Crime On The Broads?

Andrewcook

I would like to know if any hiring Cruisers or Private Cruisers  have Crimes committed in the Summer or Winter?  I watched on BBC One this Morning called Thief Trackers this one about Outboard Motors blimey as a Sailing Club had a few Stolen and cost them a fortune to replace as theses Outboards are used on Small Boats for Sail Racing Yachts Safety. In the Programme they put a Tracker in one off there Outboard Motor and the Thieves went off with it and where caught with there Outboard Motor plus with quite a few others may I say in White Van Blimey what Catch and the Thieves are doing time for this good. There's an Old saying I believe if you have not got the Time Don't do the Crime. 

Andrew Cook    

I shouldn't worry Andrew. Whilst crime does of course happen in these parts, generally I am sure you will not have an issue. Whilst it may make good television on a one off for the BBC, so did the other BBC comment today which showed that whilst crime figures in total continue to decline, the perception is, helped by the Daily Misinformation Express and Mail, that crime figures continue to spiral upwards!!

Nothing is guaranteed but I reckon you will be fine - this is not the mobsters capital of the world despite what you hear about out of control stag and hen parties!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had our mop knicked off 'B.A's aft coach house roof once, left us a proper scabby knackered on they did.  I went ballistic over that one.  Rolled my sleeves up and produced a 'One Off' teak item that is unique.  If another pond life takes this one, I will easily identify it, then once I have retrieved it I will need to disinfect the handle

Griff

BA NBN 120.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I trundle up and down the river doing rescue boat duties over the years I've picked up many a mop with handle  (and many other things) normally with no Identifying marks for ownership.  I'm betting some holidaymaker lost his mop and nicked yours...

The Sailing club I used to belong to In Milton Keynes, was raided by thieves who had seen the club from the M1, they hired a Luton van . Then came and broke in taking many laser /topper masts  and associated laser /topper  bits and pieces and also loaded some toppers and lasers into the van.

They then went up north west  somewhere to try to sell  the gear..  Needless to say some men turning up in a Luton van trying to sell all that kit, rang alarm bells with the dealers who phoned the police. Shortly after the men were arrested and the kit returned. I don't think the owners of the kit even lost a days sailing!!

Even though Norfolk and particularly North Norfolk  has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Crime does happen, mostly I think by outsiders. Every so often there is an outbreak of outboard theft which seems to start Martham way...

Don't you believe a word of it. 'Two barrels Timbo, 'Bruiser' Brundle and the mob leader 'Slasher' Wildfuzz run the broads with a rod of iron.

I'm so scared of them I'm even writing this under another members screen name.

Doh !

Admin, how do I write this under another users screen name?

• Haha 5

I'm betting some holidaymaker lost his mop and nicked yours...

Nope, it was a straight swap.  The pond life scumbags (Mustn't call them 'Oxygen thieves in case it upsets some sensitive soul)  took ours which was a standard painted softwood handle but with a virtually brand new mop head on it  and left us with a scabby item bruised and battered on the handle with hardly any strings left on the head.  I was raging at the time

Griff

• Like 1

Griff you have a right to your opinion on what you wish to call people just as I've a right to my opinion and I did as always state it was only my opinion , if that in anyway makes me sensitive then so be it , I'm presuming you out lined it at me since you used " soul " in a singular format . 

I'm presuming you out lined it at me since you used " soul " in a singular format . 

Ricardo  -  Not at all, it was not aimed at anyone in particular, however if you feel you are a sensitive soul then that is your call.  I'll leave you to your own opinions as you see fit.  Me - Bit more thick skinned, but that's just my opinion :default_icon_e_smile:

Oh and as per above - Agreed :default_rofl:

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I'm presuming you out lined it at me since you used " soul " in a singular format . 

Ricardo  -  Not at all, it was not aimed at anyone in particular, however if you feel you are a sensitive soul then that is your call.  I'll leave you to your own opinions as you see fit.  Me - Bit more thick skinned, but that's just my opinion :default_icon_e_smile:

Oh and as per above - Agreed :default_rofl:

Griff

Thing is I don't consider myself sensitive least not that much , I'm sure you know I'm also from Yorkshire and relatively thick skinned too .

Totally agree with above post too  and agree to differ life is too short not to .

Oh dear, I am back on the "common sense" track again. Basically, security mark it, display the fact that it is security marked, lock it down, and leave the boat in a place that is well used by other boaters or public. Whilst it will not stop the determined thieves it will deter the casual scumbag. The scum will use a battery powered angle grinder to cut any chain, outboard lock or even cut off the transom of a boat to get a good outboard. Usually the outboards, and indeed cars etc. can end up in containers and sent to Eastern Europe for resale.

Not sure about mop heads though, not much resale value there. Mind you The Beatles sold themselves well in Germany in the sixties..............Sorry!

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

I would like to know if any hiring Cruisers or Private Cruisers  have Crimes committed in the Summer or Winter?  I watched on BBC One this Morning called Thief Trackers this one about Outboard Motors blimey as a Sailing Club had a few Stolen and cost them a fortune to replace as theses Outboards are used on Small Boats for Sail Racing Yachts Safety. In the Programme they put a Tracker in one off there Outboard Motor and the Thieves went off with it and where caught with there Outboard Motor plus with quite a few others may I say in White Van Blimey what Catch and the Thieves are doing time for this good. There's an Old saying I believe if you have not got the Time Don't do the Crime. 

Andrew Cook    

If you have got the time, its a crime not to be on the broads !

• Like 1