We Need Some Serious Help !!

olliverdrake

I would doubt a small company like BBC would hire over Christmas, they may for the rest of December. You could always ask. Problem, as I mentioned earlier, is breakdown cover, a big company like Faircraft Loynes can probably cope with this better than the smaller yards. Having said that I hired from Swancraft in December for many years and only had a couple of very minor issues (not weather related).

Griff is quite right, ice is a no-no for any boat. However the weather in December has been remarkably mild in recent years, I can only recall 2010 where there was more widespread freezing. It tends to be colder in January and February.

If you do get problems with ice it tends to be off the main rivers, Griff has mentioned Stalham, there is also Ranworth, Womack, Lime Kiln dyke, Salhouse Broad, Sutton etc. But the main rivers don't tend to freeze and the only place on the Southern Broads where care is needed is Loddon, otherwise the tidal flow tends to overcome freezing.

Ranworth is one of the main ones to watch. Its a popular spot and freezes over very quickly if the temperature drops. You just need to keep an eye on the forecast if you are thinking of mooring overnight.

As I mentioned earlier I've been doing December for the last 11 years, often right up to Christmas and can honestly say I've not had any seasonal related issues whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend a total novice to do it however. In fact one of the hairiest experiences I've had was crossing Breydon in June!!!

Go on, crack the piggy bank and ring NBD. You'll have the holiday to remember! (for all the right reasons of course)!

:default_beerchug:

• Like 4

Yep, BB will offer a free dayboat and hamper, tree etc all thrown in.

http://www.barnesbrinkcraft.co.uk/christmas-new-year-2017/

Worth thinking about. You would be slightly limited for range with the day boat as it doesn't get light for navigation until nearly 8 and starts to get dark at 3.30 ish

its got to be quite cold for the main river to freeze at Wroxham although the side dykes will freeze over much more easily.

• Like 4

Hi all,

Sorry for late reply as only just catching up on here....

Brooms are definitely running some of their fleet over the winter months this year.  As a previous hirer we were asked our opinions and if we would consider this time of year - including Christmas and New Year.

Booking is only available directly with the yard (another improvement following customer feedback) - rather than going through Hoseasons site (in fact the winter months are still blocked out on Hoseasons site until March).

Might be worth a look - contact number - 01603 712334

We were considering another short break (3 nights) before Christmas - but as we are having 2 weeks in Gran Canaria from 11th Nov - cannot really justify it with work :default_biggrin:

One question i did consider when thinking about hiring during winter months is how would you get on with refilling with water if hoses frozen etc (only basing this on how often my garden hose freezes during winter months) - or is it not an issue?

Will be booking for March & September again though very soon.

Mark

• Like 4

Ok folks....Iv'e done it !!

I spoke with Lindsey at The Broads Boating Company this afternoon and she was more than helpful. Got a great deal on Hoveton for 4 nights and the bonus is we can pick the boat up as early as we like and return mid afternoon before it gets dark. She honestly couldn't do enough to help. Also offered a deal not to be refused for a short break in January for returning customers. Not sure I should post on here so I'll keep the deal to myself but I very much doubt I will be able to take advantage due to work commitments. Will have to see if I can juggle things a little.

So Christmas afloat and I cant wait. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice and if you see us out and about we promise to give an extra special Christmas wave.

Glenn

• Like 13

Nice one!

I must say hats off to the BBC for such good service. It will be cheaper than NBD that's for sure!

I know apartments have been suggested, which are fine,  but from personal experience I can honestly say you cant beat being afloat.

Just keep an eye on the forecast if mooring overnight at Ranworth or Womack in particular. Water isn't an issue either. Its needs quite a sustained frost for the hoses to freeze although they can do. Water is on all year at Ranworth and one of the best bets is Horning Marina Services. The latter are not a hire yard and a small gratuity is always well received particularly in winter. Ludham Bridge will usually sort you out with water. Also available at Moonfleet and Sutton Staithe Boatyard among other places. And presumably BBC of course. It shouldn't be a problem over 4 days.

I'm also pleased to see that Brooms have seen the light too! I did enquire there a year or 2 back and was told quite categorically that they do not hire in winter so they must have had a change of heart.

