Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Eastcoast IPA wanted a link to the smart sockets: http://amzn.eu/fvQJCwx 

I am just back and sadly no BSS Examination took place as the gentleman had suffered a bad back problem,the early call to me was appreciated and we have re-booked for next weekend.

I also have found a second fuel leak, this one from the fuel supply to the new heater - email to Esper in Plymouth Sunday night, phone call from them this morning. They accept fault and are willing to pay for a third party to repair it, the other fuel leak from the vent hose from the centre tank (now seemingly stopped as centre tank is isolated and I have been using as much fuel out of it as possible running engines and generator and heating) they have said may be their responsibly when running the ducting, but I need to get a local yard in to asses if they feel it is and call Esper - who will then either authorise payment to repair or come up to Norfolk and effect repair themselves. I have to say very pleased with the service and approach they have shown to this.

Other than spending most the weekend in the engine room cleaning up, there has not been a great deal to report but I am building a list of new items to get including a combined Inverter/Charger and a suite of new batteries. I am not going down the Lithium route after all because having thought more about it I would mainly use the boat where there is either shore power or where I can generate my own 240v. So am going for something like  two 200Ah AGM  batteries for the domestics, one 200Ah cranking battery for both engines, and a 110Ah for the generator. This is almsot what is in situ currently but will give me some more domestic capacity.

Stuart - my pressure issues are a lot better since fitting a new water pump, still rated to 30psi but with a 20 litre per minute flow rate. This was identical to the previous one and indeed to the first one a Jabsco model which I found the manual for onboard and would have been fitted as new. While I could go maybe to 40psi I'd prefer not to push things too far especially if the boat always had 30psi pumps from build.

Hmm what else - not done any updater videos though did do something on mobile which I was going to upload to the Facebook Group but don;t have very good data with O2 at the mooring so may do that later and share here too. I am find taking the rough by the way with You Tube, but I post the videos not for attention but frankly because people seem to like watching them. As with the hire boat videos much of the time I would rather not take time out the day to record and later edit them, as it is a bind on time but once you have it is nice to have a record to look back over - as for the YBW Forum as I have said here I think before, that is the side show to things and I pop over there to see what is what when I have a moment, the fire burns stronger there than here so needs more fuel at times.

Fuel Vent Hoise.jpg

Heater Fuel Supply Leak 2.jpg

Heater Fuel Supply Leak.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jocave said:

Be serious he hasn't :15_yum: , and certainly not on this forum :15_yum: seams llike some seam to conveniently forget now and again but yes your bang on right Jocave it has been said many times and the expression you can lead a horse to water springs immediately to mind , each to their own but the amount of knowledgeable people who refuse to comment now is quite amazing really,  mmm whys that then ? 

Jocave,  Sigh,

Just how much time did you waste finding that old thread then?

I have answered this before on the YBW, didn't really think I'd be having to do it here as well. :default_icon_e_confused:

Yes that was his first topic in which he did seek advice before Independence was purchased which then petered out in the normal manner and basically ended, the last post was Jun 2017 for goodness sake.

Then he started up another one 'Motor Boats Change of direction' - Not an advice seeking thread, that one lead up to the purchase.

Then he started up the current one which is still running 'Independence Updates and Cruising' where no advice was sought in fact if you go over there you can watch a video where he explains to the YBW membership pretty much the same thing.

Hmmmmm, do some more research / splitting hairs if you wish, my answer will then be - AND?

Griff

• Like 5

I did ask advice on the YBW to begin, you know out of being polite as a first time poster when I was looking at buying a Fariline 50 from the 1990's - but to be honest it was not out of contempt for peoples views and opinions, I soon found that what was being said was very much inline with the accepted way of doing things - and I did not seek to follow that well trodden path I wanted to make my own (complete with my own mistakes) but none the less share the journey.

As you will see, I was all up for new engines,internal  fit out, all sorts was going to happen but the general consensus was 'why on earth would you do that' it would add no value and cost so much to achieve. I was a bit disappointed so went away for a bit and changed my mind. Go larger and newer and cut out the refurbishment work.

So I returned and this time liked the idea of a Fairline Sqaudron 55 from 2002/2003 and then upped that to Squadron 58 from 2004 which had some new larger 'square' port lights and additional packages  plus I really liked the radar tower up on the fly bridge. As a result I came very close to buying this one: https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1417209/ - which I see is still on the market today.

So during this phase no advice was sought, but the updates continued.  I went right off at a tangent suddenly and got into Traders and so after figuring out that was the way I really wanted to head in and finding the right model it took one visit and 20 minutes looking around to put in an offer and the rest is history and so here and there the thread charting my time with her began and continues.

Edited to add: Generally I am not looking for advice or help because it is very rare that I will learn something I never knew before (on a given subject) - so let us take batteries. I could come and ask people what they thought about the best way forward was for my battery bank replacement. People would come and share their own views, personal experiences and you may even get those working in he field add their practical wisdom. 

