Luna’s Log

Lulu

18 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Trying CC’s idea of emailing the photos back to myself 

ooh sorry Mrs Lulu, I only just saw this updated thread. I hope now you have some way of sharing your pics you will continue to post your adventures.....Reading back now

25 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Normal service will be resumed :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Good to hear Mrs Lulu, and we all love your blogs just like everybody else's.

Nobody knows better than I about sounding samey...I mean.. river shot, pub, river shot, pub :facepalm: but we all enjoy reading your adventures so please carry on when you can :default_smile:

13th September 2020

Beautiful day, we got up early and left Stalham at 7.45. As we got out of the marina we both grinned at each other. Back on the Broads in glorious sunshine, forget the stresses of work, Covid and everything else that has been going wrong this year. The river was very quiet, a few Richardsons boats going back. Barton Broad to ourselves. The aim was to get under Ludham before everyone else started moving (we are still a bit nervous about the bridge).   In the excitement of being out again for a week I forgot to take any photos of the journey to our planned destination of Acle.   

We arrived at Acle at 10.30 and saw a spot at the end of of the Bridge Inn moorings. We came in with the tide thinking it wasnt that bad, but it was flowing faster than we first thought so abandoned that manoeuvre, turned and came in correct way.   We walked to the bridge to capture the scene then went for a  drink at the Bridge Inn.  We hadnt stopped there before and were very impressed with the very warm welcome and service and all the Covid safety measures in place. We sat in the beer garden for a while before going back to the boat for the rest of the day doing, not a lot. 

A boat came in trying to get into the gap in front of us. We couldnt move any further back as we were on the end but they were determined to get in.  Selsie paced the gap out. Nope, a 35ft boat was not gong to get into a just over 25ft gap. They tried, I was on the bow of Luna holding onto their pulpit rail so it didnt hit us while it was eventually worked out they couldnt get their stern in.  They were lovely people but it was so obvious they wouldnt fit the gap so off they went and we agreed it was a nice gap for a Safari. A short time later, lo and behold a Safari arrived and we helped them. It was a bit tight but we squeezed them in. 

In the evening we watched a pair of otters who spent ages swimming about opposite us. This is where I realised i need another lens for my camera as i couldn't zoom in close enough.  Tired from all the fresh air and sunshine we retired early to bed.    (Now hope these photos load....)

5B22D6C2-EEE1-4A2F-93C8-FB6C892DDAD4.jpeg

BE7F977E-28B6-4600-AD0A-8CBB3BD7025D.jpeg

8CBE5590-C74D-4C0E-9A0D-E8795E569CCE.jpeg

FEA4AD14-C540-47E7-8B68-348D66A7AED5.jpeg

38953AEF-F080-4187-B5EE-ACED5B91C0CE.jpeg

5B4E4038-3D9C-43C2-9B7D-BC40CFAEE2A0.jpeg

FAC6C5E5-BAF9-4AF2-A1C5-B38504EB601D.jpeg

17389089-046D-451B-90DE-F79EFC3A6CDF.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

14th September 2020

We never sleep well at home. Often I barely get 4 hours. We woke up after sleeping for 9 hours and that continued for most of the nights of our holiday.  

We left Acle just before 8.00am. It was another lovely sunny day and due to get very hot later.  We didn't really have a plan for the day so set off with idea of possiblyThurne Dyke or Potter. We looked at HW’s webcam and saw the moorings were full, Thurne Dyke wouldnt  give us enough time to charge the batteries so made our way to Horning. The staithe had space! We moored up behind Cerise Lady and had a great natter with Cambridge Cabby.  The weather was certainly warming up.  We hadn't cruised a huge amount so plugged into the electric as it was there and waved Cambridge Cabby off (think he was supposed to be going home........) and moved Luna up a bit to the end of the staithe and decided to call it a day.

After about 10 mins thinking how lucky we were nabbing a spot on the staithe, loads of day boats were coming past and it was suddenly getting very busy generally. We knew that for the rest of the day we would be in “meerkat mode” so decided to leave and stop there again out of season.  I got rid of the rubbish and off we went with a plan for Fleet Dyke.  Fleet Dyke was full and so was St Benets. Hmmmm do we go back to Cockshoot Dyke which had spaces when we had gone past? 

We were now getting overheated with the sun so went to Ranworth Island. We were reluctant to spend £10 but we needed to cool down so found a shady spot at the beginning of the moorings. It was now 1.15. The island quickly began to fill up.  We met some really lovely people and chatted about all things boaty and gave a lady one of our spare fenders to protect the stern of her beautiful wooden boat that she had recently moved up from the Thames. She had never had to stern moor before.

I had to keep soaking myself in water and sit in front of the fan to cool down.  The midges came out but we used that Avon So Soft for the first time and it really does work and deterred unwelcome bitey things.  As the sun went down, the Inside of the boat cooled to a comfortable temperature so anticipated a restful night. 

not many photos unfortunately as I can’t get some to load again  

03CBCDD8-B062-4FFB-A16A-C8D3E1108759.jpeg

3506D416-C77A-4125-BE3D-7789380F3AB5.jpeg

A19ACC06-9E2A-4B03-AD1C-6183B1E8690B.jpeg

• Like 8

We didnt have any trouble with the rest of the week. Where we went wrong was mooring up early as we usually do, then changing our minds as we knew we couldn’t  relax, so by the time we set off again it was too late to get the places we wanted. Also, I think people were mooring up earlier that day because of the heat. We have now learned in busy season not to dither! 

