Brooms

Interesting that brooms suddenly state they are giving up boat building and within a week or so the decide to charge for water and put diesel up by 10p a liter to £1.25 , sceptical as I am its possibly part of the great master plan , not bothered about the water at least its filtered there but asking you to put coins in the provide box ( which doesn't exist ) is pretty silly given that most including me use cards , when they knock off at 4 pm n it was only 4.10pm how do. You put cash into something that doesn't exist n this is from 24 /3 not today , diesel wise there are dozens of yards that will benefit from my custom from now on including good child's where it £1 a litre which is a,significant saving given the size of the tanks in most boats around brundall , oh n anyone who moor's there thinking I get discount being a berth holder well that's just been wiped out virtually , thin end of the wedge ???? Possibly ! 

And I wanted to take Indy round to top up her tanks in the summer - if I do that is going to be a costly 'top up'. Hmm Goodchilds is looking increasingly like a better idea especially now I have been down the New Cut at high water and find there would be plenty of water under Indy to get there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Interesting that brooms suddenly state they are giving up boat building and within a week or so the decide to charge for water and put diesel up by 10p a liter to £1.25 , sceptical as I am its possibly part of the great master plan , not bothered about the water at least its filtered there but asking you to put coins in the provide box ( which doesn't exist ) is pretty silly given that most including me use cards , when they knock off at 4 pm n it was only 4.10pm how do. You put cash into something that doesn't exist n this is from 24 /3 not today , diesel wise there are dozens of yards that will benefit from my custom from now on including good child's where it £1 a litre which is a,significant saving given the size of the tanks in most boats around brundall , oh n anyone who moor's there thinking I get discount being a berth holder well that's just been wiped out virtually , thin end of the wedge ???? Possibly ! 

What about the 60/40 declaration for VAT?

22 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

And I wanted to take Indy round to top up her tanks in the summer - if I do that is going to be a costly 'top up'. Hmm Goodchilds is looking increasingly like a better idea especially now I have been down the New Cut at high water and find there would be plenty of water under Indy to get there.

I'd go down the yare I doubt you'll get under St olives bridge :15_yum:

13 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

What about the 60/40 declaration for VAT?

Well it makes mockery of the full price road fuel to be honest which is actually cheaper , all in all its a joke I doubt even big hire yards are pushing that price n it all adds to the cost of the holiday unfortunately .

nd I wanted to take Indy round to top up her tanks in the summer - if I do that is going to be a costly 'top up'. Hmm Goodchilds is looking increasingly like a better idea especially now I have been down the New Cut at high water and find there would be plenty of water under Indy to get there.

could you hit st olaves bridge really hard please ,so we can have a new one!!

• Haha 1

It has surprised me for a long time that Brooms has not charged for water fill-up, I can’t think of anywhere else on the Broads it’s free. Their fuel has always been above many other outlets but, of course, they are in a good position on the Yare to get passing trade. Have they increased their pump-out charge do you know Ricardo? 

3 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

99p at Boulters. £1.10 at Southgates that was 2 weeks ago - bit of a schlep from Brundall though :default_stinky:

Thanks. We will not be using Brooms if we can help it. Anyone been to the Waverney River Centre lately? That is the nearest to our moorings and is usually reasonable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It has surprised me for a long time that Brooms has not charged for water fill-up, I can’t think of anywhere else on the Broads it’s free. Their fuel has always been above many other outlets but, of course, they are in a good position on the Yare to get passing trade. Have they increased their pump-out charge do you know Ricardo? 

Maybe because there is a perception that Broom's customers are a lot more affluent than most of us. I have always liked the service at Brooms but they do tend to cater for the larger boat and more wealthy owner.

13 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Don't know about the pump out iv yet to experience that increase if there is one but it was always dam expensive compared to other places .

Actually a few yrs back brooms increased the price of diesel to £1.33  using the reason that the had a new accountant , my reply being " so have I and he says ,( ie me ) fill up elsewhere " amazingly it came down the next month :default_biggrin:.

Thing is if you are going to introduce a system then you need the fundamentals in place such as a coin box + what are they going to do in winter when the only water point is In a completely different area , maybe they will not bother with that which sees me moving location so they then miss out on all my costs , pump out , diesel, water , up to them but I really think they are alienating river user's at the moment , if your putting 1000 litres in the tanks of a biggish boat then a £250 saving is worth having and that's roughly what I'll use in a yr so stuff it I'll vote with my feet ( or boat :15_yum:)

27 minutes ago, socrates said:

Maybe because there is a perception that Broom's customers are a lot more affluent than most of us. I have always liked the service at Brooms but they do tend to cater for the larger boat and more wealthy owner.

Exactly but also with much larger water tanks and its the same if you put in 20L or 2000L , at least good child's is coin operated so can be used out of hrs and if you don't pay you get no water n everyone gets the same amount per £1

28 minutes ago, socrates said:

Been thinking about this , I'm not sure if it already exists but it would be a good idea to have a diesel, pump out price list , one that can be added to as the yr goes on and prices fluctuate , boating is expensive enough without paying more than you need to and as has been stated on here not all diesel is the same .

That said I should have looked to check the price of petrol at brooms but I'll guarantee its a fortune :44_frowning2:

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

we used to have a thread showing the current prices of all those things, maybe someone would like to start one.

Good idea but the problem is it will most likely need a bit of moderation , thing is it just needs prices etc obviously that includes things like if soltron added such as I believe Boulter's , same for blue for pump outs , just really needs a bit of common sense n just the essentials for reference .

4 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Good idea but the problem is it will most likely need a bit of moderation , thing is it just needs prices etc obviously that includes things like if soltron added such as I believe Boulter's , same for blue for pump outs , just really needs a bit of common sense n just the essentials for reference .

Maybe we could ask the retailers to respond,: how much, FAME free, incl Blue, Inc or excl 60/40  etc.

Hello Richard,

As Grendel said we had two different posts, one for fuel and one for pump out prices.  We pinned these files and amended the first page with the prices and the last known price with a date and I would suggest that we put them in general broads section.

If you can start to let me have locations for the Northern & Southern Rivers and current prices.

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Went past Swancraft yesterday.They are selling at 99p.Best to phone ahead.

After seeing that Swancraft does fuel, so today I gave them a call. Nice guy answered the phone. So Swancraft does fuel and pump out, but it is best to give them a call 01603 712326 to check if the guy is there. He said he is open Monday - Friday, but may be in on some Saturdays. 

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

oh n anyone who moor's there thinking I get discount being a berth holder well that's just been wiped out virtually , thin end of the wedge ???? Possibly ! 

Having just paid a years mooring upfront at Brooms, and being told about berth holders discounts this doesn't sound great news.

not arriving on the Broads until the 20th April

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

Having just paid a years mooring upfront at Brooms, and being told about berth holders discounts this doesn't sound great news.

not arriving on the Broads until the 20th April

I guess that you need to read  your new berthing agreement carefully.