Ferry Inn Horning Do I Hear £1 ? Anyone ?

Snowy

:42_confused:  I'd buy a submarine, they are made to be underwater.

I anticipate lots of speculation to come as I know The Ferry has many detractors.

Quite a while ago, before we had ever hired a boat, we were in the area and witnessed it all boarded up. We walked all around it and couldn't understand how such a place in such a location could be boarded up. The next time we saw the place, a few years later, we were on a  boat and pleased it was open again. I know, as it is, it's not to everyones taste, but I hope it stays open. There are examples of how a riverside pub can be successful.

• Like 3

That is a prime piece of land in one of the busiest and well known places on the broads, there will be a lot of bidding for the freehold and it will fetch a good price. Collect the rent for the remaining 2 years of the lease and then refurb/redevelop the site.

The pub is in a prime position with regards to the river, but is off the beaten track with regards to the rest of Horing, the road down to it is very poor and is prone to flooding. Yes the marina and holiday lets adjacent to the pub may use the pub, but with the new bar/eatery in the Marina complex is now competition to the pub.

The pub looks good on the outside with good riverside seating and good mooring space, sadly the inside of the pub is not very inviting, it has a cold and dark feel about it. 

Ferry Marina would be better off buying it, doing a total revamp and using some of the land to extend the marina.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Yes I had forgotton about that road, Ferry Marina are the obvious buyer but I still think they will have to pay market value to secure it as it still  has the potential to be a profitable site on its own

I agree with Alan it has the potential for the season,but some thought has to be done out of season.I really do hope someone makes a go of it.Theres not secret I am not a fan.Have been there just a few times,different land lords.Never impressed. It can be turned  round.For sure it will take a few bob.If someone takes it on now. It can be done ready for spring.

29 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Looking at the link to the auction, it would appear that it is the freehold that is up for sale with a tenant agreement in force until 2020 with a rental of £90,000 per year.

Regards

Alan

90k rent, Cant be much meat left on the bone for the tenant after shelling out for that.

• Like 1

I think if you look closely at the condition of the building the cost of purchase will pale against the cost of keeping it standing. With the limited season, it's isolated location, the poor access road and other competition more easily accessible to the village I think the Ferry is fighting a losing battle. 

I hope I'm wrong. If I'd won the 155m on Friday I might be tempted but I wouldn't touch it if I needed to make any money.

I understand that not everyone has been a fan of the Ferry in recent years, me included to some extent, but I take my hat off to all those involved in keeping it going as long as they have.

22 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I completely agree. Alas it make a prime site for developers though. 

I agree it would be sad to see it go, but other than to another boatyard I'm not sure what it could be developed into, food and beverage does not seem to be enough to sustain it in its current form. 

29 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I completely agree. Alas it make a prime site for developers though. 

The only development I could see happening is an extension of the ferry marina.  

I personally dont think anything residential would be desirable on that plot and its obvious that for whatever reasons a pub/restaurant may find it a struggle, what else is there it could be used for?  Holiday chalets, permanant moorings.....another temple?!!

4 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

The only development I could see happening is an extension of the ferry marina.  

I personally dont think anything residential would be desirable on that plot and its obvious that for whatever reasons a pub/restaurant may find it a struggle, what else is there it could be used for?  Holiday chalets, permanant moorings.....another temple?!!

Yurts?

Just now, Chelsea14Ian said:

It can and should  stay as a pub,can't see any other thing working.It just needs to be well managed  and money spent on it

I agree, but would suggest that if it could become a profitable "gold mine" then one of the large chains would have bought it many years ago, invested the money and would now be reaping the rewards and customer acclaims would be in abundance.