Fridge Engineer

Paws

Are you sure it needs re-gassing? I only ask as there's a lot of things affect whether a fridge works or not. Do you get a flashing light when it's on - or trying to turn on? The flashes are a code as to what the fault might be. Mine wouldn't start due to a faulty auxilliary fan I'd fitted (to aid air flow at the rear of the fridge).

Regulo  mentions an auxiliary fan that he fitted to improve airflow. Our fridge is free standing but in what can be considered as a box slightly bigger than the fridge therefore there is very little if any natural airflow. This is ok in the winter when the ambient temperature is relatively low and the compressor doesn't have to work too hard but not on hot summer days when the compressor is running for a lot longer.  I was going to fit a computer fan to come on and off with the compressor by breaking into the thermostat wire but was advised against it but a friend who was the production manager of a well know fridge manufacturer. He never told me why this was not a good idea but  he knew that the fridge was out of warranty so it wasn't that.

In the event I made the thermostatically controlled auxiliary fan which is mounted behind the fridge so that it blows onto the compressor and evaporator with thermocouple strategically placed out of the air stream. The fan On and Off  temperatures are set by the digital controller settings which you can set yourself to suit the installation.

After a bit of fine tuning of the positions of the fan relative to the back of the fridge, thermocouple position and controller settings the fridge is a lot more efficient with the compressor running a lot less. Another benefit is that the reduction in the compressor run time means less amps being drawn per hour.

Edit. Just noticed the photos which were portrait have attached in landscape for some reason.

P1080652.JPG

P1080653.JPG

Mine was easier than that, as the fridge had it's own auxilliary fan connection. It turns the fan on whenever the compressor runs. But it checks that it doesn't exceed a certain current draw, so when my fan stalled, the fridge didn't run! The light gave the correct code to tell me what was up, so a quick clean of accumulated dust, fluff and spiders web, and all was well. Just a 12 volt computer fan, same as StillCruising's above.

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

More efficient if it sucks.

You can almost hear the rustle of sweetie papers as the moderators settle down for the evening, fingers hovering over buttons, waiting for replies to appear! 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Timbo said:

You can almost hear the rustle of sweetie papers as the moderators settle down for the evening, fingers hovering over buttons, waiting for replies to appear! 

Knowing our lot its the screech of the twist cap on the gin bottle more like. It's enough to drive you to drink, but don't drive home.

• Haha 1