Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We or I, just would like to hear about the last part of the trip (Dover onward)  when Robin wasn't on board from someone who was.

Robin will be along in due course no doubt.  He will be putting together his blog in the normal manner.  Once he has done that and got us up to date I will do a small write up on the Dover to GYA section.  It'd be no good me jumping in with it just now as that would put the thread out of sequence.  Besides as I've stated before this is Robins adventure which he has kindly / generously taken the lot of us along with him, I am just one of the normal guests along for the ride

Hope you understand

Griff

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Or it would give the doom mongers something else to pick at .

In my eyes no. He (Griff) read the weather for the day and made an informed judgement on his ability, the boats and the crews. A write-up would be very informative on a cruise up that side of the coast in winter in a Trader. I have no doubt they had fun, it would be nice just to hear about it.

Getting away with it was never an option. Having read Robin's blog it is clear that everything from stem to stern has been checked, sea conditions were bad but not incredibly so, the crew were capably lead. Mr B, I personally know both Robin and Griff, the inference that they are both caravaners afloat is, I think, an insult although I accept that that might not have been intentional. For me, enough said. I've enjoyed the alternative opinion and experience and thank Mr B for that. Robin accepted good advice from a man that he knows, not from a man that he doesn't, I don't have a problem with that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrB said:

In my eyes no. He (Griff) read the weather for the day and made an informed judgement on his ability, the boats and the crews. A write-up would be very informative on a cruise up that side of the coast in winter in a Trader. I have no doubt they had fun, it would be nice just to hear about it.

Your posts are inconsistent.

One moment you knock him - and especially Robin - and then you wait to hear what a great job he did.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrB said:

You shock me as an YM offshore instructor but that's your call. I have absolutely no doubts in Griffs ability, his take on the trip would be nice as that's all i wanted to hear, he and his crew did a great job and the write-up would be epic. It looked like a difficult trip and a write-up from the crew that actually did it would be fantastic. 

Other than the uncalled for insult I have to agree with your comments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Your posts are inconsistent.

One moment you knock him - and especially Robin - and then you wait to hear what a great job he did.

I want to hear what a great job Griff did.....Robin wasn't on the boat. Keep up!!

9 minutes ago, MrB said:

How did i insult you? If i did i apologize profusely, I'm just not like that.

To be honest I think that you have insulted both Robin and Griff too but there we go, time for my hot chocolate and cosy up to the wife. Tomorrow is another day, hope to hear from you then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

To be honest I think that you have insulted both Robin and Griff but there we go, time for my hot chocolate and cosy up to the wife. Tommorow is another day, hope to hear from you then.

How have i insulted Robin and Griff? I find Griff a great guy, very funny on the videos and a very able sailor.....I look forward to his posts on the trip . I also like Robins blogs? Geez, hard audience here! 

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Mr B, if I have over reacted then I apologise, however, I suggest that you read back over what you have written. I have a desperate need for my beauty sleep right now, good night and happy dreams.

Ok, in the morning read back and tell me how i insulted you, Griff and Robin. Good night :) 

34 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Or it would give the doom mongers something else to pick at .

If Robin wants to post his whole life on various forums,YouTube,the internet for the whole world to read then surley he is going to get some negative comments or replys that he doesn't like, he posted on ybw as a newbie to sea going boats to many many people who are far more experienced than him and chose to ignore their advice and some of his replies like "i wouldnt have stabs if they were free"are bound to cause replies that rile some people nothing wrong with that IMHO you only get one shot at life and you don't know what's around the corner so do whatever you feel is right, myself I don't get why Robin bought the boat he did,the way he did ,the place its moored but hey ho that's what he wanted to do so he did it, so good for him and I wish him all the best, been a follower of the blogs from day one and totally enjoyed every single one of them, in the past couple of weeks the first thing I have done in the mornings is check the Indy thread,good on you Robin I hope you have many happy times on the boat, do whatever makes you happy and ignore everyone else ,made up for you and the new adventure and look forward to the following updates..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I get why stabilizers are not on Robins list,  when used,  Indy will be on the Broads with a few fair weather trips to sea.  For his planned use they are a waste of money.

Why caravan's have stabilisers :15_yum:

There is one point that a small few in here are missing.  The same point is being missed by a lot of more but not all of them there salty social sailors over on the YBW.  I have obviously kept up with this whole thread.  I have read the YBW thread from start to finish only today.  Now tell me I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will take great delight in doing so) but exactly where has Robin ASKED for advice then?

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't.  So how can some gloat / criticise when 'Their' advice has been ignored?  Can someone explain that one to me?  I do geddit when someone thinks their way / knowledge is paramount above everyone else's, posts up their holy advice - it gets ignored (As it was never asked for in the first place) - Result? said poster throws teddies because his god given holier than thow advice has been ignored!

Robin now and again does ask for advice, he tends to do that face to face and is a good listener.  What he is really good at though is doing his own research then making a decision on what he gleans from said research.  That's his way and it works for him.

What he has also done is have an idea, then a dream then turned it into an adventure, then the Captains Blogs and took the whole lot of us along for the ride FOC.  He has not done this for personal gain either monetary or fame, what with his camera gear it has probably cost him to do it.

(I know it cost me as I ran out of data and had to spend £15 to top it up to keep everyone updated whilst we were out at sea)

He has done it because    1) He wanted to and      2) he was capable of doing it.  I for one like the majority of forumites are pretty glad he did to.

So when the salty (And some fresh too) know-it-alls start banging on about how he has ignored their advice, just agree with the statement, don't rise to it like I have done and reply with just one question, it's a very easy question, it fact it has only just one word and it goes like this

AND?

