First Visit In 36 Years

LesG5

My wife Jane and I will be picking up Star Gem 3 from Richardsons of Stalham in late August.  I've been on a boats on the broads twice before, last time was 1981! And it will be Jane's first time.  I've booked a restaurant at Horning on our second evening to celebrate our 30th Anniversary but am concerned about guaranteeing  an overnight mooring.  If I can't get on to a public mooring which boat yards will allow me in?  Or is there another strategy?  I am prepared to snag a spot as early as 2pm if necessary.  Cheers:default_cool: 

• Like 2

You will probably be OK in Ferry Marina ,we managed to get a space anytime of the day or evening ,we had family staying in one of their property's so had to go back and to to pick them up and drop them back off, I think you can phone up and reserve a mooring at one of the pubs there,not sure if its the Ferry or the New Inn, sure someone will be along to clarify soon

Hi and a warm welcome. You don't say which restaurant - as far as I know you can book a meal and a mooring at the New Inn. It will be busy in August and Horning is very popular so it's worth planning ahead. Have a great time and do please let us know how you get on! 

Hello les & Jane welcome to the forum.

Where have you booked? as other forum members have said there are some hire yards you may be able to moor at and the pubs mentioned. The green at Horning (the 24 hour moorings) tends to be very busy so if you need to be near there it is best to get there very early.

Regards

Alan

4 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Les ideally you need to get mooring on the Horning Green.

Regards

Alan

In an ideal world yes but I can't ever remember seeing a space there during the summer, no matter what time of day. I agree with those suggesting Ferry Marina. Alternatively I'm wondering if the New Inn would allow you to book one of their moorings if you were having a drink there (I've never tried it though). 

Hi, as far as I know the deal at the New Inn is that you need to book a meal to moor there. This would apply in the evening particularly although Gus would probably let you moor for a drink during the day if there was room but it will be busy in August. I agree mooring at the Parish Staithe could be a bit difficult given the time of year. Perhaps a plan B might be to moor at a slightly less popular spot and get a taxi??? 

• Like 3

Welcome Les!

I had only been on the Broads once back in the 90s until hubby and I made our return five years ago ... now we can't get up there enough. Be prepared to be equally hooked ... but also be prepared for it to be busy. Last September we were surprised just how busy it still was so preferred to leave our moorings early, probably between 8 and 8.30am, cruise for the morning while many boats are still moored up, then get our mooring by early afternoon possibly for the rest of the day.

It's whatever works for you. :14_relaxed:

• 5 weeks later...

Well it worked!  Using a bit of cheek I managed to get Siesta 2 to budge up so that I could get on the Horning Green mooring - just a hop to the restaurant!  Had a brilliant evening and we got a bit drunk with Siesta 2's crew Bob, Selina and dog. Fantastic holiday but it's a long drive from Newcastle.   Thanks for all the helpful comments.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LesG5 said:

Would like to try an out of season trip - to see if we can get moored at Ranworth!  My wife also fancies trying a narrowboat holiday. 

Cheers

Les & Jane White

Hello Les,

The Broads out of season is like coming to a different waterway, less busy and you usually see more wildlife.

With regards to wife fancying a narrow boat holiday, she can not be knocked for that, we go as a crew of six (three couples, the youngest being 60).

If you have not been before I suggest that you check out the Trent & Mersey canal (apart from the first 4 locks) it is a canal having 7 foot wide locks. Also check out the Llangollen Canal (again 7 foot locks). 

Regards

Alan