Where To Eat In Oulton Area

Wildfuzz

Waveney, Commodore, Wherry, Broadland Holiday Village or for absolute gourmets try Ivy Farm. The Morrison's with a canteen is several miles from Oulton Broad. Knowing that Sundays tend to be well populated I would phone and book and I would tend to favour Ivy Farm.

4 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Big thumbs up from me for The Wherry carvery and also The Commodores food , though I feel the older generation would prefer the Wherry 

Sorry have to disagree this older generation person loathes the Werry. The Commodore is OK if you aren't very hungry and are happy with small portions I believe it's "stingy" masquerading as nouvelle cuisine, having been served the smallest Sea Bass I've ever seen at a far from good value price.

Carole

• Like 1

Just now, addicted said:

Sorry have to disagree this older generation person loathes the Werry. The Commodore is OK if you aren't very hungry and are happy with small portions I believe it's "stingy" masquerading as nouvelle cuisine, having been served the smallest Sea Bass I've ever seen at a far from good value price.

Carole

Katie had a pizza at the Commodore which was  just under a tenner and certainly filled her up.

we tried The Wherry on a Sunday evening where we both ate the carvery meal which was about £12 good sized portion of meet and yes if so wished you could pile the Yorkshire , cauli cheese and veg as high as you wished .

we are both mid 50's and didn't feel out of place at either venue but the Wherry felt more "old school"

Just now, CambridgeCabby said:

Katie had a pizza at the Commodore which was  just under a tenner and certainly filled her up.

we tried The Wherry on a Sunday evening where we both ate the carvery meal which was about £12 good sized portion of meet and yes if so wished you could pile the Yorkshire , cauli cheese and veg as high as you wished .

we are both mid 50's and didn't feel out of place at either venue but the Wherry felt more "old school"

One man's meat I suppose,

Carole

I would say Commodore for young folk who don't want to pile on the pounds. Good food, hughley popular with the locals.

The Wherry for older folk who do, excellent carvery. Does tend to be packed on a Sunday.

The Lady of The Lake, cattle class . . . . . . . 

The Smoke House, just looks unappetising, yet to try it.

The Waveney, on Sundays you need to keep your elbows in, good food but no view of the Broad. 

The Red Herring, trendy, the place to be seen. 

The Broadland Holiday Village, great, if you can find somewhere to sit. Justly popular.

Ivy Farm, superb, lovely place to wander around and enjoy the view. 

27 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Never had a bad meal at the Wherry, carvery or breakfast that is superb value for the money.

Charlie

We had a meal served to us at the Werry that was so awful, the waitress professed embarrassment and wouldn't charge us for it. Also some people who were moored next to us went off in great anticipation of a Sunday morning fry up and returned bitterly disappointed, saying it was probably the worst breakfast they had ever been served

CarolE

Just now, addicted said:

saying it was probably the worst breakfast they had ever been served

CarolE

Not sure about that CarolE as they dont serve breakfast its serve your self. Fresh Fruit salad a selection of cereals cosonts jam marmalade and of course the full English

Charlie

Just now, Bound2Please said:

Not sure about that CarolE as they dont serve breakfast its serve your self. Fresh Fruit salad a selection of cereals cosonts jam marmalade and of course the full English

Charlie

Wouldn't know Charlie, Tony says the breakfast I cook is better than anyone else's so we've never been there for breakfast can only repeat what the people next to  us said. They had guests on board and were embarrassed by the poor quality of the food that was presented to them maybe we were all just unlucky. Quite often the quality -  or not, of food in restaurants depends on which chef is on duty.

CarolE

Most strange but your right about chefs..... We go 30 odd miles out of our way to have breakfast when ever were on the way to the boat. Never seen a bad breakfast. Fried eggs if left to long can go iffy but all you need to ask and they cook fresh for you.

Repeating hearsay can kill a business

Charlie

• Like 1

Guess we'll just have to agree to differ on this issue Charlie. There was nothing about the place that appealed to me other than it's position. My favourite venue at Oulton was the Red Herring, unfortunately it stopped serving food for some reason. It had resumed when were there last year but under different ownership and not as good. I have to say that when we retired to East Anglia  from North London the thing we missed the most was decent restaurants. We were rather spoiled in London I suppose, but  is really hard to find anywhere that has the combination of good ambience, good food and acceptable non-pretentious pricing.

CarolE

CarolE its not the saying it wasnt good if you had had a bad experience of the breakfast no problem.

I know first hand how hearsay gossiping can ruin a business in no time, as people only listen to bad reports and ignore good ones. Even though they havnt experienced it. I could say the same about the or similar about other establishments ive been told about, my first question i ask the teller have you been in there, 90% of the time i hear is no but so n so told me. Did you not realise competitors start gossip hearsay rumors off to try n kill off their competition. Before you ask it wasnt a  pub i had to fight to keep going due to unfounded gossip.

Charlie

Having had such a ghastly meal ourselves the reported dodgy breakfast was entirely plausible. Obviously you had a previous experience which makes this thread more personal to you. We also had another, newly opened business bad  mouthing us but on being informed about it by loyal customers I paid the offending people a call and told them in no uncertain terms what the repercussions would if they continued. We had no more problems and they shortly after went out of business.

CarolE

I've heard of a place actually on the Broad itself, a well known member owns it with a garden that backs onto the Broad, rumour has it that his lovely wife does a mean Roast, the member in question is a sailie I believe but don't let that cloud your judgement and hold it against her :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry JM dont agree withyour assessment of The Lady of the Lake. We ate there last week and the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The chef is the person who was previously at The Waveney for a long time and their reputation for good food was and is well known. Equally I dont think that people who use  The Lady of the Lake should be termed "cattle class.!

Incidentally the place is spotlessly clean and serves good beer and Im sure that Tony the landlord would not be happy to hear your description of his pub

Boycee

:39_angry: