Semi Liveaboard

Cockatoo

On the insurance front we'd be ok because the BCE will be at home most of the time anyway. We'd just make him the policyholder :default_smile:

Sea capable? I would love it but I'm not sure about Debs. Mind you 3 years ago she didn't like the idea of a holiday on the Broads :default_smiley-char054:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One step closer........

As from next week I will be working for an agency in Norwich. Busy in the summer and Nov to Jan with a quiet couple of months until Easter, sounds perfect. I'll stay in Norwich during the week and then either return home at weekends or Debs will come up there if we have boats to look at.

It really feels like it is happening now :)

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Bu66er me I bought a boat lol

Not he one we are going to live on but just a project. Although I will be kipping on it while I'm working in Norwich. It's got a sink and a toilet, what more could you want?1559583658471.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, SteveDuk said:

Not he one we are going to live on but just a project. Although I will be kipping on it while I'm working in Norwich. It's got a sink and a toilet, what more could you want?1559583658471.jpeg

A seawych. Designed and built by John Saddler at Bicester who was a friend of mine. (Nothing to do with Sadler Yachts by Martin and his father David Sadler who by coincidence I also knew in my 70s Poole days when Rodney Patterson the double olympic gold sailor would do demos for them. I have built one from the kit and helped on a second build so know a bit about them. I think I posted about it under " My first boat with a lid". Good little boats but you need to return her to sail.

• Like 1

This was mine. The little chap holding on to the tie-down on the trailer is my son William he is 44! We actually cruised her as far as Chichester in the East and Brixham in the west before buying our Centaur and going both sides of the Channel.20180302_170751.thumb.jpg.9356897bef6ab9053097ec6f1ac18c14.jpg20180302_103613.thumb.jpg.8f9a0b16bd60f1c41c9bf619b2366bea.jpg20180302_171347.thumb.jpg.911f271de45cd02fafb580cef199d1cb.jpg20180302_170936.thumb.jpg.0e0746aeea047a2926811bb60c569b67.jpg20180302_171312.thumb.jpg.c8bfd5000714cdf1caa62a45fe48012b.jpg20180302_171414.thumb.jpg.4954a54e6aa03ced257cbc1fce82a62e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveDuk said:

Congratulations.  Does this mean you are selling up in Thunder and Shadow?

Sue

6 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

A long stick and a bed sheet. 

I have the rags and the stick is awaiting collection from Brundall :) I blame Debs, I'm working In Norwich as I said earlier and I'm going to use this as a floating bed, albeit a very cosy one. It needs a bit of TLC but the outboard is as sweet as a nut and I can see it staying as a toy after we get our proper boat. Yes it is the one that was outside the Nelson. All I need is a mooring with a shower block and electricity and I will be sorted for now.

I've slept in worse places, it is clean and dry and has the basics but getting her back to a nice shiny, sailing condition will be fun and keep me out of trouble. I just need to remember how to sail. I'm hoping it's one of those things you don't forget, like riding a bike, but the last time was 40 odd years ago. We are moored at Acle at the moment, in a couple of hours I will find out if I have a mooring at Horning. Worst case I will have to find somewhere else for her but I always travel hopefully :)

Ps Sue, we are selling our share in Thunder and our two week share in Shadow but keeping the full share we bought off you. Chris has been bitten by the bug and he will be using that more :)

Great news Steve. Hope you get the mooring you want. Not all moorings have showers unfortunately but if all else fails get a cheap gym membership or find a local swimming pool.

The rag and stick bit, I'm told, is like getting back on a bike, you will wobble a bit but not fall off. 

Colin :default_beerchug:

Great news Steve. Hope you get the mooring you want. Not all moorings have showers unfortunately but if all else fails get a cheap gym membership or find a local swimming pool.
The rag and stick bit, I'm told, is like getting back on a bike, you will wobble a bit but not fall off. 
Colin :default_beerchug:
Hah. First I need to get all the rigging fitted right :)

58 minutes ago, SteveDuk said:

Hah. First I need to get all the rigging fitted right :)

Steve, just a word of warning Do Not overtighten the rigging on a Seawych. The mast support is an oak beam glassed into that raised square section just aft the front grab rails. I have seen quite a few where that beam has gone into a dip because the oak has failed due to overtightening. The beam on your boat looks absolutely fine. I was told by John Sadler that the inside bulkheads separating the quarter berths from the V berths were not designed to be structural and some owners had made theirs open plan. I actually made mine structural mounting them tight to the roof and bolting in postion to the berth moulding before glassing-in. Sometimes the twin backstays are a little difficult to get on but the trick is use the boom, mainsheet and topping lift to pull the top of the mast aft a bit.

Steve, just a word of warning Do Not overtighten the rigging on a Seawych. The mast support is an oak beam glassed into that raised square section just aft the front grab rails. I have seen quite a few where that beam has gone into a dip because the oak has failed due to overtightening. The beam on your boat looks absolutely fine. I was told by John Sadler that the inside bulkheads separating the quarter berths from the V berths were not designed to be structural and some owners had made theirs open plan. I actually made mine structural mounting them tight to the roof and bolting in postion to the berth moulding before glassing-in. Sometimes the twin backstays are a little difficult to get on but the trick is use the boom, mainsheet and topping lift to pull the top of the mast aft a bit.
I'm rather hoping that when I have picked the mast and fittings up some kind person (that knows what they are doing) will come and give me a hand. This will of course involve a nice lunch or dinner in the New Inn :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

I'm rather hoping that when I have picked the mast and fittings up some kind person (that knows what they are doing) will come and give me a hand. This will of course involve a nice lunch or dinner in the New Inn :)

I will certainly help you set it up Steve but we could do with another just to raise the mast. I say this because if the boat has not been modified to aid mast lowering the step up from the cockpit to cabin roof as you lift the mast would be a bit too much for me now ( back problems). All Seawych except for the first few mk1 were supplied with a roller reefing genoa the spar of which was permanently attached to the forestay. The way to go I found was raise the mast and attach forestay first, then the shrouds and lastly the twin backstays. Then you can take your time to adjust the bottle screws and get the set up.

7 hours ago, ChrisB said:

. . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . All Seawych except for the first few mk1 were supplied with a roller reefing genoa the spar of which was permanently attached to the forestay. The way to go I found was raise the mast and attach forestay first, then the shrouds and lastly the twin backstays. Then you can take your time to adjust the bottle screws and get the set up.

All clear now Steve??😁😁😁

I will certainly help you set it up Steve but we could do with another just to raise the mast. I say this because if the boat has not been modified to aid mast lowering the step up from the cockpit to cabin roof as you lift the mast would be a bit too much for me now ( back problems). All Seawych except for the first few mk1 were supplied with a roller reefing genoa the spar of which was permanently attached to the forestay. The way to go I found was raise the mast and attach forestay first, then the shrouds and lastly the twin backstays. Then you can take your time to adjust the bottle screws and get the set up.
You are a gentleman Chris, I am on Moonlight Shadow at Brundall at the moment but I'm on Thunder (Horning) for a week from the 15th. I will probably go and collect the mast later that week. Our neighbour at Brundall had also offered to help so there would be three of us. Would the weekend of the 22nd be ok for you?

Steve

2 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

You are a gentleman Chris, I am on Moonlight Shadow at Brundall at the moment but I'm on Thunder (Horning) for a week from the 15th. I will probably go and collect the mast later that week. Our neighbour at Brundall had also offered to help so there would be three of us. Would the weekend of the 22nd be ok for you?

Steve

Yes, that should be OK.