Winter cruising is catching on! :default_beerchug:

• Like 5

I'm struggling to get my missus to come with me in a fortnight, never mind Christmas :default_beerchug: ...... " It will be too cold " she cried :default_baby: ....... I only bought my boat 6 weeks ago and want to spend as much time on her as I can , even if it means alone :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

To Mrs L8Dave

Give it a go, I haven't actually cruised in mid winter but from Howards wonderful write ups and excellent advice on staying safe and warm you won't go wrong, absolutely magical this time of year and if you really don't want to go with Dave for a fortnight then I ruddy will :default_biggrin:

My lovely Howard, be careful what you wish for, if we all take to the rivers in December it won't be as quiet and peaceful as you've come to know and love now will it? :default_norty: :default_icon_kiss:

A very warm welcome aboard the forum from me Dave  :default_icon_wave:

Grace

• Like 4

Also offered a deal not to be refused for a short break in January for returning customers. Not sure I should post on here so I'll keep the deal to myself
Glenn

It’s okay the £1 January hire is no secret :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gracie said:

My lovely Howard, be careful what you wish for, if we all take to the rivers in December it won't be as quiet and peaceful as you've come to know and love now will it? :default_norty: :default_icon_kiss:

Ooops, good thinking Grace - much as I would love to see you on the rivers :default_icon_kiss: I forgot to mention that Breydon is chained off in winter, all the pubs are closed, boats break down with monotonous regularity, Ranworth and Horning are coned off, oh and I didn't mention the pack ice and polar bears...............:default_icon_razz:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Ooops, good thinking Grace - much as I would love to see you on the rivers :default_icon_kiss: I forgot to mention that Breydon is chained off in winter, all the pubs are closed, boats break down with monotonous regularity, Ranworth and Horning are coned off, oh and I didn't mention the pack ice and polar bears...............:default_icon_razz:

Hi Howard,

You also forgot to mention that the Yarmouth & Norwich yacht stations will be closed for the best part of 3 months plus within the next week or so.

Regards

Alan

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

a kingsize double sleeping bag, two hot water bottles, woolly hats and bed socks, your good lady will not be cold. 

I can vouch for that excellent advice. We always take a kingsize sleeping bag with us as it solves the problem of a smaller double bed than we are used to and someone pinching all the quilt!! Hot water bottles are great if you get a cold spell and especially if you can't sleep with cold feet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

You also forgot to mention that the Yarmouth & Norwich yacht stations will be closed for the best part of 3 months plus within the next week or so.

all a bit tongue in cheek, but yes you are right Alan. Mind you we've bunked over the wall a few times at Great Yarmouth if we've needed something from the shops. I just all 'elf and safety I suspect!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

all a bit tongue in cheek, but yes you are right Alan. Mind you we've bunked over the wall a few times at Great Yarmouth if we've needed something from the shops. I just all 'elf and safety I suspect!

And the mooring is FREE during the winter!!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, olliverdrake said:

I;m guessing they turn the electric posts off too. Or are they free out of season ?

Never used an electric post in my life. I'd guess at the Yacht station they will be switched off as its officially closed :default_norty: (and yes JM, no mooring fee! ) :default_eusa_dance:

but the ones at Ranworth, Horning etc are all on if you feel the need to 'plug in' all though I very much doubt if they are free!

We bought three £1 electric cards when we were out recently. But we plugged in at Ferry Marina twice where it is free, although I have no idea whether they would have any space on their river frontage out of season.

The other time we used an electric post was Ranworth. There was already money on one of the connections and even though we were there almost the full 24 hours we only used about 20 to 30p ... and that did include running the heating in the late afternoon, for a while in the evening and the next morning.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the boat has an electric hookup but was going to take a cable with a 13 amp household socket and secure inside the boat should we have a cold spell. We could then use a small oil filled radiator to take the overnight chill off. The boat does have 240 volt but the batteries would take a battering with a radiator running overnight. 

I'm sure if this is not a good idea someone can advise a more suitable setup.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, the 240v system will run from an inverter so it's only designed to supply high power for short periods. 

You could make up a cable with a caravan type plug at one end and socket at the other. I belive the posts have an  RCD type device. Personally I'm not convinced it's safe or worth the bother of searching for a socket every time you moor. Or if the Boatyard would approve. 

I can't say I've ever used shorepower. A double duvet or good sleeping bag will keep you snug at night and run the heating during the day. It's not the Arctic! You'll be fine. 

Just my personal view of course! 

Hi Howard

I have only ever used shore power on one occasion at Bramerton last year. Got the shock of my life ( not literally ) when I hooked up and looked at the little screen. I'm sure it said £300 in credit. Could be wrong it might have been £3.00 but I do know I didn't use one of the BA cards and ended up giving them to the next hirers when they boarded our boat as we were taking a second boat that day. I do remember the boatyard being very hesitant in supplying the shore power lead though, or maybe that was just me?. In all honesty we didn't really need it but boys and their toys. These modern cruisers are more than equipped for in season cruising but I know there will be a heavy demand on the batteries during the darkest month of the year. Although I wouldn't think running the engine will be a problem at moorings before and after 8 it would be nice for a little luxury ( warmth ) over Christmas should the need arise and the facility is available. If it's there why not make use of it. 

The lead you describe is exactly what I was thinking as I do know that the inverter wouldn't handle the radiator, or if it did it wouldn't be long before the engine was needed. I do know that the posts are fitted with RCD's so should be perfectly safe.

Again if anybody knows different or can offer further advice I would be more than happy to listen.

Glenn  

• Like 1