Dash Cameras

ExSurveyor

I have had very cheap (£10) dash cams in my car - resolution isnt great, but the current one was a £30 one from lidls, that works great, plugs into the lighter socket, fires up when the car is started, and gets a decent enough image.

This one - http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-8BF1A2A3-E6F5821A/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=81807820&title=Kojelautakamera&count=1

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a BlackVue.
Lots of features. I like the ability to view the camera from anywhere a lot.
But doesn’t do the basics as well as it should IMO. It often reboots itself. Often after a few annoying minutes of saying “check SD card” over and over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2017 at 15:01, Regulo said:

My original one won't charge up it's internal battery

Check the web site there was a batch with battery issues and I sent mine back and they swapped the battery and did a upgrade.

Nextbase 412 great camera.

Wish I'd had a rear view cam this morning, I fail to see one of them arrows in my right hand lane which means let the pratt in the sports bmw racing up in front of you. He wasn't happy and kept wanting to mount my rear bumper. I got video of his rear leaving me standing in a 30 road afterwards.

• Like 1

I bought my Nextbase after being involved in an accident the year before last. At the time I had a cheap Amazon camera that only seemed to work when it felt like it. Luckily this was one of the days that it was working.

Sunday evening and someone pulled out in front of me. The following morning I rang his insurer, Admiral, and the conversation went something like this.

Me: One of your policyholders wrote my car off last night, his reg is blah, blah

Admiral: [tap, tap, tappity tap] He is insured by us but we haven't had notification from him yet

Me: Yes you have, I heard him talking to you on the phone yesterday

Admiral: Ahh that would have gone to our 'out of hours' service. It will take a couple of days to get to us in claims

Me: Have you got an email address?

Admiral: Yes sir it is claims@blah blah

Me: OK well lets knock the BS on the head straight away. I've emailed you a link to my dashcam footage. If I haven't heard from you by close of business today accepting liability and with a proposal to deal with the claim I will be instructing the biggest bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers I can find. Bye {click}

This was at about 9.30am

By 3pm they had rung me back. How can we help? Do you need a car? When can our engineer inspect your car?

By Friday pm we had agreed a value and the money was in my account the following Monday morning

That convinced me of the need to get a decent Dashcam and also to fit one in Debs' and my father-in-law's car

Steve

• Like 2

I had a Polish lorry pull out into the side of me on the M25 writing off my car. I took 18 months to get the claim sorted as I had trouble proving it was his fault, when I got a replacement car the first thing I did was buy a dash cam as you would have seen the whole incident on camera if I had one fitted.

Doug.

I think Dash cams are a great idea although I havent yet purchased one myself as its the whole fixing to the dash and having to put it away each time you leave the car to deter thiefs thats been putting me off, its a faff and if your doing it with your satnav to its double faff!

I would like to see the technology built in to new vehicles with it being always on and just being a case of removing an sd card directly from the vehicle to access the footage. 

33 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have a dash cam, Bro' bought it for me as a Christmas present last year, to my eternal sham it is still in it's box,  I've been proper lazy getting it set up and running.  I have no idea if it is any good or not

Griff

BA NBN 371.JPG

Charlie, they are generally just a suction cup, and plug into the lighter socket, mine powers up when you turn the ignition on (and the socket goes live) and off after I turn the car off, the g sensor on mine stores the current video in an area where it isnt erased by subsequent video.

The nextbase 412 has a sucker mount then the cam slides on and off it, I take mine off depending where I am, but in the van with no makeup mirror sorry rear view the suckers stay on the little black dots where it should be and it's hard to see.

If you play it back after a run over to the coast on the A roads it shows your speed and G force in bends etc on maps.

Just remember if you have a bump and it's your fault rag it off the screen quick! And don't be talking on the mobile if it's recording sound as well.

Ok this still bugs me I get 4hr on 32gig so don't get the full Leeds to Newcastle return run but early this year I was coming out of the services at Scotch Corner (A66) going north on the A1 and started passing a older coach, breakdown truck, fire engine, wagon tractor unit the door was padlocked up then armed police van, armed army van, wagon pulling a trailer, a lorry with driver padlocked in and this repeated 3 times with armed vans between.

On getting to the office I searched and found they were nuke war heads so that may explain the drivers padlocked in so they cant get jumped. You can see this on youtube and they don't mess if your in the way.

The camera stopped recording after passing the wagon pulling the trailer and didn't record anything else till I set off home again. Chances of that happening they couldn't have used a jammer not with electronics in cars these days and the camera is basic electronics.  

12 minutes ago, Daddy Mouse said:

Bought a nextbase 512 GW last night after reading the thread. Easy to set up and use in the car-------- now to try it going through horning on the boat.

If using it on the boat to film the journey remember to turn off the speed data information overlay  ( unless you want it on your video of course). Once it’s recorded you can’t turn it off but remember to turn it back on to use it in the car.

I know someone who lives in north London who has bought a dash cam.  He witnessed a black cab driver overtake him whilst he was stopped at a pedestrian crossing as someone was walking across........ he sent the footage to the police and they replied that they would be prosecuting the cab driver as a result.

2 hours ago, Daddy Mouse said:

Bought a nextbase 512 GW last night after reading the thread. Easy to set up and use in the car-------- now to try it going through horning on the boat.

Either use a 12v extension or this time I used one of them portable battery packs usb type to get the cam on the front with less engine noise.