecution, quickly raising the crime sucess ratings as a percentage of all crimes.

lol

• Like 1

Nowadays there are only about 750 hire boats on the Broads compared to 3000 private boats - so they say. And yet about the only places left with waste disposal facilities are the hire boatyards! And they are doing this at "trade waste" rates. What more do we want of them? That they should go around in vans checking up on their customers' good behaviour? And please don't think they are going to start criticising them in reception at the end of the week, when their job is to leave the customer with a good impression of their service, so that he will come back next year. That's how they try to stay in business!

What is really needed is for the local councils (for this is not the BA's job) to understand that if they want to promote tourism and its revenue on the Broads then they must provide adequate bins and blasted well empty them.

• Like 12

The big question here is..................... If the bins were all still in place, would there still be rubbish being left around?

Sadly yes as there will always be morons that will fly tip, why because they are to lazy to put it in a bin. That said the return of the bins would be a good start as a reason for morons not to fly tip, and also make peoples time afloat more enjoyable.

I must say that if plastic bottles are squashed tins flattened after rinsing out,  and only cook enough for the meal in question will make a black bag last longer, without the need to bin it.

Charlie

• Like 4

The answer to your question Charlie, Is yes, rubbish will still be dumped, I have seen someone walk past a bin and still throw their coke can on the ground. It makes absolutely no difference as to how many bins are provided, some people just don't care. A bit like Mrs Bobdog, im indoors is someone not to be reckoned with, he challenged someone once and was told to have sex and travel, the rubbish dumper came off worse lol, but you have to be careful when confronting some people, they may turn out to be an axe murderer from hell and become a very nasty situation, nothing will ever make any difference to people with this mentality

Grace

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Nowadays there are only about 750 hire boats on the Broads compared to 3000 private boats - so they say. And yet about the only places left with waste disposal facilities are the hire boatyards! And they are doing this at "trade waste" rates. What more do we want of them? That they should go around in vans checking up on their customers' good behaviour? And please don't think they are going to start criticising them in reception at the end of the week, when their job is to leave the customer with a good impression of their service, so that he will come back next year. That's how they try to stay in business!

What is really needed is for the local councils (for this is not the BA's job) to understand that if they want to promote tourism and its revenue on the Broads then they must provide adequate bins and blasted well empty them.

Well said Vaughan the bins around the Broads should never have been removed, it was a backward step no matter what the cost, in this case we have seen that the cost of providing the service that the Broads previously had was piecemeal compared to the cost of fly tipping removal.

The Broads is place of beauty lets keep it that way provide the correct services.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 8

Vaughan, you quite rightly quote boat numbers but don't forget the day boats. Probably not a consideration at Berney Arms but I hear in conversation with landowners that day boat hirers leave everything from faeces to soiled underwear to tampons to KFC containers under bushes in popular mooring spots. There is no provision for such things on a dayboat so I do have some sympathy with the hirers but really there is no excuse for such desecration of our environment.  Dayboats have how many clients a day? It's not to say that private boats don't contribute, I am darned certain that they do but most privateers are geared up to cope with their waste and know where they can dispose of it. The point that I am trying to put over is that the yards, if they don't already do so, need to bang the anti litter drum both loud and clear.

When I managed the Waveney River Centre we had at least one large skip a week as a service to our customers, who in turn were customers of the yards. Wasn't really our responsibility but it was a service and, most importantly, it helped protect the environment from which myself and fellow shareholders earned our livings. We didn't pass the buck, whilst we sold petrol & diesel etc. but we gave away water and disposed of other folk's rubbish. Personally I'm rather proud that we did that, and we were 'Pub of the Year' for every year that I was manager.:angel:

• Like 9

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, kfurbank said:

Renting a boat for £1500 or £2000 for a week and then having to cart your rubbish all round the place is hardly conducive to a pleasant nice relaxing holiday. If even a few are put of from returning, then it IS a concern for the hire yards.

Not posted for a while (new job means I actually have to do some work these days!!!)...

I don't agree with this.  Exactly what hardship is it to bring a couple of black sacks with you on your boating holiday, and use it to collate your waste?  Unless you plan on wild mooring every night and don't visit a yard (or moorings with waste facilities) then there is no need to have waste on the boat for any more than a couple of days at a time.  We do this and I can assure you it in no way impacted our enjoyment, aside perhaps from having to walk round the black sack to get in and out the boat, and having to move it each time I swept/mopped the floor.....  Not even enough time for the waste (if you like wasting your food that is!) to start to smell.....

Everyone needs to take responsibility.

Informing the yard may not be a bad shout in this instance actually, as they will no doubt be contacted by the authorities requesting details of the hirer; that's just a courtesy to the yard from the good member who took the trouble to investigate the fly tipping in the first place.....

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I hear in conversation with landowners that day boat hirers leave everything from faeces to soiled underwear to tampons to KFC containers under bushes in popular mooring spots.

Folk that do this are barely human, and have no interest in the repercussions.  They simply don't care or don't possess the intelligence to understand the effects left by their actions.

• Like 2

Local authorities charge exorbitant sums for waste disposal and then are so surprised to find themselves having to pay out for the clearing of fly tipping sites. I've always thought it wrong to have to pay to dispose of domestic waste.  It's greedy of councils to impose these charges and pure opportunism. I've alwaysthought that if they provided it as a service flytipping incidents would be drastically reduced. Of course there will always be the individuals who can't be bothered to go to the depot so it will never be completely eradicated.

Carole

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, addicted said:

Local authorities charge exorbitant sums for waste disposal and then are so surprised to find themselves having to pay out for the clearing of fly tipping sites. 

Carole

Exorbitant charges, yes, and if the attitude at the depot is anything like my local one then I can quite understand why people don't go there. Re those charges, must be a local authority thing, just so much gets charged against anything that can yield an income from the public. I have a good friend who worked all his life as a civil servant. He always maintained that the public would be horrified if they actually knew what they were paying for. 

• Like 5