Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

A long time ago on this thread before everyone starting crying their eyes out about absolutely nothing at all some guy called Robin was talking about a boat called Independence. 

I wonder what ever happened to the 2 of them.

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I take it you know what a dictionary is look it up !

And yes a touch of a forceful remark but look at your own post and you will see why I responded like that ! 

I, on the other hand, was totally unaware of the terms used, their meaning or when and whom used them.

Thanks, to this thread, I now know a liitle more.

Another small window on a life that I have no knowledge of.

So it's a thanks from me.

• Like 4

I am saddened to see how this thread has gone. Good advice sometimes only looks good after the event. The team got Independence to Gt Yarmouth, they did not have to call lifeboats  or any other rescue service. No one was hurt and they did a very good job. I for one have too many times taken good advice and missed out on some fantastic adventures, so come on forum lets get back to enjoying our boats, I only get 1 trip a year but loads of you could go out right now. My advice (which you may ignore) enjoy today, yesterdays gone and tomorrow is always uncertain.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps, but giving Robin a chance, the benefit of the doubt, would do you considerable credit. 

Hang on that works both ways , I didn't see any credit given for knowledge of sea passages etc all I saw was systematic bullying of one person by some that have never been on the sea In thier own boat .

I'm not defending anyone here but this was far from one-sided .

6 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Hang on that works both ways , I didn't see any credit given for knowledge of sea passages etc all I saw was systematic bullying of one person by some that have never been on the sea In thier own boat .

10 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I, on the other hand, was totally unaware of the terms used, their meaning or when and whom used them.

Thanks, to this thread, I now know a liitle more.

Another small window on a life that I have no knowledge of.

So it's a thanks from me.

Me too. I love learning new things and seeing these names that these forces guys have for each other really makes me chuckle. So much better than the names we girls start calling each other! :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

Crabfat, pongo, fish head and many other nicknames for various branches of the military are not derogatory at all, maybe it’s difficult for folks that have never experienced the camaraderie of a military career to understand but they are almost terms of endearment amongst those that have served.

This is a broads forum what part of that don't you understand !

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Blimey I had written something very profound here but it has disappeared?

Some members on here have made "real life" friendships.

When a newbie rocks up and appears to criticise said friend the it is only natural to defend your friend.

Any self announced skill/experience I discard until enough relevant posts have been made to substantiate said claims.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smellyloo said:

Blimey I had written something very profound here but it has disappeared?

Some members on here have made "real life" friendships.

When a newbie rocks up and appears to criticise said friend the it is only natural to defend your friend.

Any self announced skill/experience I discard until enough relevant posts have been made to substantiate said claims.

Agreed but for the fact bullying is harassment and in the TOS .

Incidentally the newbe actually was requesting a write up of the last sea nothing else .

Just now, Ricardo said:

Agreed but for the fact bullying is harassment and in the TOS .

Incidentally the newbe actually was requesting a write up of the last sea nothing else .

As is being insulting and confrontational to other members. Perhaps a look closer to home first?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

As is being insulting and confrontational to other members. Perhaps a look closer to home first?

I take it disagreeing with a point of view also comes under that heading to some , the moment someone doesn't agree the screams of confrontation appear .

5 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

Yes Ricardo, it’s a broads forum with many thread subjects to look at, this thread is about Robins adventures on getting to know his boat, I for one would like it to be just that in stead of it drifting into silly nit picking discussions about military slang.

pleas folks let’s leave this thread to its title matter, it would be more interesting for everyone.

I'll agree with that , it is not not picking its a different point of view as in I see no need for the said reference's .

Quite honestly I have found MrB’s input interesting and reading the YBW thread has been an eye-opener. Some of the posters do come across as rather arrogant and ‘know-it-all’ but that’s the problem with the written word as we well know, nothing can beat face to face conversation. 

I’m not sure why Ricardo is getting so over-heated about the nicknames being used. Is anybody else upset by it?

• Like 4

Quite honestly I have found MrB’s input interesting and reading the YBW thread has been an eye-opener. Some of the posters do come across as rather arrogant and ‘know-it-all’ but that’s the problem with the written word as we well know, nothing can beat face to face conversation. 
I’m not sure why Ricardo is getting so over-heated about the nicknames being used. Is anybody else upset by it?

I agree. I like to see different sides of a debate. Ok, perhaps MrB’s comments could have been put over better or maybe they just seemed critical when alongside all the gushing (joke!) but still an interesting slant on the subject IMO.
I’m not ex forces but have a lot of friends who are (from all arms) and I know they wouldn’t take offence to those terms as they’re exactly the sort of thing they call each other all the time in a good natured banter way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

I take it disagreeing with a point of view also comes under that heading to some , the moment someone doesn't agree the screams of confrontation appear .

MOD HAT OFF

Ricardo thats rather a brash statement. Without disagreements, this forum would make at most times rather boring reading. But when confrontation does appear it is dealt with by the moderation team, who do a good job under quite difficult circumstances at times.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

MOD HAT OFF

Ricardo thats rather a brash statement. Without disagreements, this forum would make at most times rather boring reading. But when confrontation does appear it is dealt with by the moderation team, who do a good job under quite difficult circumstances at times.

Charlie so was the comments I was referring too where indeed there was actually an posable accusation I hardly this k my comments was any different to that at all other than I didn't suggest someone needed to look closer to home .

41 minutes ago, vanessan said:

If you read what I said I wasn't I merely stated that it was not relivent on a broads forum and that someone else might see the term in a bad light .

MOD HAT OFF

Sadly there are so many comments that I could have made my feeling knows on, yours was the last one i read. That wasnt a personnel dig or any thing at you.  I could go on and on. But look at it this way me old mate, is this all the forum has to discuss, lets all get positive the daffs are out along with snow drops spring is all but here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3