Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

9 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

I'll have a cup, NATO standard.

I'm not sure you realise the irony in your post.

You said...."Robin chose to ignore that which is cool"....so why bother mentioning it?

You then said (again)..."Robin chose to ignore that which is cool"...so why bother saying it?

There is no proof that any of his decisions led to his anxiety attack.

AFAIK he was never in charge and wasn't lucky with his crew.

FWIW I had you down as one of the few not the many.

My point was he chose to ignore every bit of advice he was given from very able seamen that are commercially endorsed and now we see the results. Argue it if you must but safety is worth more than a bloggers blog. 

Oh dear! Robin had a highly competent skipper on this project, with North Sea Patrol experience. It was carefully planned, and yes the sea threw a wobbly which pushed the limits, but they were going to get through because his skipper and members of crew were equal to the task. The boat had been prepped and tested  competently too.

I read enough of the thread elsewhere to make me think the averse judgement of the voyage has already been made.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, MrB said:

My point was he chose to ignore every bit of advice he was given from very able seamen that are commercially endorsed and now we see the results. Argue it if you must but safety is worth more than a bloggers blog. 

That suggestion (allegation?) is unfounded in this case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MrB said:

Robin tends not to ask for advice, but many choose to give it.

He is a rational adult with the capacity to do his own research and select a competent crew.

Doing a blog or sharing his adventure is not,  despite some peoples hopes, an invitation to share their great wisdom and then get upset if it is ignored.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Polly said:

Oh dear! Robin had a highly competent skipper on this project, with North Sea Patrol experience. It was carefully planned, and yes the sea threw a wobbly which pushed the limits, but they were going to get through because his skipper and some crew were equal to the task. The boat had been prepped and tested  competently too.

Geezz, the boat didn't get a full shake down, it hadn't been used in ages and didn't have full sea trials nor did it have a survey! His head went totally (massive anxiety attack) (( I do not hold that against him, i know how it feels)) and half the crew were sea sick, even seasoned sailors and you're telling me this was a well executed trip? Lots of rose tinted glasses on here and maybe that's good for a blog. I hope he and his girlfriend get to love the boat again after a harrowing experience. 

All this was pre-Dover and the only reason i have posted here was to get the best (read hardest) part of the trip from the crew that actually did it!!!  

But he did listen to the advice given by a very able seaman, who was skippering the boat for him, who he had chosen for his knowledge of the waters and experience. and crew who had in the past visited and sailed the various parts of the route he was taking. Trust me when you sail with Griff, the first thing you get every day is the safety briefing, apart from being the owner, Robins main task on the trip was the blog. His crew was chosen to leave him that opportunity.

I have worked on maintenance of Broad Ambition with most of the members he had on the crew, second best is not an option.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

But he did listen to the advice given by a very able seaman, who was skippering the boat for him, who he had chosen for his knowledge of the waters and experience. and crew who had in the past visited and sailed the various parts of the route he was taking. Trust me when you sail with Griff, the first thing you get every day is the safety briefing, apart from being the owner, Robins main task on the trip was the blog. His crew was chosen to leave him that opportunity.

I have worked on maintenance of Broad Ambition with most of the members he had on the crew, second best is not an option.

He was lucky to have Griff on-board....imagine if he didn't?  It was an easy enough** trip for him and the other RN guy but at the cost of the rest of the crew either being ill or leaving the trip!!   ** Griff and the other RN guy can deal with these conditions, they are used to it but the rest of the crew?   I'm going to leave this one here now as i'm flogging a dead horse, ocean going and caravan club springs to mind.

12 minutes ago, MrB said:

That comment is hilarious. Would you take advice from a blogger with no idea or a yacht master ocean instructor? 

You assume Robin didn't seek advice from a time served former professional seaman rather than listen to anonymous posters on a forum.

I could say I am a commercially proven yacht master but you have no way of checking.

Always better to follow advice from someone you know and trust rather than someone on the end of a keyboard.

I have no doubt that Robin would not have contemplated this trip or the sea trial without Griff onboard.

Just my view.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, MrB said:

Mr B, I do not and will not argue on an internet forum, it's like trying to put a pair of tights on a cat, almost impossible and ultimately pointless, however, again I point you to what you said... "he chose to ignore every bit of advice he was given.....now we see the results."

His boat is on it's mooring, all secure, not in a small part due to advice and actions from his experienced and trusted friends.

Now, that all sounds to me like.... He chose to ignore every bit of experienced advice that I think he should have taken and instead chose to take the advice of his experienced crew which I don't agree with but he got away with it and was lucky.

That's what it sounds like, I might have read it wrong though.

• Like 4

In my days as an instructor it was offshore yacht master, not that that matters. 

I do not for one moment believe that Robin took unacceptable risks. He delegated much of the decision making to a man that I would trust with the life of myself and my family. The journey was clearly uncomfortable but nevertheless the boat was well maintained and more than capable of surviving what nature threw at her. Had she not been suitable for the task in hand then Griff would, I'm sure, have remained in harbour, run for harbour or hove too. In the event he was forced to throttle back, prudent, good seamanship by the man who was there. Robin clearly did not ignore good advice, obviously he took it from one well able to provide it, hence Independence is now cosily moored up in her intended berth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In my days as an instructor it was offshore yacht master, not that that matters. 

You shock me as an YM offshore instructor but that's your call. I have absolutely no doubts in Griffs ability, his take on the trip would be nice as that's all i wanted to hear, he and his crew did a great job and the write-up would be epic. It looked like a difficult trip and a write-up from the crew that actually did it would be fantastic. 

1 minute ago, MrB said:

You shock me as an YM offshore instructor but that's your call. I have absolutely no doubts in Griffs ability, his take on the trip would be nice as that's all i wanted to hear, he and his crew did a great job and the write-up would be epic. It looked like a difficult trip and a write-up from the crew that actually did it would be fantastic. 

Or it would give the doom mongers something else to pick at .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1