Speedtriple Becomes Speed Twin

NO, i HAVE`NT changed my screen name, but i have changed the bike.

I`ve never had a Triumph Speedtriple (Brilliant machines that they are), but i have had a Daytona 955i, and a Street Cup which i still have, and still have (albeit under restoration) a Daytona 1000, mine being chassis no 538, one of the very first Hinckley built Triumph sports bikes. I traded the Street Cup for this beaty below.

A Triumph 1200 Speed Twin.  Aint she just damned pretty?.

This is my actual bike, but i won`t be picking her up til next Saturday.

IMG_20190604_151759.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Neil.  I think now, with the purchase of Norfolk Lady, that my motorcycling days may sadly be over.  I’ve hankered over another one for some time and have always found other things to spend the money on.

Good luck with it - it looks pretty mean!

• Like 1

Oh you lucky beggar, I've been looking at those on the Triumph website trying to make the man maths work so I can (not) afford one!

I quite fancied the red but that looks pretty beasty too, enjoy!

Glad they have bought the name back, my Dad had a '59 5TA Speed Twin back in the 60's, looked a lovely bike.

I almost had a Speed Triple, it was T595 Daytona with Renthal bars, the riding position used to cut me in half after about an hour or so, race rep seat tipping me forward and the bars pushing me back up!

I also had a Sprint RS, cracking bike!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

Oh you lucky beggar, I've been looking at those on the Triumph website trying to make the man maths work so I can (not) afford one!

I quite fancied the red but that looks pretty beasty too, enjoy!

Glad they have bought the name back, my Dad had a '59 5TA Speed Twin back in the 60's, looked a lovely bike.

I almost had a Speed Triple, it was T595 Daytona with Renthal bars, the riding position used to cut me in half after about an hour or so, race rep seat tipping me forward and the bars pushing me back up!

I also had a Sprint RS, cracking bike!

I absolutely LOVED the Sprint RS. Lovely and very under estimated machine. I kept on badgering Laguna down in Maidstone to get their road test version out, and eventually, the salesman gave in and said "come back in half an hour and she`ll be ready". I WAS`NT disappointed. I had to keep the revs down because i was the first person to ride it, but even then, you could feel the low range torque. I always wanted one from then on, but they never lasted long, as they never really sold well, because people went more for the fully faired ST because of its better weather and wind protection.

As for the "man maths", just do it, none of us are getting any younger, and as my dad always said, "you`re a long time dead".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

NO, i HAVE`NT changed my screen name, but i have changed the bike.

I`ve never had a Triumph Speedtriple (Brilliant machines that they are), but i have had a Daytona 955i, and a Street Cup which i still have, and still have (albeit under restoration) a Daytona 1000, mine being chassis no 538, one of the very first Hinckley built Triumph sports bikes. I traded the Street Cup for this beaty below.

A Triumph 1200 Speed Twin.  Aint she just damned pretty?.

This is my actual bike, but i won`t be picking her up til next Saturday.

IMG_20190604_151759.jpg

Hi Neil, 

I have never owned a bike, but it was always in the family blood, my younger brother by 4 years has only just given up and my Uncle in New Zealand was searching for spare parts for his Honda Goldwing on the last two occasions when he last came to the UK, now in his late 80's he has given up riding and is trying his hand at car restorations.

My guess is that Griff is drooling at that picture.

Regards

Alan

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm too poor to afford a triumph but if anyone fancies a fazer thou I have a hankering for a change, as much as I like the triumphs though I can't justify it to myself.

Rubbish, just go and buy one, you know you want to.

Why not buy a used one. Bikes these days are more leisure toys than cheap forms of transport.Yes you can buy cheap commuter machines, but bikes like these are toys, which rarely have more than 4 - 5,000 miles on 2 - 3 year old bikes. My Street Cup is just over 2 years old, and only has under 2,000 miles on the clock, yet can be bought for little more than £5,500.  You can pick up some excellent Speedtriples for around £5-6,000 with low mileage and look like brand new machines, which is the same catagory as your Fazer 1000.

He certainly was / is.  Looks proper serious and fun too

1200 Speed Twin with the best badge of all. :default_beerchug: 

Congratulations, Here's to many miles of safe and exhilarating riding

I've had my Mighty Tiger since brand new, where did the last 12 years go? 30'000 on the clock which ain't enough imho. Trouble is the older I get, the less free time I seem to have - Ain't it supposed to be t'other way round?

Griff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

He certainly was / is.  Looks proper serious and fun too

1200 Speed Twin with the best badge of all. :default_beerchug: 

Congratulations, Here's to many miles of safe and exhilarating riding

I've had my Mighty Tiger since brand new, where did the last 12 years go? 30'000 on the clock which ain't enough imho. Trouble is the older I get, the less free time I seem to have - Ain't it supposed to be t'other way round?

Griff

Wait until you retire Griff then you will have little or no time at all:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Wait until you retire Griff then you will have little or no time at all:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

That`s what i`m worried about. I`m looking to retire in 4 years time when i`l be 65, and by then I`l have 2 Triumphs, a car, a full archery set, several fishing rods, a mountain bike, and the New Forest on our doorstep, so seeing as everybody says they don`t know how they had time to go to work when they retire, i won`t be able to use any of them :default_icon_cry:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

That`s what i`m worried about. I`m looking to retire in 4 years time when i`l be 65, and by then I`l have 2 Triumphs, a car, a full archery set, several fishing rods, a mountain bike, and the New Forest on our doorstep, so seeing as everybody says they don`t know how they had time to go to work when they retire, i won`t be able to use any of them :default_icon_cry:.

It's a bloody good job that you don't drink alcohol, then, Neil!   :default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

Ever since I was a kid I loved motorbikes, but now a family man my kids hate the idea of me going out on a bike. I really would love to own another motorbike even at my age, but after a friend told me of his ordeal of a car driver pulling out in front of him and my friend was in the right. The idea of spending 6 months in hospital and the offending motorist suffering horrific injuries to his insurance policy, I will keep to a car. With pot holes increasing and motorists awareness of motorcyclists ever decreasing, it's a dangerous game out there for 2 wheels.

On 19/06/2019 at 09:11, Hockham Admiral said:

It's a bloody good job that you don't drink alcohol, then, Neil!   :default_beerchug:

It certainly is John, i`l never lose my license for drinking and driving (i never used to drink alcohol and drive / ride anyway), but i`m not so sure about speeding :default_icon_redface:.

I`ve just found the service pack, registration document, and insurance certificate, so now all have to do is phone Bikesure and change it to the Twin, pay an extra £1,500 deposit, and i`l ride her away on Saturday (providing it`s not raining).  I`l be sorry to see the Cup go, but she`s not really suited for two up work.