Back On The Broads From Early Tomorrow Morning

ranworthbreeze

17 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Thank you Alan

I was reluctant to say anything about eyes.

Will you get to the proper quiet side or stay up on the Blackpool side?

paul

Hi Paul,

I am staying on the southern rivers and I am training a new owner on Thursday. and I have a couple of jobs to do on the boat.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Paul,

I am staying on the southern rivers and I am training a new owner on Thursday. and I have a couple of jobs to do on the boat.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

did you say you will be on RB in September, if so, what dates will you be there?.

Karen and i hope you have a good week.

7 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Alan,

did you say you will be on RB in September, if so, what dates will you be there?.

Karen and i hope you have a good week.

Hi Neil,

I am down again on 17th of September.

I have got to do a little bit of last minute packing, then I will be setting off in about 20 minutes.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Tuesday 23rd July.

I left home at 5.55 am the roof down and headed towards Worksop and the A1, it was sunshine all the way to Brundall. I arrived at 9.15 without a stop; needless to say I called in Brian Ward’s for a couple of fenders and rope to install as additional dock fenders.

Jon (my brother in law) arrived a little after 10.30, I was making up his bed in the forward seating area, he helped me finish making up my bed before he brought his cloths aboard. I had already stowed all my cloths.

I fitted the two dock fenders to help protect the bathing platform, I will be making a paper  pattern of a teak section that I replaced about 3 years ago, it has a small chunk out of the edge.

Work done we set off in my car to Beccles to do our shopping in Morrison’s. We decided that a big breakfast was the order of the day before we started the shopping. Suitably replenished, we started shopping, Jon wanted some prawns for his fishing, he managed to get a reduced tub of prawns and cockles because the sell by date was almost up. Bait pushed to one end of the trolley we hit the cheese counter for Yarg and White Cheshire. We only purchased a few beers because we intended to visit a few of the pubs on our travels.

Back on the boat and food stowed we set off up river to the Ferry House Inn. We moored up and went into the pub for a couple of drinks and to book at table for 7.00 pm, advised of our mooring we enjoyed our drinks sat outside, for some reason we managed another pint before we set off back to the boat.

We had left the top section of the canopy up as a sunscreen, I decided to do some stitching on the canopy whilst Jon started fishing, he got into a conversation with the chap in the next boat so the wager of a pint was taken for the first of them to catch a fish. In the end Jon won his pint, me not being a fisherman, it was more lie a sardine rather than a whale. We washed and went in for our meal, the pub was heaving at the bar with everyone ordering their meals for inside and outside tables, we remained inside, our meals arrived after a while, I felt sorry for the kitchen staff sweltering away in all that heat, but needs must, we enjoyed our meals and then went outside with fresh beers.

Back on the boat Jon tried his hand again with fishing but had little luck with only a few bites.

We were in bed by about 10.00 pm, we had not put the canopy sections back into the canopy to make the boat cooler. We like all the other crews were awakened by lightning flashes a little after 3.30 am, lights were on in all the boats on the full moorings, the chap in the sports cruiser next to us had also not put up his canopy sections, we were both scrambling to get the sections in before the rain started, needless to say we failed and Jon getting the short straw was pushing in the press stluds on the outside whilst I did all the zips. We thought we would not get back to sleep but I managed to sleep in till 8.30 am.

All for now Alan

• Like 11

Wednesday 24th July

I awoke at 8.30 am Jon was already making the breakfast I was surprised I slept so long after the broken sleep from last night.

Today’s jobs were some more stitching and replacing a galley cupboard door catch (currently the last one at Brian Wards).

We left Surlingham and travelled towards Norwich to show Jon some of the Broads he had not seen, we had just gone under the bridge (Norwich bypass) at Thorpe when I had an audible alarm for engine overheat. We crawled up to Freedoms yard and asked if I could temporary moor to sort out the issue, I suspected the raw water filter was blocked, on getting into the engine bay the filter was clear. My fault I should have checked, the previous owner had closed the seacock to clean out the filter. Seacock opened and engine cooled we proceeded passed the two railway bridges at Thorpe, Commissions Cut and Whittingham, of course there were moorings to be had there.

We turned around just short of the railway bridge at Norwich. We decided to go to Rockland St Mary and moor at the staithe for the night. We managed to get the last available mooring; we noticed a yacht had sunk (only the mast could be seen). Moored up we trudged the great distance across the road to the New Inn. Jon had been talking to a few fishermen that had been fishing from their boats or the banks, hopeful for a few tips.

We saw a few of the fishermen in the pub, which we had to call in just so we could book a table. The chap Jon had beaten for the first fish caught from the previous day managed to squeeze in next to us. We said our hello’s, he was only going to stop for a beer and then go elsewhere. A couple of beers later we went down to the moorings but decided to go for a walk and look at the new building on the other side of the river. It was after 4.00 pm and the workers had finished for the day (well it is Norfolk).

