Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Robin  . . . . it's good to see you here . . . . . good to see you "home" again on the NBN Forum . . . . Thank you for your latest update with 'Independence' !!! . . . . .

I reckon I ain't the only one here with such sentiments and I certainly look forward to your official, "Captain's Blog" video update.

Thanks, in anticipation  . . . .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deebee29 said:

We’ve just noticed the link in the above post 

Please note the link in this post has been removed as it contravenes forum guidelines

Cross-forum links 

Due to a long-standing arrangement between forums, links to other Norfolk Broads forums will be automatically moderated by the forum software. Any links via URL-shortening services which ultimately resolve to such a site will also be removed.

Strange that the post was liked by a moderator really , still what ever  but you might want to edit Griff's post 5 posts later that carry's the same link which works .

Just back home from a weekend onboard Independence - lots to sort out, just begun to edit the Blog for this adventure, I am not sure I am happy about the footage I have captured but it is what it is, new camera, new mic set-up bound to be teething problems.

I am not regretting buying Independence, but sometimes I can share a little too much 'in the moment' and people hang on to everything I have said as if gospel, but actually half an hour later I am back to myself. I will say this, there is not the emotional bond and feeling I thought I might have to the boat, she is lovely but she is a real social boat and you need that element of people onboard and being part of the experience - even if just a cruise down the river - without it it is a very large space and can be a little overwhelming when their are only two of you and having to literally shout out from the back cabin tot he front to be heard.

As to YBW people take it all too seriously I am going to deal with that as well but that really is just the side show and keeps me interested reading peoples latest opinions about stabilisers and risks.
When we first got our boat, I completely fell out of love with it. I shed blood on it, the dam thing wouldn't go in a straight line, it was hell! Now after a year I still hate it....no, l love it. It gained us a foot hold in Norfolk and we moved here! Best thing we've done.
Good luck to you Robin, I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well the way I see it Robin, and I'm not sure I can really explain it that well, you share things because that's the way you are. It's something you enjoy doing and I'm sure many many people enjoy what you do without being judgemental. You're like an unedited TV programme which happens to be better than most edited TV programmes. The fact you're willing to share makes you a sociable person, enjoying others company and the interaction that brings. Indy will be a social boat because you are on it with your welcoming attitude, and I'm sure you'll come to love it.

I was in Brundall on Wednesday and walked over to Indy hoping you'd be there to say hello, I'll probably be there again next weekend and will have another go, I'll bring the wine. It seems you have that effect on people.

As far as YBW is concerned, I've read all that.  They treated you awfully at first and TBH (for most of them, not all) it seems like more of a willy waving contest over there.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Just back home from a weekend onboard Independence - lots to sort out, just begun to edit the Blog for this adventure, I am not sure I am happy about the footage I have captured but it is what it is, new camera, new mic set-up bound to be teething problems.

I am not regretting buying Independence, but sometimes I can share a little too much 'in the moment' and people hang on to everything I have said as if gospel, but actually half an hour later I am back to myself. I will say this, there is not the emotional bond and feeling I thought I might have to the boat, she is lovely but she is a real social boat and you need that element of people onboard and being part of the experience - even if just a cruise down the river - without it it is a very large space and can be a little overwhelming when their are only two of you and having to literally shout out from the back cabin tot he front to be heard.

As to YBW people take it all too seriously I am going to deal with that as well but that really is just the side show and keeps me interested reading peoples latest opinions about stabilisers and risks.

She truly is a lovely boat and you should be hugely proud to be her current responsible adult :default_biggrin:

I have no doubt whatsoever that you will settle in with her in no time, you and Indy have already had an amazing experience together which many will never have. If she continues to give you that social vibe, I'm sure you will not be short of very willing guests! 

Relax, take your time and soak it all in- above all, enjoy! You have a lovely summer season to look forward to with Indy (with many more to come) and those friends you choose to share her with. 

:default_winko:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Well the way I see it Robin, and I'm not sure I can really explain it that well, you share things because that's the way you are. It's something you enjoy doing and I'm sure many many people enjoy what you do without being judgemental. You're like an unedited TV programme which happens to be better than most edited TV programmes. The fact you're willing to share makes you a sociable person, enjoying others company and the interaction that brings. Indy will be a social boat because you are on it with your welcoming attitude, and I'm sure you'll come to love it.

