Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Wow! Can't believe how many pages have been added to this topic overnight!

Looking forward to Robin's next blogs, when he has time to sort them out, and to hearing more from Griff when he feels the time is right.

I wish Robin the very best with Independence now safely in Brundall and with all the many other life decisions that he is making just now. Hoping that I might be at my caravan and catch sight of your fine boat coming in or out of Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth one day. :default_icon_wave:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

a derogatory naval term for a member of the RAF is being used , they are after all a group member of Her Majesty's armed forces and as such should be shown the respect they deserve on here 

Just on a point of detail, the term Crab-fat goes back to the birth of the Royal Air Force in 1918 and is considered a tradition, not an insult.

The forces all have nicknames for each other. It is just service rivalry.

Speaking as a Pongo - or Brown Job - from a regiment of Donkey Wallopers that used to be called the R.A.S.C. (Run Away Someone's Coming), I have never met a Crab who objected to the name. Nor a Bootneck, for that matter. Not sure about the Rock Apes - I don't think you'd dare say that to one of them, especially not at midnight, up the Gut in Malta!

One is never rude about the Grey Funnel Line though. They are the Senior Service!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

, but I will question one part of it and that's why on a Norfolk broads forum a derogatory naval term for a member of the RAF is being used , they are after all a group member of Her Majesty's armed forces and as such should be shown the respect they deserve on here , what happens in naval / ex naval  circles really doesn't have a place on a broads forum when it comes to derogatory names IMHO.

Ricardo, Hi.

Don't worry on our behalf, please, we're quite used to Fish-heads and Pongos having a gentle dig at the youngest service!

John

(ex HMFC Buccaneer driver)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, MrB said:

You sound like a person that likes the last word and happy that Robin had a few problems, why? Because he didn't listen to a few knowitalls?

The crew that Robin had assembled was more than enough to cope with anything that came up and so it was proved, Griff has spent years at sea as he has told us.

yes Robin had a wobbler, the decision was to put him ashore, they could've tied up there and waited but they chose not to, they had the expierience to make that call.

no one was harmed, the boat delivered, I think that's the problem you've got and fwiw I think it's a bitter and twisted mind 

jealousy gets you nowhere

apologies if I've upset anyone else 

rant over

• Like 1

Ricardo, you suggest that last night was not the Forum's finest hour because the debate was unbalanced and effectively resulted in bullying. Maybe, maybe not, obviously I don't agree because I felt that one visiting individual was out of order and, to be honest,  the response was deserved. Enough said, that was yesterday, time to move on. Hopefully all behind us now, friends again.

• Like 4

I take it that means that it doesn't matter ? My point was this is a forum that is broads based and I don't see the point in naval slang for a start some won't understand it and it's hardly required in text so why not use the correct term in the first place , I wasn't worried about incidentally but iam concern that it could offend 

1 hour ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Ricardo, Hi.

Don't worry on our behalf, please, we're quite used to Fish-heads and Pongos having a gentle dig at the youngest service!

John

1 hour ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Ricardo, Hi.

John

Clearly my point was missed which was its not relivent on a broads related forum , I'm not worried about it other than it might one day offend someone for no good reason what so ever and that others may not know what it refers to I do incidentally , what does concern me is if a member brings up a point its dismissed immediately for not exactly good reasoning seemingly by mostly those that have served in the force's  , so be it please feel free to continue , I had a point and I made it , but I was sure there was something in TOS relating to offending others with choice of words and because it doesn't offend some doesn't mean it doesn't offen others .

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Just on a point of detail, the term Crab-fat goes back to the birth of the Royal Air Force in 1918 and is considered a tradition, not an insult.

The forces all have nicknames for each other. It is just service rivalry.

Speaking as a Pongo - or Brown Job - from a regiment of Donkey Wallopers that used to be called the R.A.S.C. (Run Away Someone's Coming), I have never met a Crab who objected to the name. Nor a Bootneck, for that matter. Not sure about the Rock Apes - I don't think you'd dare say that to one of them, especially not at midnight, up the Gut in Malta!