On returning to the boat Jon fished and did some more stitching. We were somewhat rudely awakened from our tasks when a hire boat came up to the staithe with far too many revs on, the helm tried to moor in a now empty space, myself and a Silverline crew went to help them in. Sadly still too many revs and we could not get near enough to them to walk then in. One of the poles was hit, then a moored yacht on the opposite bank, after hitting a bush and another yacht they left the area. Another yacht came into the space after avoiding the leaving hire boat.

We all have to learn, but this could have been a case of not listening to the instructor or not enough instruction.

Shortly before 7.00 pm we left for the pub for our meal, our fishing buddy was still there and he stayed at the moorings for the night.

Back at the boat we were both trying to stay cool with the breeze blowing through the canopy.

We settled down and had some wine, crackers and cheese, before retiring to bed at 11.00 pm

Regards Alan

• Like 11

Good stuff Alan.

I do love to pop into Rockland for a refreshment break. I always find that I've worked up quite a thirst by the time you reach the pub after that mammoth walk from the staithe to the New Inn  :default_smiley-angelic002:

Thursday 25th July.

I thought we were training a new owner today but after my internal clock woke me at 6.00 am we had an early breakfast and set off to visit Loddon, we had slipped the moorings a little after 7.15 am and had a good journey towards Reedham. After phoning the new owner we rescheduled for Friday morning.

Harley Drainage Mill was open and the sails were in operation, by the time we arrived a Hardley Cross we had two other boats in front of us as we started up the River Chet, luckily four boats came the other way and we all managed to moor at the staithe after a small boat in front of me  pulled into Maffets.

Six smaller yachts were moored at the staithe side on the in pairs, these left by later afternoon.

We went for a walk up to the Co-op for a few items but mostly bread. We bought a couple of tokens for the shower (attached to the toilet block) these are available from the shop near to the moorings and the Kings Head.

We wandered down to the White Horse to book our evening meal and to grab a pint; Jon had orange for a change (sorry Jay). We went back to the boat and Jon did some more fishing and caught a couple of little ones, unlike the chap fishing near the weir from the old mill, who catching 4 lb Bream. I fitted a new toilet pump (I had picked one up from Brian Wards earlier in the week) on the toilet in the aft cabin bathroom.

We had showers using up the full 10 minutes enjoying the warm water, refreshed for only a short while we made our way to the pub for 7.00 pm; we had an enjoyable meal and a few beers before returning back to the boat.

Because we had to be up early on Friday, the new owner would be arriving by 10.00 am and we had to get back from Loddon to Brundall, we went to bed at 10.30 pm.

Bye for now

Regards Alan

• Like 9

Lovely to read about your time afloat Alan. I guess if we ever get back out on the southern rivers we should try Rockland again. Went there once and really didn’t see the attraction! Mind you, I have got my eye on a nice looking cottage for sale there. Found it on Rightmove last week but sadly we can’t actually move house yet!

• Like 2

Friday 26th July.

For some reason I awoke at 5.15 am, washed and dressed I went up top and removed the canopy sections, Jon said hello just as I was finishing rolling up the aft sections.

Cereals with fruit and a slice of toast were the order of the day and a mug of tea to wash down the tablets.

We slipped the moorings quietly about 6.50 am and had a slow journey down the Chet, we saw a small deer by the river’s edge, pity we did not have camera at hand, it just laid there with its big eyes staring away. At one point we thought that a Heron was swimming my guess is that the water was very shallow at the edge and we could not see its legs.

When we arrived at Hardley Flood the tide was flowing into the flood, so much better than when the tide is low and it flows into the river, this does effect steering at about three locations on the river at the side of Hardley Flood. Today we could see upwards of twenty plus swans and the odd cormorant. To be honest my favourite water bird is the Great Crested Grebe,  our travels this week we saw a very young grebe on its mothers back and a number of other grebe’s still making nests on the river.

We didn’t see any other boats until we reached the main river and headed towards Brundall, Jon now took the helm all the way back to the marina. We moored up at about 9.00 am, it was just starting to drizzle so Jon helped with the canopy.

Jon put his bag and fishing tackle back into his car; he was meeting up with his family in Cromer, I went to Brian Ward’s to get some new rope for warps, I got through the level crossing and went into the chandlers. On exit the crossing was closed and we had to wait for three trains to pass through before it opened. The queue let me in and I waved at Jon as we passed each other on the crossing.

Back at the boat I was awaiting the arrival of Steve our latest owner for his initiation training; we did the walk through the boat showing him when everything was stowed, how it worked both inside and outside of the boat.

We removed the canopy sections and let down the canopy and rails to show him how it was done correctly. All done we removed the shore power cable and slipped the docking lines; I took the boat out of the marina and handed the helm to Steve. We travelled through Brundall and I pointed out the 24 hour moorings and the path up to the church (ideal if you want to do some shopping in the village) the mooring were almost full so we did not stop to do some practice mooring there.

