Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

If you read what I said I wasn't I merely stated that it was not relivent on a broads forum and that someone else might see the term in a bad light .

So as far as you are concerned, nothing but broads topics are allowed on here? The broads start at the Yellow board on the Yare and the inside of the gates at Mutford lock Anything else is salty side then. So none of the journey planning, seatrials and eventual trip (reported at length and enjoyed by many)  from Plymouth to Great Yarmouth haven, should have been discussed? And only once they got onto the broads, could we discuss anything about Independence?

Nicknames have been in our lives since time immemorial, most of the modern surnames derive from nicknames, lots of them very derogatory but nobody stops calling themselves by them.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My old man was a Bootneck,  my little sister was called Sprog until the day she died,   a fairly common nickname for a sailors child.

My eldest sister married a sailor,  guess what their first child is call.

David :default_biggrin::default_beerchug:

Fred or George anything but Sprog

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

Robin:

What i wanted to know is what has happened to the washing machine(washergate).did it get through the door?

also the Crane arm for the rib was moved around at dover, did it help the trim

Great thread and a beasty of a boat, what a cracking crew, absolutely loving it

paul

The Washing Machine was never changed and is working just fine once more, the crane arm being moved over would have taken some weight off the port side and transferred it more centrally. The lifting eye on the crane was a good 6" above the RIB cover however upon moving the crane back to its normal position in Yarmouth I see the cover is now torn showing that despite new straps to secure the RIB it had been able to move up in the swell and the lifting hook rip the cover. It had previously got repairs made so it is not in anyway pristine but I wonder how much Williams will charge for a new cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is a Forum about boating, covering the Broads. I did wonder if this should be posted to the Offshore Area of the Forum, but since it is about a boat that was coming to and staying on the Broads felt it was ok to stay where it was.

I am keeping things on course as far as the boat goes and sharing things here about the items I need to address onboard more than worrying about other things :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

The Washing Machine was never changed and is working just fine once more, the crane arm being moved over would have taken some weight off the port side and transferred it more centrally. The lifting eye on the crane was a good 6" above the RIB cover however upon moving the crane back to its normal position in Yarmouth I see the cover is now torn showing that despite new straps to secure the RIB it had been able to move up in the swell and the lifting hook rip the cover. It had previously got repairs made so it is not in anyway pristine but I wonder how much Williams will charge for a new cover.

Robin I know you have not asked for this advice but don't go to Williams try Baily and Stone excellent company to deal with and fairly priced :default_biggrin:

1 minute ago, quo vadis said:

Robin I know you have not asked for this advice but don't go to Williams try Baily and Stone excellent company to deal with and fairly priced :default_biggrin:

It's ok to give advice that's not been asked for, most of us do that all the time on here, just don't get upset if it's not listened to :default_laugh::default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It's ok to give advice that's not been asked for, most of us do that all the time on here, just don't get upset if it's not listened to :default_laugh::default_eusa_naughty:

Takes more than that to upset  us Boghoppers not like them Peabellies :default_biggrin:

Edited by quo vadis
because i can
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

So a lot has been said about all sorts of things not connected to the point of the thread: Independence so I will be getting on with more editing tonight of the Blog that I filmed of the delivery trip so we can shortly have that to watch and comment on.

for now I wanted to share this video with you all and encourage everyone to please 'play nice' and think positive because I don't want our Moderators who have so far been really cool and fair to have to become a bit more firm it is after all just about a boat :)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 21
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, MrB said:

Geezz, the boat didn't get a full shake down, it hadn't been used in ages and didn't have full sea trials nor did it have a survey! His head went totally (massive anxiety attack) (( I do not hold that against him, i know how it feels)) and half the crew were sea sick, even seasoned sailors and you're telling me this was a well executed trip? Lots of rose tinted glasses on here and maybe that's good for a blog. I hope he and his girlfriend get to love the boat again after a harrowing experience. 

All this was pre-Dover and the only reason i have posted here was to get the best (read hardest) part of the trip from the crew that actually did it!!!  

As I read the thread the boat came with a no expense spared impeccable history  also the hand over at the previous owners expense with Robin was done by the company that looked after this boat - it then got a shake down by the Stalham Navy to make sure they was up to standard - which it was before she was put to sea 

also here on this forum the credentials of the crew was widely know - had the been a free passage up for grabs then the list would have been too long 

with regards Robin having a wobble - then it would not surprise me for one minute.......his world has been running at ninty mph for the last few weeks and we are all only human 

anyway the boat is where Robin wanted her . I hope he can now chill out and start to get the feel of her and enjoy at his own pace - you simply cannot buy experience you have to put the time and I think the broads is the perfect place to cut your teeth with such type of boat - so Robin enjoy 

oh and can we stop all this shite and get back how this thread was intended to be 

fuming Finny

• Like 25

5 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

So a lot has been said about all sorts of things not connected to the point of the thread: Independence so I will be getting on with more editing tonight of the Blog that I filmed of the delivery trip so we can shortly have that to watch and comment on.

for now I wanted to share this video with you all and encourage everyone to please 'play nice' and think positive because I don't want our Moderators who have so far been really cool and fair to have to become a bit more firm it is after all just about a boat :)

On the 'Landlord' point, its always hard to leave the hard work at the office, hope you gave him hell. LOL