Breydon Rescue

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

I see from Faceache that the inshore lifeboat has been busy again. This time a boat stranded on Breydon at high tide. From the pictures it was right up against the bank. It has now been recovered by Everitt Marine Services with the help of the lifeboat. It was a mechanical breakdown.

The boat is so far out of the channel that you will need to zoom in on the picture to find the boat.

20882334_10155092172925345_3327948585478803129_n.jpg

Having crossed Breydon many times on hire boats and now my own boat my advice is that if the engine fails for whatever reason get the mudweight  or anchor over the side IMMEDIAELY. Whilst Breydon is not as bad as some people make out it is to be respected. Breydon takes no prisoners!

Just regard it as a flooded field with a channel going through it. Stray from the channel and you are in deep doo doo. Once you are anchored you may be able to sort out the problem, if not you can easily be rescued even by a little squirt of a boat such as mine if the tide is right.

• Like 10

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Good advice. I don't know if they did deploy the mud weight, but they certainly were the furthest out of the channel I think I have ever seen anyone. I know a boat can drag a mud weight in strong winds, and Breydon can get very windy, but that is still a long way to get blown. I believe it took two boats to get them off as they were aground at high tide they were that far out.

Would be interesting to know which came first? Engine failure and a drift onto the mud, or a grounding followed by engine failure due to sitting on the mud and over heating etc.

Hi Kingfishers Time.

Basically it is not rocket science to  keep between the posts in good daylight but if things go pear shaped hirers and indeed owners need to deploy the anchors or mudweights as soon as possible. If the mudweight does not do the job and seeing the length of some of the mudweight warps on some hire craft it could cause a problem. However, if it has been deployed then the skipper has done the best to secure the boat. An anchor warp or a mudweight warp should be at least three times the expected depth of where it is expected to be used.

Personally I prefer a proper anchor with two metres of chain on it before the anchor warp is attached. Also my anchor is bigger than the boat requires, if it is chucked over the side nothing moves, especially as it has 100 ft of warp. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

Hi Kingfishers Time.

Basically it is not rocket science to  keep between the posts in good daylight but if things go pear shaped hirers and indeed owners need to deploy the anchors or mudweights as soon as possible. If the mudweight does not do the job and seeing the length of some of the mudweight warps on some hire craft it could cause a problem. However, if it has been deployed then the skipper has done the best to secure the boat. An anchor warp or a mudweight warp should be at least three times the expected depth of where it is expected to be used.

Personally I prefer a proper anchor with two metres of chain on it before the anchor warp is attached. Also my anchor is bigger than the boat requires, if it is chucked over the side nothing moves, especially as it has 100 ft of warp. 

I totally agree good ground tackle is every bit as important as a lifejacket in terms of safety equipment. At sea and single handed as I regularly did in my youth then given the choice of setting off without a lifejacket or an anchor I would take the anchor every time. It stops you drifting into more trouble and when hit with a North Sea Haar, you can stop in water so shallow nothing big is going to cut you in two, in other words the likelyhood of needing a jacket is very much reduced. 

I don't know when it went ashore but it's been very windy today which can't have helped. If it was choppy then a poorly maintained engine and fuel system can create problems. May or may not have been the problem but if any crud in the fuel tank is stirred up by the boat being tossed about a bit then a breakdown can easily develop.

• Like 3

Its easy to make a mistake on breydon iv been on the mud before today , mud weights are OK but they can drag , of you bump in to a post a line on that quickly is by far the best way , that said that boat is way off line .

When it is windy and you have time my mud weight method is a grapnel (folding for ease of stowage) on 2 metres of chain shackled to the Mud weight eye. I have sat on Malthouse, Black Horse and Barton for the night in quite brisk conditions like this.

However there is a big downside especially on a small boat like mine. The mess when hauled up is awful and is often not just confined to the deck! That smelly mud goes everywhere.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Are you sure it's not t'other way round? Woodie looks to be under power by the wake?

Proper boats don't leave any wash :default_beerchug:

We came across this poor family broken down in mid river just off Oulton Broad.  Luckily Barnes did not want it towed to the Yacht Station but down to the Dutch Tea Garden moorings because we really struggled with the wind to keep it in a straight line.

What is it with the southern rivers Barnes Brinkcraft and us.:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Edited by brundallNavy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vanessan said:

If you tow another boat, do you lash to the left or right of your boat? 

Depends on the circumstances. If you are towing a yacht you want it on your left, so that the deep keel is in the deep water away from the bank. Otherwise I tow with the towed boat on the right, so that I have better vision and a bit more room to manoeuvre. You are going sideways all the time, so you need to keep your eyes right up the river and give yourself plenty of room on the bank side.

If wind and tide permit, always moor alongside with the towed boat on the bank side -  that way, every time you go astern or ahead, the tow will work its way in towards the bank.

• Like 1