But the thing I most enjoy is spending often days almsot to the point of obsession reading up on, learning about, emailing companies getting data and so on the products and services that are out there - and this (if we stick to batteries) took me away from automotive and marine to renewal energy companies and a UK based company who produce their own bespoke to order systems. I found out so much more, but I also enjoy the journey to learn it myself.

Now I was all set for a large lithium battery bank which would be custom made for the boats power requirements with a new switch panel and remote web based monitoring - the problem was in the 12 odd days of being in Norfolk I have come to the conclusion if I went with such a system how much actual use would it get? I am on shore power and if I am not I would not be 'away from base' too long - even if I was or was to visit a Marina without a shore power connection, I can call upon 13Kw of energy at the touch of a button.  Hmm not really going to need all that Lithium technology...

So I am going to get AGM batteries instead, slightly increase my domestic amp hour capacity in the process, so I know the battery technology I want, I know the brand of battery I want, I know the brand and type of integrated charger and inverter too and I could go and buy all of this and get my long suffering Stepdad to drive the bunch of stuff the boat and we would do our backs in lugging about huge 200Ah batteries in and out of the engine room. Or I could just get a local boatyard to do this for me and pay them instead of doing my back in. It is a tough call..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Why do some people seem to want to steer this thread away from its subject? This is not thread "drift" IMHO but something else less pleasant. How much poorer this forum would have been if robin took offence and hadn't kept us in touch with his last few months of activity-how many positive views and comments ? Mind you a few of us would have spent a little more time working I think!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, johnb said:

Why do some people seem to want to steer this thread away from its subject? This is not thread "drift" IMHO but something else less pleasant. How much poorer this forum would have been if robin took offence and hadn't kept us in touch with his last few months of activity-how many positive views and comments ? Mind you a few of us would have spent a little more time working I think!

Oh I'm sorry John b is there not enough back patting going on my sincere apologies 

Why do some people seem to want to steer this thread away from its subject?

No Idea JohnB,  I do wish they wouldn't, I've enough on my plate what with trying to keep 'B.A' on track, finding time to get back onto her upgrades then also trying not to feel guilty of not being inboard Indy to help Robin out.  The best I can do at present is spend time on the phone with him - which we do of course.  Still,  Indy is akin to the Mighty Yare she now floats on, just like the river, she will get there at her own pace in her own time 'With a little help from her friends' - There's a song there somewhere there I think. :default_biggrin:

Griff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Why do some people seem to want to steer this thread away from its subject?

No Idea JohnB,  I do wish they wouldn't, I've enough on my plate what with trying to keep 'B.A' on track, finding time to get back onto her upgrades then also trying not to feel guilty of not being inboard Indy to help Robin out.  The best I can do at present is spend time on the phone with him - which we do of course.  Still,  Indy is akin to the Mighty Yare she now floats on, just like the river, she will get there at her own pace in her own time 'With a little help from her friends' - There's a song there somewhere there I think. :default_biggrin:

Griff

Awe bless :15_yum:

32 minutes ago, johnb said:

Er one member doesn't make a forum I think you will find , and you will also find that Robin ignores everything anyway.

As for thread drift I think if you look back this thread has drifted lots of times  and lead by some very vocal members and yet not one complaint , all threads drift now and again there's nothing sinister in it .

1 hour ago, Londonlad1985 said:

This was a pleasant thread at the beginning. But people seem determined to pick arguments and post "comment bait" I've obviously taken the bait, but I hate waking up to 20 e mail notifications telling me how petty the internet is.

Happy Tuesday everyone. 

I think it’s the time of year, as someone’s already mentioned, people can’t get out on the rivers and get frustrated, and ratty. I’ve noticed the same on a popular BBQ group I’m a member of.

This of course isn’t an excuse for bad manners, merely an observation 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Eastcoast IPA wanted a link to the smart sockets: http://amzn.eu/fvQJCwx 

Thanks Robin, that is the one that I have been looking at. I currently have a plug in thermostat that turns the tube heater on and off at 7 degrees, but have no idea if the electric is on remotely, which is why I had been looking at the iSocket. My only other concern is where the boat is moored has quite poor mobile phone coverage so not 100% sure whether its going to work for me or not. I guess that with a £40 round trip to check on the boat occasionally its going to be worth a punt as three saved trips and its paid for.

One thing to note Robin, is that the one in the amazon link above only supports 2G which has been phased out by Three and I think EE are doing likewise. I wonder how long before other networks follow suit. There is however a newer 3G variant available on the manufacturers website, I haven't looked around yet for cheaper suppliers.

http://www.isocket.eu/

The problem with advice is that if someone asks for advice and ten people replied, you'd probably get 10 different answers, some absolutely right and some not so. You then still have to do your own research to decide which advice, or combination of, you want to take. I'm sure most advice is given with good intention, but even the most well meaning person can get it wrong sometimes as well. However sometimes some pieces of advice given can lead to a very interesting thread drift from which we can all learn at times. Most of us never stop learning.

