Discarded Rubbish

Berneyarms

"boat hirers leave everything from faeces to soiled underwear to tampons to KFC containers under bushes in popular mooring spots. There is no provision for such things on a dayboat so I do have some sympathy with the hirers but really there is no excuse for such desecration"

I'm afraid I have no sympathy for people who dump rubbish, especially the items you have mentioned. I'm sure most hirers could find a bag of some sort to keep their rubbish in until they could dispose of it properly. I have travelled the outback of Australia quite extensively in a campervan, no disposal facilities for miles and miles and miles! Did we ever dump our garbage randomly? Not on your life! It does remind me though of one trip we did, travelling between Adelaide and Sydney. There is a vast stretch of nothingness before you reach Broken Hill. We seemed to be driving for hours without seeing any sign of life whatsoever. Until we got near Broken Hill. Suddenly a very large sign appeared - McDonald's 10 km. :blush:

Lets face it if they could get away with charging for daylight they would.  

I am never ever suprised by the next cut to services or cost increase imposed on us by our local authorities.

But you can bet your life those at the top will be taking their pay increases year on year on their already obscene salaries and they wont be loosing a wink of sleep about it either.  

Its just pure greed and I for one am totally sick of it.

• Like 7

Of course you're sick of it as are we all. Town hall no marks being paid obscene salaries to make a bad fist of just about everything they do. I'm sick of having to reorganise my schedule in order to get the bins emptied because to miss  1collection is to to wait 2 weeks for another. Meaning  4 weeks old waste in the bins. No thanks! Why do we have to pay so dearly for services that are so much cheaper in other countries? A more appropriate name for this country would be gravy train! Rant over!

Carole

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Berneyarms said:

All comments taken onboard and yes we need more bins but that isn't an excuse to dump....so have informed boatyard for future bookings and in the meantime would Mr D Stratton on brinks quartet 3 kindly use the next bins available 

I trust Clive is looking in (and reading! )

Waveney District Council say they can prosecute you if you put garden cuttings in your black bin.  

It all goes to landfillI!!!!

I cant see how grass cuttings are any worse than all the food waste and other crud they put in the ground but maybe they know something I dont. 

Or could it be because they are now charging to have your green wheelie bin emptied I wonder?

Anyway, guess where my grass cuttings go, disguised in a black bag! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Waveney District Council say they can prosecute you if you put garden cuttings in your black bin.  

I cant see how grass cuttings are any worse than all the food waste and other crud they put in the ground but maybe they know something I dont. 

Or could it be because they are now charging to have your green wheelie bin emptied I wonder?

WDC, grrrrrrr, they don't want you to put grass cuttings in your black bin when you could pay £45.00 extra for a green bin. Totally daft as I can still bag it & take it to the recycling centre and no one bats an eyelid!

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

WDC, grrrrrrr, they don't want you to put grass cuttings in your black bin when you could pay £45.00 extra for a green bin. Totally daft as I can still bag it & take it to the recycling centre and no one bats an eyelid!

If your referring to the Pakefield recycling site people have been known to die of old age just queuing to get in there! 

Just now, dnks34 said:

If your referring to the Pakefield recycling site people have been known to die of old age just queuing to get in there! 

I might not have enough time then! 

I can cope with the wait, it's the general attitude. I put some clean plant pots in the 'plastic' chute, arghhhhhh, you can't put them in there. Errrr, why not? They aren't plastic! Yes, they are. No they aren't, they are the wrong sort of plastic, are you ignorant or something? Give me strength, per--lease! 

• Like 1

they dont want your garden rubbish to go to landfill it costs them money

local to griff the dustbin lorries of garden rubbish  are tipped in an old quarry left to rot down then granulated, then sold on,next time you fall over the pile of bags of compost at your local supermarket this is your garden rubbish recycled, ergo the council makes money

the recycler in question is a customer so i see it first hand

• Like 1

I always thought rigid plastic could be recycled but then I saw on the news a few weeks ago that theres quite a lot of plastic that cant be recycled.

For instance we buy those small pump bottles of handsoap and it said on the news that neither the pump nor the bottle parts of those can be recycled and I have been rinsing those out and putting them in my blue bin for years!

Apparently its the metal in the pump part that causes an issue but it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

If ive only got a few things to get rid of at Pakefield if theres a long queue I always park ahead of the entrance and walk up the way out to get it, if you stick to the marked path they dont mind. 

37 minutes ago, Berneyarms said:

That's a pity... I can't name them but they can litter up the broads...

Please excuse me, but I had not "caught on" to who the OP of this thread actually was! I had imagined a public mooring somewhere. . . .

Who on Earth can expect public refuse bins to be provided at the Berney Arms? Where is this going to be disposed of? Out at sea?

The remarks that I have made on this thread are still thoroughly valid but in law, surely this amounts to a trespass, if nothing else? I still say that this cannot be laid at the boatyard's door but if you have clear evidence of "provenance" then you should involve the police.

Meantime I am very sorry that you have been subjected to this offence at the start of your first season in business at the Berney Arms. I very much hope that future customers will give you a much better impression. I shall be calling in to see you at some time at the end of   May, when I shall enjoy the welcome that you have to offer to us all, and I shall take my rubbish away with me!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

Does it though?

We have the option here in Dartford to pay an additional fee for a brown wheelie bin for garden waste.  We chose not to, preferring to take any garden waste that I can't convert to compost to the local recycling centre where it is turned into compost on an industrial scale.

Since recycling bins were introduced, as a family (2 adults, two pains in the ar$e - one male, one female) we have never filled our normal waste bin each week.

If the will is there to care about your surroundings....

I suspect for some, being on holiday is a chance to 'get away with it'.

Also, it must be said that in no way do I think anything less of Barnes Brinkcraft because of this, they did not ask for their hirers to be oiks...... :)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I always thought rigid plastic could be recycled but then I saw on the news a few weeks ago that theres quite a lot of plastic that cant be recycled.

For instance we buy those small pump bottles of handsoap and it said on the news that neither the pump nor the bottle parts of those can be recycled and I have been rinsing those out and putting them in my blue bin for years!

Apparently its the metal in the pump part that causes an issue but it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

If ive only got a few things to get rid of at Pakefield if theres a long queue I always park ahead of the entrance and walk up the way out to get it, if you stick to the marked path they dont mind. 

Silly, isn't it.  That in the 21st century we are still producing far too many products in packaging that cannot be recycled.  Beggars belief really. And quite frankly the size of the packaging compared to the actual product is overly large to accommodate supermarket shelves/hangers.

Edited by SGWilko
It didn't make good English, init tho?
  • Like 1