Steve had already had a river trial when he came down to look at the boat a few months ago so already knew of the boats tight turning circle and being able to stop within its own length after travelling at 6 mph, Rich had shown him this on his river trial.

We practiced a starboard on mooring at the 24 hour moorings opposite the Ferry House Inn, good clear mooring technic we went further up the river, Steve asked about all the pubs we passed and what was the procedure regarding booking a mooring and table for meals etc.

We did a port side on mooring at Bramerton Green and then proceeded further up the river, because of time restraints we turned around before we reached Commissions cut, I explained that this was an ideal location to stop if you just wanted to travel into Norwich by bus, it is a short walk to the railway bridge and about 100 yards up to the main road, the bus stop is on the left. Because of our inability to get under the two low Thorpe bridges this is also just a short walk to the two pubs.

After turning around we headed back and called in the Waters Edge for some lunch, there were two reserved notices, but we temporary moored and I asked the staff what time the reservations were for, in this case it was 4.00 pm so the reservations more than likely were for overnight mooring. We switch off the engine and controls and locked the boat up and went in for a pint (nice pint of Becks Jay) and ordered some food.

Suitably refreshed we went back to the marina where Steve did a perfect stern mooring. It started to lightly rain as we said our goodbyes. I put up the canopy (I used to do this whilst Tan was at the helm if we had a sudden downpour).

Now watertight I got ready to go to a jukebox customer at Diss, I had already repaired his control boards and supplied him with an opto switch (I wrote DUD on his old switch) on arrival I looked at his juebox and saw that the opto switch was not having an effect on the Mechanism Control. I asked if he had put on the correct opto switch, needless to say on removal the word dud could be seen on the old switch. Once replace with the correct one the jukebox sprung into life. I made a few adjustments to the tone arm and gave him a bit of advice whist having a mug of tea.

We said our goodbyes and I then set off to meet up Cromer to meet up with Jon and his family. About an hour later I pulled into the caravan and camping site they were on. Jon was waiting at the gate to show me were to go. Parking at the side of the caravan I made the most of the barbecue they were already having.  A cremated burger with bacon & cheese (just the way I like them) was called for whilst Jon & Brenda’s children and their associated families told me of their night in last night’s storm, the wind and rain had made for a restless night,  Brenda had spent a night in a B&B just watched the storm from her bedroom window.

We went down with the family to the play area of the camp, they have two children each so we all played rounder’s and cricket, no mean task for us older members of the family. We went back for coffee and arrived back at the caravan and sat outside for a short while before it started raining.

I said my goodbyes at 10.30 pm and headed back to Brundall and the boat, it was 11.30 so I went straight to bed.

Bye for now.

Regards Alan  

• Like 8

Saturday 27th July.

Up around 7.00 am this morning, it’s a dull day, overcast with drizzle.

I decided this morning to have a cooked breakfast, three fried eggs, bacon and tined tomatoes and a fried slice.

Now that I have lost Tom the cabin boy (Jon) I have to do my own washing up, at home it all goes into the dishwasher.

All tidied up I started on splicing the ends of the warps that I bought from Brian Ward’s, rather than the standard 3 ply twist ropes I decided to go for a more flexible double stranded four ply weaved rope. I managed to find some more stitching to do so all that kept me busy until lunchtime. Beans on toast were the order of the day with a generous covering of grated Cheshire cheese, followed by a bottle of Cobra. Drudgery completed (the washing up) I spent a while on the computer catching up on emails and the forums.

I was on my way to the wet rooms when I saw Robin on the back of his boat, we chatted a while and he invited me to have a look around his boat. Although we have spoken on line I believe we have never met. We talked of their journey from the south coast to bring Independence to the Broads. I was impressed with the quality of the woodwork all around the boat and the layout of the lounge and cabins. Yes he has got a few minor problems aboard that he has been resolving.

I left for my shower and then into the Yare at 8.00 pm, I had been thinking what I would have as a meal and asked for a cheese & tomato pizza with a bowl of chips (I never manage both of them), to be told they no longer do pizza, change of plan so had the gammon instead, a couple of Fosters later and crackers & cheddar.

I left the pub and headed back to the boat, I had not done much over the day but was glad to get into bed at 10.30 pm.

Bye for now.

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

turned around before we reached Commissions cut

This might be an opportune moment to advise that half of the Commissioners Cut moorings are taped off, all of the upstream side of the cut. They are likely to stay that way for some time as I understand the quay heading is ‘tipping’ rather badly and need substantial work. Thinking about it, it probably makes the cut more user-friendly in that probably 4/5 boats could moor on the downstream side. Usually there is a boat either side at the entrance to the cut blocking the rest off!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Alan, just thought the info might be useful for anyone planning to moor there. Enjoying your write-up, are the rivers very busy at the moment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2