So I guess the moral is give advice if you want, but you won't be right all the time, and don't be offended if your advice isn't taken, or disputed. Oh and keep an open mind because you may also learn more.

Forums such as these would be a lot poorer if people didn't offer their advice, requested or not, but they are a lot poorer for the constant petty point scoring.:default_beerchug: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think the biggest problem with forums is opinion is often presented as fact.
This can catch the unwary out.
The only way to avoid opinion and advice (asked for or not) is don’t post or only post on a blog with comments turned off.
If you only want positive comments you need a different universe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Today I have the Broads Authority Tolls office in a spin over the short visit Toll.  I called to renew it for a further two weeks, since the BSS examination did not take place as expected yesterday and there will be a week of nothing much taking place until this coming Saturday when the examination (I hope) does take place. Once it has taken place, and I have the list of items to rectify, I need to get such put right and I am hopeful that this could happen at reasonably short notice, not to mention also sort the issues with the heater stand pipe leaking from the fuel tank.

The question I put to the Authority was; what would happen if the items that needed to be sorted (of which I know not what they may be currently) was not to be rectified by the expiry of the second two week visitor Toll? They said I could apply for a '50% toll' (which I think is where you get an annual toll but it effectively is a six month toll as you are paying for half of the year). This is because they could not issue me with any further visitor Tolls but I am also getting very close to the end of the current year (April to April) so my visitor Toll payments made so far would be deducted from my 'six month Toll' that in fact would only be valid for a couple of months before I had to spend for a further full annual Toll.

This is all making sense to me, until I pointed out the issue of lacking a current BSS certificate and  how can I be issued with a six month Toll if the boat has not got one? Ah Urm .. And with that I was told they would to discuss my case at a senior level and I am now waiting a call back to see what will happen.

It is also interesting the amount I paid over the phone at the side of the river when I had the Ranger stop by in his launch was incorrect by £43.50.

Now moving on from the current situation on the ground, so to speak:

This thread I know irks some that follow it (and indeed who engage in it) that either the thread is wandering off away from the likes of the above (whereby I share what is what and currently going on) to those who reply and are involved with the discussion and are kind with their offers of help or advice. They may feel I ignore such advice proffered and then feel a bit off with me over it.

With respect to anyone who has given advice to me, or may wish to in the future, please don’t be miffed if I either don’t take it or do something contrary to it. I am not snubbing anyone personally and I am sorry if anyone feels I may have or am, but I am simply wanting to do things in my particular way.  This may lead you to read and look on in horror and pull your hair out wondering why I am doing something in the manner I am, but I need to do this and I need to make my own mistakes and cost myself my own money and learn and experience such things – just as I have all along with this project.

You see this is as much a test of my own self resolve and character to do this than anything else. To decide to go for it initially and buy the boat without doing the usual and proper checks such as having an out of water survey, a sea trial and so on. The way I negotiated the price, the manner in which I was sharing the progress of such in my posts and videos right up to now where I am dealing with local engineers, examiners and the Broads Authority. Nobody is telling me “What you need to do Robin is...” or “Now, if I was you I would do this...” I am doing it in the way I see fit to, which may be about face and a right faff about and cost me double what It might have done but I really need to do this and I simply wanted to share this as I went along.

By saying the above it might seem as some kind of heartfelt emotional response to recent opinions others have shared, when actually from my point of view it is the opposite. In short, what I do will be what I do and that is for my own reasons and I will continue to chart the progress (or lack thereof) I make so what others may feel or say I can’t allow to bother me because the moment I do or I begin to take heed of what others may be saying then I am no longer being true to myself, and making my own choices (and mistakes) which as I say is what this is all about.

I know that may be hard to understand but that is what the current situation is, this is an outlet as other platforms are for me not to tell people this is what to do, not to ask for people’s assistance, but to simply share what it is I am doing. That said when people have sub-discussions about something this is great because it may be someone learns something that may help them with an issue quite unconnected to my own - so I am not saying do not reply, do not offer advice to me, but please don't be offended if I do something contrary to it.

If nobody replied further here or elsewhere and I was simply posted updates to a blank wall, I would continue for nothing else that I like to read over things myself as almost a diary and record of a time and experience that took place. I've given myself 12 months with the boat to see if I love her, if this time next year I am not then it will be a case of saying I came, I tried, I did and now it is time to move on so I ma very much not being lead by my heart in this project but none the less I am enjoying each twist and turn, even if sometimes I might get a bit low when you find and solve one problem and another pops it's head up right after.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1