Hi Everybody,

I have another question for all you boat owners out there, i think i may have found a boat that both me and more importantly the wife love, 1 major snag, all the places i have previously moored at, were all very competitively priced, but all under bridges that the possible new boat won't fit, i have moored at porter and haylett's old yard Wroxham now belong's to Landamores, paid around £35 per foot, and also moored at Wayford bridge similar monies, but the possible new purchase has air draught of 9'6" which means cant get under Ludham bridge and definately not Wroxham bridge.

So any ideas? may put in offer on boat if i can find decent priced moorings, i live near Stalham so not particulary bothered where the mooring is, have thought womack staithe may be worth looking at,

what do you guys think? your input would be much appreciated, and apart from ludham, wroxham, and beccles old bridge, are there any other down sides to a boat with that sort of height?

Thanks all mark.

As it may struggle to get under the Yarmouth bridges too, why not look on the S Rivers?? At least you will be able to go somewhere!!!  I must admit I am generally in favour of Broads boats for Broadland rivers (although Robin may feel differently! )

Womack staithe - the parishioners bit -  probably has a waiting list and you of course may well not be eligible living in Stalham

9 minutes ago, marshman said:

As it may struggle to get under the Yarmouth bridges too, why not look on the S Rivers?? At least you will be able to go somewhere!!!  I must admit I am generally in favour of Broads boats for Broadland rivers (although Robin may feel differently! )

Womack staithe - the parishioners bit -  probably has a waiting list and you of course may well not be eligible living in Stalham

hi i thought yarmouth bridges wouldn't be a problem at low tide? or am i mistaken?

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

With that airdraft you are better mooring on the southern rivers even if it means a bit of travelling to the boat.

yes i may agree with you, but would prefer it to be this side, i like the southern side, but would prefer this side if poss, i assume yarmouth bridges wouldn't be a problem at low water, hopefully!!

would have prefered proper broads boat, but in comparison seem really expensive and most really tired ex hire craft.

1 hour ago, mdblackburn said:

hi i thought yarmouth bridges wouldn't be a problem at low tide? or am i mistaken?

Hi Mark our air draft on Ranworth Breeze is 9 foot 8 inches we can get under the Yarmouth Bridges on certain tides but not all. we check out the tide tables for the height of the low water and are looking for a height of less than 0.14 metres.

Around a full moon is guaranteed a safe passage, travelling down river to Yarmouth if you can see 7 rungs of the ladders out of the water at the start of the yacht station mooring there is 10 foot at the bridges. 

Regards

Alan

I would say you have still got all the Broads apart from up river of PHB, Ludham, Wroxham, Beccles Old and possibly Norwich some of the time.  Can you live with that whilst you own this boat? That could be for years. Have a moment to ponder on this, then either go for it or keep looking

What about saving money, buy a tired cheaper boat. Use the money you have saved to ‘Make it Yours’

You then have a ‘Keeper’ that can utilise the whole of all the rivers 

Hope this helps but probably won’t!

Griff

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Mark our air draft on Ranworth Breeze is 9 foot 8 inches we can get under the Yarmouth Bridges on certain tides but not all. we check out the tide tables for the height of the low water and are looking for a height of less than 0.14 metres.

Around a full moon is guaranteed a safe passage, travelling down river to Yarmouth if you can see 7 rungs of the ladders out of the water at the start of the yacht station mooring there is 10 foot at the bridges. 

Regards

Alan

I very much doubt if there is anything anyone could add to that, it is such a comprehensive answer from ‘someone who knows’. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I would say you have still got all the Broads apart from up river of PHB, Ludham, Wroxham, Beccles Old and possibly Norwich some of the time.  Can you live with that whilst you own this boat? That could be for years. Have a moment to ponder on this, then either go for it or keep looking

What about saving money, buy a tired cheaper boat. Use the money you have saved to ‘Make it Yours’

You then have a ‘Keeper’ that can utilise the whole of all the rivers 

Hope this helps but probably won’t!

Griff

thanks great advice, already did the make it yours option, with a bounty 30, trouble is making it ours cost upwards of 20k, the boat we are looking at requires no work, if i can find a nice reasonably priced mooring i am going to make an offer, as i also think wroxham to norwich is a lot of river.

im thinking my wife loves the boat and i like it a lot so its probably a keeper, just going to let them sweat for a few days while i check out moorings, then put in an offer and keep fingers crossed.

thanks mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pumpmedic said:

There is a 30ft x 60ft water supply only mooring for sale @ £19k (think it was that) on the web, maybe St Olaves area, can`t remember now.

thanks, but i dont want to buy or should i say cant afford to as im buying a boat.

i also think i saw that and was restricted to a 27' boat as its stern on.

thanks anyway.