I was in Brundall on Wednesday and walked over to Indy hoping you'd be there to say hello, I'll probably be there again next weekend and will have another go, I'll bring the wine. It seems you have that effect on people.

As far as YBW is concerned, I've read all that.  They treated you awfully at first and TBH (for most of them, not all) it seems like more of a willy waving contest over there.

Good post and very true.

Robin, anyone that's treats an affable guy like you badly is just jealous, simple as that and not worth the time of day, leave them to rot in their own sad self indulgent lives.

The amount of people that subscribe to the captains blog must speak volumes.

The amount of new posters that signed up because you were sharing a story with a new boat and crew moving a boat halfway round Britain also says something.

Your a personality Robin and a likeable one at that.

now get that captains head on and start enjoying yourself again, were are all behind you 100%

sermon over 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me for rocking the boat - oh no! what a pun!

I don't see the problem with this, could you explain more please? We can link to newspapers, trade magazines and websites, manufacturers of equipment, but not to an offshore boating forum?

Good point ! 

15 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

I can understand those that want to discuss the moderation of Mr B post

But would it be a good idea to start a new thread on the subject

Ray

Why its relative to this thread and subject.

23 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

"As far as YBW is concerned, I've read all that.  They treated you awfully at first and TBH (for most of them, not all) it seems like more of a willy waving contest over there."

Not at all "willy waving". Many of the people who gave advice on that thread  know the Traders downfalls, it rolls heavily and is a better boat with stabs. Robin chose to ignore that which is cool, it's his boat.He said he likes it to roll. Many of the people who questioned his choice to set sail in such bad weather with a "new boat to him" have YM offshore endorsements but that's ok too, as he was in charge. However, that led to him having a anxiety attack (yes it is that) where his body shut down and he could no longer be in charge. He was lucky he had a crew that could handle the conditions HE put them in !!  I guess it will be a good blog though. Cup of tea anyone?

2 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

I come onto to this thread to read about Indy

And the discussion about Indy has widened to another source where we are seeing interesting contributions on the same subject but perhaps from a different (and dare I say experienced) viewpoint, which includes lengthy contributions from some of our own members.

I am simply asking why this has to be censored?

• Thanks 2

Mr B, I'm not convinced that it was Robin that put his crew into those conditions, I'd put it down to the force of circumstance. As for stabilisers, not everyone's choice. Granted that they can and do help in many conditions but not everyone enjoys the ride. I have no experience with the Trader on this one but I do onboard other boats. I would never say never, but I have sometimes found the motion of a stabilised boat in the short seas that we have on the East Coast to be unpleasant. Got to be a consideration though, but not one to be rushed into, in my opinion, something else to go wrong! What say others?.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrB said:

Not at all "willy waving". Many of the people who gave advice on that thread  know the Traders downfalls, it rolls heavily and is a better boat with stabs. Robin chose to ignore that which is cool, it's his boat.He said he likes it to roll. Many of the people who questioned his choice to set sail in such bad weather with a "new boat to him" have YM offshore endorsements Robin chose to ignore that which is cool However, that led to him having a anxiety attack (yes it is that) where his body shut down and he could no longer be in charge. He was lucky he had a crew that could handle the conditions HE put them in !!  I guess it will be a good blog though. Cup of tea anyone?

I'll have a cup, NATO standard.

I'm not sure you realise the irony in your post.

You said...."Robin chose to ignore that which is cool"....so why bother mentioning it?

You then said (again)..."Robin chose to ignore that which is cool"...so why bother saying it?

There is no proof that any of his decisions led to his anxiety attack.

AFAIK he was never in charge and wasn't lucky with his crew.

FWIW I had you down as one of the few not the many.

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Mr B, I'm not convinced that it was Robin that put his crew into those conditions, I'd put it down to the force of circumstance.

It's his boat, he owns it and insures it. He was on board so the final decision is with him in a legal sense.