What Think You?

MauriceMynah

I occasionally take a look at "The other place" just to keep an eye, and very occasionally see something that I think warrants discussion here. This link is to an EDP article that I feel qualifies.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/norfolk-wildlife-trsut-the-broads-nature-1-5382241

I have my own views but will for the moment refrain from comment.  Well ladies and gentlemen, What think you.?

To be honest, John, it's old news, especially in regard to Hickling and the Trinity Broads. The Trinity is something of a mystery, apparently, because it is a source of drinking water for which the water is ideal, but weed growth is not considered sufficient for whatever reason, despite what the article says. Hickling, on the other hand, often has an unfortunate level of growth. I understand that, at last, Hickling's problem is down to a lack of flow, hence the previous reluctance to dredge being reversed, thankfully. Just annoying that the dredging is all being charged to the navigation account when clearly conservation benefits too and probably substantially so. Anyway, that's another issue. Good article, in my opinion, highlights the fact that there is still much to be learned about the Broads, that even after 25 years of the Authority there is still much to do. I suspect that in another 25 we shall still be learning. Fortunate that we have the NWT,  wise bods with no heads buried in the sand, gets my :91_thumbsup:, so long as weed cutting is allowed!

• Like 2

That's not how I read it Peter, I saw it much more as "Nice water with all the dickybirds one could want and wonderful plant life where no boats go but stinking sludge totally devoid of life barring deadly slime growth where reluctantly we allow boating to exist."

Ok, an exaggeration I admit, but that's how I read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was there any need to bring boating into the article? Having had plenty of dealings with local authorities this seems like the kind of tactic employed to sow the seeds for unpopular change. The people affected won't be able to say "we didn't know anything about it"

I also learnt a new word "Turbid" :default_coat:

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to your way of thinking, John, but thankfully, and I say this with some sincerity, NWT is not the BA. The environment that we boat in and on is important. Many NWT members are also boating folk and are seemingly realistic and wise enough to work together. Left to the Authority then yes, I have my reservations. I think of conservationists such as Martin George, Ted Ellis and the previous BA CEO, Aitken Clark, all of which proved that both sides can work hand in hand for the very broad cathedral that is the Broads.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think it’s well written and well thought out.
It doesn’t point the finger. I think if it had it would be pointing at farming rather than boating.
I very much like that whilst their main focus is wildlife (it is a wildlife trust after all) they’re also considering other users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with both MM and JM's viewpoints.

Personally after my holidays last year I think water quality on the rivers is already 10 times better than it was in the 70s. Admittedly I didn't go up to Hickling.

I also suggest that an article on an ecological subject such as this is not an appropriate place to call it the Broads National Park. Nothing to do with marketing.

• Like 1

An interesting article and one that Is open to debate,  speaking only from my own practical experience and with no great claim to expert knowledge and generally regarding the Northern side I would say there is more weed now than at any time during the last 30 plus years, the streamer weed that is on the Bure now extends well down below Wroxham Broad, water lily growth is quite extensive both the bottle and white varieties, when fishing I have frequently hooked or got caught up in weed as far down as Acle, also on the Ant and at Potter on the Thurne, it would perhaps be more helpful if the report was more species specific as I am sure based on other waterways  habitat is just as relevant as water quality including salinity, most aquatic life depends on weed to a greater or lesser extent and given the abundance of fish which rely on invertebrates which in turn rely on vegetation I wouldn`t have thought there was to great a problem other than possibly the state of the riverbed.

Fred

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I occasionally take a look at "The other place" just to keep an eye, and very occasionally see something that I think warrants discussion here. This link is to an EDP article that I feel qualifies.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/norfolk-wildlife-trsut-the-broads-nature-1-5382241

I have my own views but will for the moment refrain from comment.  Well ladies and gentlemen, What think you.?

I found it an informative and interesting article, John, and I fully agree with JohnK's post above. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just had a rare look at the 'other side', so far no replies to the topic of the EDP's article, not even from the 'usual suspects'.  Not sure that that has any great relevance to the subject but there we go. Perhaps there are no ladies and gentlemen there to discuss the matter! :10_wink:

Maybe they have  slept in :15_yum:

To me the article is just a piece of Self Puff, trying to boost their own self importance, when in reality Hicking Broad has survived as it is because of circumstances (mostly Potter heighham bridge) not because they were involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

To me the article is just a piece of Self Puff, trying to boost their own self importance, when in reality Hicking Broad has survived as it is because of circumstances (mostly Potter heighham bridge) not because they were involved.

True, but there are those that think that Hickling  is deteriorating, perhaps they are right. Got to admit that I tend to trust the NWT plus it is their broad!

OK, while I'm on my "Grumpy old man" kick, did anyone here see a Birdseye ad for fish fingers where the captain states that there is nothing better on a hot day than jumping into cold water. the footage then cuts to the captain and a kid jumping off the boat into the sea?

I was going to start a thread on this but found out that the ad has been pulled after complaints..

So! Which advertising company thought that was a good idea??????

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

True, but there are those that think that Hickling  is deteriorating, perhaps they are right. Got to admit that I tend to trust the NWT plus it is their broad!

With our rights of way through it...

• Like 1