Tube Heaters For The Winter

As the colder weather starts to set in, I’ve started to think about the best ways to make sure that our boat stays in tip top shape. The marina where she is moored offer winterisation options which we will be utilising, however up until we fully winterise at the end of “our season” we are looking at tube heaters. As first time boat owners, was wondering how much power they draw down when plugged in....ie how much ££ would we expect to have to put into the marina’s power towers if we were to say leave the boat for 2 weeks? We would be looking to have 2-3 tube heaters. Any advice from experience greatly appreciated as always! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

We have two 80w tube heaters installed via a thermostat set to +2c.  That is all we do for our winterisation each year, is switch them on around October to April.  Works for us and no real noticeable increase in elec costs over the winter months.  Being in a wetshed helps of course

Griff

Hi Sazzigin you wont need tube heaters until after the season say Jan/Feb just ventilation and conkers to drive away the spiders, so if you are winterizing at end of season you don't need anything just lots of ventilation to stop damp whilst on the hard standing,the heaters are only to stop water freezing up in the system ,winterizing will drain/remove all water that could freeze up,tube heaters wont stop damp.John

Hi Sazzigin you wont need tube heaters until after the season say Jan/Feb just ventilation and conkers to drive away the spiders, so if you are winterizing at end of season you don't need anything just lots of ventilation to stop damp whilst on the hard standing,the heaters are only to stop water freezing up in the system ,winterizing will drain/remove all water that could freeze up,tube heaters wont stop damp.John

Conkers??! Not heard of that before!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

On every boat I've owned I've been plagued with spiders and the mess they make, last week I put on one of these electric sonic devices that are meant to deter mice spiders and all sorts of creepy crawlies, went to the boat yesterday Saturday, 29 September and couldn't believe the transformation not one single spider, spoke to the chap moored next to me and was telling him how wonderful this device was and he said yes there are all of my Boat now, had to laugh, As for conkers they seem to work for a lot of people being in the carpet cleaning business I'm always having to remove them from the corner of rooms before cleaning and get told off if I don't put them back.

• Like 1

On every boat I've owned I've been plagued with spiders and the mess they make, last week I put on one of these electric sonic devices that are meant to deter mice spiders and all sorts of creepy crawlies, went to the boat yesterday Saturday, 29 September and couldn't believe the transformation not one single spider, spoke to the chap moored next to me and was telling him how wonderful this device was and he said yes there are all of my Boat now, had to laugh, As for conkers they seem to work for a lot of people being in the carpet cleaning business I'm always having to remove them from the corner of rooms before cleaning and get told off if I don't put them back.
What make was it, they are in for a sales boom.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

12 hours ago, eddybear said:

electric sonic devices that are meant to deter mice spiders and all sorts of creepy crawlies,

I thought of these but anyone know of issues with dogs? Don't want one sending him crazy. I'd put them in the garage.

I have critter sticky traps out of his reach but he can smell them and trys to get them.

We have four of them onboard 'B.A' two fwd and two aft.  Prior to that we were not infested but did get some.  We did however have a Rollland onboard for a weekend.  We managed to flush him out, the electronic repellers have kept all unwanted guests away since. When onboard we un-plug them and put them away.

Ref the dogs thing -   I have some similar devices at home in the garage and loft, the dogs seem fine with them.   As for which model to choose, just have a look on Amazon / Ebay and read the reviews.  Hope this helps,

Griff