And FWIW - Robin was never lucky with his crew.  It was planned that  way PPPPPP.

The crew - I can set that one straight too. Hand picked by yours truly

Myself - Well you should all know by now so not going to start banging on about my previous life or current quals.

Howard (Bro') - Chief Tiff but originally a MEM(L) that means marine engineer with heavy Electrics then qualified as a nuclear watchkeeper on Polaris then Trident propulsion / generation etc 24 Yrs in the RN. Experience on FPB's 54 years as a Broads sailor, 11 of which owning 'B.A'  A red hot navigator although not officially qualified

Brian - 27 years as a Crabfat, only experience at sea is fishing trips and the Indy trip, but plenty of Broads experience.  However being ex-military knows how to step up to the plate in the face of adversity and when instructed to do a task, does just that and won't stop. (He is also an retired policeman too)

Pete (Wizard)  Has his own sea fishing fast launch runs out of Grimsby (Well two of them actually) oh yes and a canal boat too.  Plenty of Broads experience as well.    Pete knows the sea and how to respect it

And as for half the crew going down with sea sickness - Makes it sound like there were only two of us operating - It didn't happen like that, you will have to wait and see for my write up.  But if we had been down to just two of us, we could have carried on quite safely too.

So to the doom mongers and those so badly hurt because Robin did it his way and ignored their advice he never asked for (Mainly over on the YBW) I have a grown up response

:default_smiley-taunt014:

Griff

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

There is one point that a small few in here are missing.  The same point is being missed by a lot of more but not all of them there salty social sailors over on the YBW.  I have obviously kept up with this whole thread.  I have read the YBW thread from start to finish only today.  Now tell me I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will take great delight in doing so) but exactly where has Robin ASKED for advice then?

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't.  So how can some gloat / criticise when 'Their' advice has been ignored?  Can someone explain that one to me?  I do geddit when someone thinks their way / knowledge is paramount above everyone else's, posts up their holy advice - it gets ignored (As it was never asked for in the first place) - Result? said poster throws teddies because his god given holier than thow advice has been ignored!

Robin now and again does ask for advice, he tends to do that face to face and is a good listener.  What he is really good at though is doing his own research then making a decision on what he gleans from said research.  That's his way and it works for him.

What he has also done is have an idea, then a dream then turned it into an adventure, then the Captains Blogs and took the whole lot of us along for the ride FOC.  He has not done this for personal gain either monetary or fame, what with his camera gear it has probably cost him to do it.

(I know it cost me as I ran out of data and had to spend £15 to top it up to keep everyone updated whilst we were out at sea)

He has done it because    1) He wanted to and      2) he was capable of doing it.  I for one like the majority of forumites are pretty glad he did to.

So when the salty (And some fresh too) know-it-alls start banging on about how he has ignored their advice, just agree with the statement, don't rise to it like I have done and reply with just one question, it's a very easy question, it fact it has only just one word and it goes like this

AND?

And FWIW - Robin was never lucky with his crew.  It was planned that  way PPPPPP.

The crew - I can set that one straight too. Hand picked by yours truly

Myself - Well you should all know by now so not going to start banging on about my previous life or current quals.

Howard (Bro') - Chief Tiff but originally a MEM(L) that means marine engineer with heavy Electrics then qualified as a nuclear watchkeeper on Polaris then Trident propulsion / generation etc 24 Yrs in the RN. Experience on FPB's 54 years as a Broads sailor, 11 of which owning 'B.A'  A red hot navigator although not officially qualified

Brian - 27 years as a Crabfat, only experience at sea is fishing trips and the Indy trip, but plenty of Broads experience.  However being ex-military knows how to step up to the plate in the face of adversity and when instructed to do a task, does just that and won't stop. (He is also an retired policeman too)

Pete (Wizard)  Has his own sea fishing fast launch runs out of Grimsby (Well two of them actually) oh yes and a canal boat too.  Plenty of Broads experience as well.    Pete knows the sea and how to respect it

And as for half the crew going down with sea sickness - Makes it sound like there were only two of us operating - It didn't happen like that, you will have to wait and see for my write up.  But if we had been down to just two of us, we could have carried on quite safely too.

So to the doom mongers and those so badly hurt because Robin did it his way and ignored their advice he never asked for (Mainly over on the YBW) I have a grown up response

:default_smiley-taunt014:

Griff

Griff can we steer clear of getting into a argument or what ever about a thread Robin started himself on another forum , as far as I know apart from Robin there is only one member of that forum who is a member here so therefore its a very unbalanced debate or what ever which has been demonstrated tonight .

Regarding asking advice I haven't read the entire thread there do I can't judge but he certainly has here a couple of times on I remember distinctly was asking about running a matrix heater off the engine cooling circuit to heat the saloon while underway , looking back lots of people gave advice without being asked in the early days of this thread including a fair few who are busy criticising others of late , that advice stream  has all  but dryed up now , in fact you yourself gave advice regarding the first electricity bill and tackling the marina which incidentally mirrored mine too .

Tonight has not been this forums finest hr  in fact it got to the stage I went elsewhere to be honest as there is more to life than point scoring on one individual who at the beginning asked for feedback from those involved on the last sea leg of that trip .

That was more like bullying than discussion and reminded of somewhere else that employed those tactics to score points 

I don't believe anyone here has questioned the crews ability so all that could have been basically in a PM , but I will question one part of it and that's why on a Norfolk broads forum a derogatory naval term for a member of the RAF is being used , they are after all a group member of Her Majesty's armed forces and as such should be shown the respect they deserve on here , what happens in naval / ex naval  circles really doesn't have a place on a broads forum when it comes to derogatory names IMHO.