Having The Right Tackle

Simon

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

In my 'boat kit' the essential items I keep to hand are:

• A 'cigarette lighter' USB charger for my phone
  • A suitable App on my phone for GPS speed (or a stand alone GPS unit)
  • Spare AA and AAA batteries
  • An LED head Torch and  LED Handheld Torch
  • Rubber fronted non-slip work gloves (great for rope handling and wet decks and grab rails)
  • Life Jacket
  • Binoculars
  • Tidal chart (Web based is always handy as can save link to your phones home screen )
  • Paper base map - they often have handy information to shore based amenities too

When it comes to boat centric stuff that's all down o personal choice what you may like to do is have some spliced dock lines made up so your nice decent lines can be stowed and the shorted dock lines take all the weather and are left behind when you leave the mooring. Some also do the same with fenders only keeping the nice ones for when out and about on the rivers to keep them looking smarter.

Consider having a second mud weight if you like to fish as this can hold you in a spot easier in light wind conditions - I;d not recommend this for overnight moorings or where wind speeds may increase as the boat cannot move with current and wind.

Avoid tall stem wine glasses, nice as they are you can bet your boots they will get broken on a boat. Stubby thicker based glasses tend to weather boating and BBQ'S better in my experience

That's a good list, thanks

never thought about keeping my better mooring ropes and fenders for use only when away from my home marina, I like that idea.

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

In my 'boat kit' the essential items I keep to hand are:

• A 'cigarette lighter' USB charger for my phone
  • A suitable App on my phone for GPS speed (or a stand alone GPS unit)
  • Spare AA and AAA batteries
  • An LED head Torch and  LED Handheld Torch
  • Rubber fronted non-slip work gloves (great for rope handling and wet decks and grab rails)
  • Life Jacket
  • Binoculars
  • Tidal chart (Web based is always handy as can save link to your phones home screen )
  • Paper base map - they often have handy information to shore based amenities too

When it comes to boat centric stuff that's all down o personal choice what you may like to do is have some spliced dock lines made up so your nice decent lines can be stowed and the shorted dock lines take all the weather and are left behind when you leave the mooring. Some also do the same with fenders only keeping the nice ones for when out and about on the rivers to keep them looking smarter.

Consider having a second mud weight if you like to fish as this can hold you in a spot easier in light wind conditions - I;d not recommend this for overnight moorings or where wind speeds may increase as the boat cannot move with current and wind.

Avoid tall stem wine glasses, nice as they are you can bet your boots they will get broken on a boat. Stubby thicker based glasses tend to weather boating and BBQ'S better in my experience

And there`s me thinking boating is about getting back to basics and enjoying the environment, technology is fine at home on the boat fishing tackle, binoculars and a few bottles covers the basics.

Fred

• Like 2

And there`s me thinking boating is about getting back to basics and enjoying the environment, technology is fine at home on the boat fishing tackle, binoculars and a few bottles covers the basics.
Fred

Not for me.
I treat boats as toys and thoroughly enjoy fitting every bit of technology I can.
I’m not claiming I’ve got any answers, just saying what I enjoy.
  • Like 3

All this tech stuff makes me laugh especially when most folk on a nice summers evening cook on the moats rudimentary of devices ie a BBQ , n there ain't no tech in BBQs .

Back to basics relax and enjoy n no worry's its what the broads are famous for , nice wild moorings n leave the electric points for those who have to charge up their tech n have a boat that has to perform like a house .

Each to their own, for me a boat is a means to an end not the end itself.
Fred

Me too. It’s just that my means to an end is something to bolt stuff to
To be fair I love the nature side of boating here, the not dealing with work issues etc. I just love the technology too.
I don’t think it has to be one or the other.
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I'm sorry to say even this most basic of cooking methods has gone 'smart'...

IMG_0207-0-550x411.jpg

I'd like to see you get that contraption on a boat + gas BBQs ain't proper BBQs in my book .

Tech doesn't mean better it generally just means easier or more convenient that's all , sure yiu can get a kettle that will boil when you send it a text  but you still have to put water in it .

Machine's obviously can and have been for a long time be set to start at a set time and I'll guarantee that everyone that's used that technology has been let down by it at least once .

Interesting how the concept of technology has changed.
A few years ago an engine, lights, electric bilge pumps, tv, fridge, cooker and electric hookup would have been considered new technology.
But now people with all of those things and more talk about going back to basics

John, I agree with you in principle but also suggest that there is a minor difference between toys and necessities! Mind you, one man's perception of toy might vary from another's! 

Haha, indeed. It’s an interesting moving line.
See new technology. Want new toy. Explain to wife it’s a necessity.
Ironically over time it becomes a necessity. As you lose the skills to manage without it (I don’t consider this a bad thing as long as the technology is reliable).

My mantra is “he who dies with the most toys wins”

I don't know if they've still got them, but LA Thams did a nice line in glass decanters, with tripple rubber (clear) seals.

Which stops the angels getting more than their fair share. Stays in if knocked over, and more to the point are cheap... I bought half a dozen, 3 for on board, three for holding volatile modelling liquids.

If your motor boat has shore power, a long extension lead with the correct connections. If it's on a drum, make sure it's rated at full power still on the drum..

If the above applies, a supply of BA electricity cards.

16 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A bucket is a must on a Broads boat, ideal for bailing, putting muddy shoes in, sea-anchor if you break down on Breydon, slops, privy, washing up, cleaning vegetables,  camping stool for piles sufferers, shopping basket, marsh mushroom picking, swilling the decks, dyke dydling, collecting fish and crabs in, gathering sloes and blackberries. scrumping, sea-sickness, dirty nappies and sanitary pads and eventually and finally kicking. 

I'd prefer it if you have two buckets,  one clean, one dirty.  Sloes and blackberries in the clean one. nappies in the other,..

The talk of buckets earlier reminded me that Aldi sometimes sells collapsible buckets and bowls. I’m sure they’re available in camping shops too. I was a bit sceptical at first but tried one and they are great for boating. You could even have TWO as they take up so little room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I don't know if they've still got them, but LA Thams did a nice line in glass decanters, with tripple rubber (clear) seals.

Which stops the angels getting more than their fair share. Stays in if knocked over, and more to the point are cheap... I bought half a dozen, 3 for on board, three for holding volatile modelling liquids.

If your motor boat has shore power, a long extension lead with the correct connections. If it's on a drum, make sure it's rated at full power still on the drum..

If the above applies, a supply of BA electricity cards.

If the cable is on a drum always fully unwind it to prevent it from overheating.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnK said:

Haha, indeed. It’s an interesting moving line.
See new technology. Want new toy. Explain to wife it’s a necessity.
Ironically over time it becomes a necessity. As you lose the skills to manage without it (I don’t consider this a bad thing as long as the technology is reliable).

My mantra is “he who dies with the most toys wins” emoji57.png

You can generally justify buying stuff "you need" with "man maths"

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

If the cable is on a drum always fully unwind it to prevent it from overheating.

Regards

Alan

A good quality drum cable extesion will have two ratings on it, wound up and unwound. Mine is fully rated for 13amps on the drum.

11 hours ago, vanessan said:

The talk of buckets earlier reminded me that Aldi sometimes sells collapsible buckets and bowls. I’m sure they’re available in camping shops too. I was a bit sceptical at first but tried one and they are great for boating. You could even have TWO as they take up so little room. 

Aldi have their bowls and buckets on the online special buys this week.