One is never rude about the Grey Funnel Line though. They are the Senior Service!

Yes I know that Vaughan but this is a broads forum not the ex servicemen's club house , how can it be relevant to the topic or content of the post ? 

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Yes I know that Vaughan but this is a broads forum not the ex servicemen's club house , how can it be relevant to the topic or content of the post ? 

Well since you ask, I think it is relevant, since Griff was replying to implied criticism of his crew and was pointing out that two of them were RN and another was RAF, all with special skills and experience to offer.

As to the nicknames, they are surely just indicative of a keen sense of humour, aren't they?

• Like 7

Some sense in what you say, Ricardo, but banter between the services is as old as Noah himself!

As for using terms or language that others don't or won't understand, common courtesy suggests that our threads should be all inclusive but it is as much a boating as it is a Broads forum. Inevitably there will be boating terms that are a puzzle to some whilst being in everyday use by others. To a degree I think that if someone is unfamiliar with a term such as starboard then Google is a good friend, on the other hand if the term was the now rarely used 'larboard' then I'd suggest that an explanation should be offered. For example 'larboard', still in use when I was a kid, is/was boat talk for the left side of a boat when looking towards the front! All a question of degree as well as courtesy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well since you ask, I think it is relevant, since Griff was replying to implied criticism of his crew and was pointing out that two of them were RN and another was RAF, all with special skills and experience to offer.

As to the nicknames, they are surely just indicative of a keen sense of humour, aren't they?

Not in his original post he wasn't which is where the term was frst used before even setting off I believe , that post was hardly defending a one , if a crew member has been picked because of certain skills then I see no reason to use a derogatory term to describe his role in the armed services its not relivent he's not in that environment nor is this forum , yes nicknames can be humour but they can also be insulting too .

I've missed the blow-up on here over the last few days, and don't want to get involved in the ins and outs of it. But for what it's worth, if I were going offshore, I'd like people with me who were experienced in that area. That's EXACTLY who Robin went to sea with. There's no shame in admitting others are more experienced at some things than you, so why can't some people accept that they don't always know everything?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

For example 'larboard', still in use when I was a kid, is/was boat talk for the left side of a boat when looking towards the front!

Since starboard was always the side for the steering board or steering oar, in the days before ships had rudders.

10 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I get why stabilizers are not on Robins list,  when used,  Indy will be on the Broads with a few fair weather trips to sea.  For his planned use they are a waste of money.

Robin was never advised to retro-fit stabs to his boat (£70k), he was advised to hold out and buy one that had them as they make it a much better boat! That was from people who have owned them or been on them unlike Robin. He knows better though.  As you say, the only time that boat will see the sea again is when he sells it so it's all irrelevant.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MrB said:

Robin was never advised to retro-fit stabs to his boat (£70k), he was advised to hold out and buy one that had them as they make it a much better boat! That was from people who have owned them or been on them unlike Robin. He knows better though.  As you say, the only time that boat will see the sea again is when he sells it so it's all irrelevant.

Please, Mr B, there is positively no need for continuing in this vain, especially that last sentence. Personally I welcome your input, in general, but that sour unpleasantness was uncalled for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Please, Mr B, there is positively no need for continuing in this vain, especially that last sentence. Personally I welcome your input, in general, but that sour unpleasantness was uncalled for. 

How unpleasant. I was just setting the record straight as everything on here is a little one sided and viewed through rose tinted glasses. 

8 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ricardo, no matter how much you harp on about the term ‘Crabfat’ it is not derogatory. If you insist on trying to re-write history and make it a derogatory term then fill your boots.  You will be knocking your mapper against a bulkhead for a good while yet

Griff

I take it you know what a dictionary is look it up !

And yes a touch of a forceful remark but look at your own post and you will see why I responded like that ! 

Your clearly another that missed the point of the fact this is a broads forum not the ex service men's club house there are plenty of other ex navy members who realise that fact.