Lap Tops

Andrewcook

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:08, Andrewcook said:

Taking Lap Tops on the Broads do we still get a good connections as to doing E- Mails ECT like that at Home? Or does any of the Norfolk Broads Net Forum  knows of any free Hi Fi Pubs / Cafes that does Lap Top connections?

Andrew Cook 

I use a "Three" network mi fi on my boat. Most pubs provide a connection too but I usually want a connection in the morning and late evening when I am on the boat. It costs me £15 per month for three gigabytes which is quite ample for me as I don't stream videos etc.

Forget the blurb about all the wonderful connections you get using BT, it rarely happens on the Broads.

42 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

I use a "Three" network mi fi on my boat. Most pubs provide a connection too but I usually want a connection in the morning and late evening when I am on the boat. It costs me £15 per month for three gigabytes which is quite ample for me as I don't stream videos etc.

Forget the blurb about all the wonderful connections you get using BT, it rarely happens on the Broads.

£15 for 3GB!

We get 15GB with Three for that.

Our 3 mifi unit worked a treat all over the Broads a couple of weeks ago.

we were able to stream Now TV and Amazon video without any issues at all ( didn’t try it at Horning mind you )

the router has external aerial sockets so you can add one if required but it worked great from inside the boat without one

I am a bit annoyed with Three, not over connection and coverage, but their new service of 'Home-Fi'

Basically you spend £24 a month and get a router with 4 Ethernet ports which is mains powered, and an allowance of 40GB for data. Sounds a good deal.

What if however you do not want to get the Router they offer, but a better one that does much of the same, and simple want a SIM that provides an allowance of 40GB a month either on a contract basis or pay as you go? Oh, no then they cannot help - you could however buy the Router for £59.99 and pay one payment of £24.00 for your first month - you'd then be in a month by month agreement - but get your 40GB allowance, then just chuck out the router and put your new Three SIM in the Router you want.

This seems astonishing, so I will see what Three have to say other than what they told me in the shop this lunchtime, but it truly is hard to get high data allowances on mobile networks, and no before one asks you can;t put one of their unlimited SIMs in a Router as their packing sniffing will determine it not to be a tethered mobile but a Router. This is why one has to use the SIM provided with the 'Home-Fi' package.

6 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

£15 for 3GB!

We get 15GB with Three for that.

Yep, you probably do, but I don't do contracts. I go PAYG. Sometimes I do not even use the three gigabytes. I could probably get away with one gigabyte for ten quid. Per lump it is slightly more expensive as is my PAYG mobile phone but there is no contract. That is why you see bods glued to their flipping phone almost 24 hours a day talking c**p just to use up their allowance.

Incidentally, I have also given my BT line the boot and only use my mobile now. I realised that I am out more than in so why pay for a land line when I am not there to use it? I am not into endless inconsequential chat. I just pass a message, that is enough. I actually go to visit my friends and family and talk face to face.

Strange am I not? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I am a bit annoyed with Three, not over connection and coverage, but their new service of 'Home-Fi'

Basically you spend £24 a month and get a router with 4 Ethernet ports which is mains powered, and an allowance of 40GB for data. Sounds a good deal.

What if however you do not want to get the Router they offer, but a better one that does much of the same, and simple want a SIM that provides an allowance of 40GB a month either on a contract basis or pay as you go? Oh, no then they cannot help - you could however buy the Router for £59.99 and pay one payment of £24.00 for your first month - you'd then be in a month by month agreement - but get your 40GB allowance, then just chuck out the router and put your new Three SIM in the Router you want.

This seems astonishing, so I will see what Three have to say other than what they told me in the shop this lunchtime, but it truly is hard to get high data allowances on mobile networks, and no before one asks you can;t put one of their unlimited SIMs in a Router as their packing sniffing will determine it not to be a tethered mobile but a Router. This is why one has to use the SIM provided with the 'Home-Fi' package.

The problem is the Homefi sim is the full credit card sized one:

2 hours ago, thingamybob said:

Yep, you probably do, but I don't do contracts. I go PAYG. Sometimes I do not even use the three gigabytes. I could probably get away with one gigabyte for ten quid. Per lump it is slightly more expensive as is my PAYG mobile phone but there is no contract. That is why you see bods glued to their flipping phone almost 24 hours a day talking c**p just to use up their allowance.

Incidentally, I have also given my BT line the boot and only use my mobile now. I realised that I am out more than in so why pay for a land line when I am not there to use it? I am not into endless inconsequential chat. I just pass a message, that is enough. I actually go to visit my friends and family and talk face to face.

Strange am I not? 

It is a contract but only a 30 day one. I won't do them for any longer than that.

Just checked my '3' upgrade was paying £15.99 for 15 gig. and now checking my bill it said contract £30 to just had a line chat.

" Your account has a £21 discount as a part of loyalty, so the monthly bill will be £9.00. "

" so im getting 20 gig/£9 monthly yes "

" Yes, that's absolutely right Steven. "

Got this by ringing up to see if my mifi had been used as I couldn't find the 1st night on board and it hadn't so didn't block the sim.

Finding it is another story.

While we're on laptops, can I charge a laptop (19v I think)  from a 12 volt battery?

I do not have an inverter nor do I want one. My last experience of inverters is going to cost me over £700 putting right all the damage it did.

I have a cigar lighter socket and a laptop. I want a cable that goes from one to the other !

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

While we're on laptops, can I charge a laptop (19v I think)  from a 12 volt battery?

I do not have an inverter nor do I want one. My last experience of inverters is going to cost me over £700 putting right all the damage it did.

I have a cigar lighter socket and a laptop. I want a cable that goes from one to the other !

I would think not, Have you tried an Ecan inverter just plug it in the cigar socket when you have the engine running and remove when not that way you won't flatten the battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ring+can+inverter&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=185256102151&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2909509898386006701&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044862&hvtargid=kwd-4077474140&ref=pd_sl_5llebclbrw_e

Edited by brundallNavy

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Maplins do a good one too. Just make sure that you have at least 11.5 volts in your battery otherwise it all goes pear shaped. The charger comes with multi plugs for whichever computer you are using and automatically senses what voltage the computer needs. I stand to be corrected but I think it is a nice piece of kit.