• Like 4

15th September

We woke early and it was the only night I didnt get much sleep. The geese had had a party all night and there seemed to be a lot of drama with them arguing amongst each other.  I went out onto the deck and there was a lovely mist across the broad. It was such a lovely moment, really peaceful and no one else around, including the geese who seemed to have retired to their nests or wherever they go after a night out partying. 

We wanted to say goodbye to the wooden boat lady next door but it was too early when we left.  I always worry about the noise of the engine when we sneak away early but actually its very quiet from the outside.  Inside the helm is much better since Selsie installed soundproofing panels in the engine bay.  We left the island around 7.30 and had a lovely cruise and didnt meet anyone. Such a lovely time of day when everyone else is still snoozing.  

We arrived at Womack Dyke and slotted into a Luna sized space.  We could tell it was going to be another hot day.  We wanted to get rid of the small amount of rubbish we had. The heat of the previous day hadnt reacted well with the contents of the bin apparently. I couldn't  tell if the bin was going off as I still haven't got my sense of taste and smell back since getting COVID in March. Also, I couldn't smell the muck that had been recently spread on the fields around Womack, so there are some advantages!  Selsie wasn't keen on staying with the smell but we set off for the shop at Womack Staithe.  

We spotted Aunty Pat and Mike on their lovely boat Chameleon.  It was so nice to catch up with them.  I realised Id forgotten my mask but Aunty Pat came to the rescue and gave me one.  Thank you! It meant i could go to the shop and stock up on a few supplies.  We still had plenty of meat from Ludham butchers we had bought before we got to the marina and because it was by now getting really hot again, we said our goodbyes and had socially distanced hugs with Pat and Mike and returned to the boat.   The end space had become free.  We always love an end spot so we moved Luna there.  

The rest of the day we spent in the helm, just watching whatever was going on. Some people we met last time we were at Womack went by, waving and obviously hoping to moor there.  Then lo and behold a bit later Cerise Lady arrived and managed to squeeze into a space.  Cambridge Cabby came over and we had another good chinwag.  I did say, I thought he had been going home the previous day but  it seemed like he had got away with staying another day and wasn't on the naughty step just yet.....

The river was busy and I couldn't work out where everyone was finding places to moor later on. They were all going towards the staithe and not a lot returned.   Complete mystery! 

Selsie decided to install the other  battery we had recently bought and a battery monitor. The monitor was about £8 and Selsie is obsessed with looking at the reading.  I have to say, it has given us peace of mind now, particularly as we don't do long cruises.   A really lovely day, especially meeting friends unexpectedly.  I cant think where else we would randomly meet so many people we know when on holiday! 

25B65880-DCC7-4A80-8F46-4F74D3579256.jpeg

B88928CC-5841-4F94-A9D4-15A6D1ECDB8E.jpeg

7241AFC8-9198-45C6-8DF1-26ADE57FA13E.jpeg

7FFB63E5-9CAD-48A8-8511-6AEB92B5BAAD.jpeg

2056B153-4E49-408F-9013-B06B1843766C.jpeg

5B37D3F8-0949-41FC-A46E-36D1BF2A71B5.png

• Like 10

16th September 2020

Lovely undisturbed sleep after not being able to stay awake beyond 9.30 the evening before.  As usual I got up before anyone else was stirring loving the peaceful scene.  The plan today was to get a pump out and we getting very low on water.  We could tell this by how much Luna had started to list to one side.  We debated Horning but it was bound to be busy by the time we got there decided on Acle.   We set off around 8.00 and followed Cerise Lady down the Thurne. Cambridge Cabby had been summoned and was finally off home! 

We stopped off at the Pedros side and a very helpful gentleman did the pump out while we filled up with water. As the tank filled, Luna was finally sitting level in the river again.  We decided to head for either Stokesby or Stracey.  We spent the whole cruise trying to avoid vast clumps of reeds, planks of wood and logs.  Selsie’s new role was spotter while I helmed.  There were a few spaces at Stokesby but we decided to carry on as we hadnt been to Stracey since last year’s wooden boat show.  We moored right at the start of the moorings.  Loads of posts around this part were missing and we used the few that were at the end.  We ended up moving along slightly after realising one we had tied to was wobbly and with the strong tide, we weren't going to risk it. We went to the shop and paid our mooring fee. As we had moored the opposite way we usually do, this gave me a chance to clean that side of Luna.  Most satisfying finally getting rid of the green gunge that had been accumulating. 

After a few hours, when l looked out of the galley window, I could see a huge build up of reed and debris. Selsie pulled it all away with the boat hook and we also checked the weed filter.  We had to continue to get rid of all this debris throughout the day.  I was convinced a huge porcupine was swimming past at one point.   

The moorings filled up over the day, although as there were no posts in front of us, no one tried to moor once they could see there was nothing to tie up to.  It was a cooler day but still beautiful and another day of doing not a lot had soon gone by. Bliss! 

338CF5E2-346F-4565-B557-F9CE67D9E4CC.jpeg

A2B24759-C131-42A2-A013-D8C11343CCA0.jpeg

45A1A8A5-F107-495F-B02B-237CAB58DB6B.jpeg

5CD9637D-9707-44A8-9B74-A104BD4A601A.jpeg

89E8536A-B5D0-4A64-82C1-C4E2F49695C5.jpeg

EC8E2DD2-0CCF-44E0-A672-23A20E5449C6.jpeg

ADA2A304-4E6D-45F4-B24A-8CD8C7F991FE.jpeg

D2FB31EC-0C22-4D07-8B47-76E4262E4AC2.jpeg

• Like 5

Yep! Definitely a porcupine!

Love your tales! Please don't stop posting them!  Isn't Womack Dyke a wonderful place to moor.

We were slightly gutted that we had decided it was best to turn tail and get back down south after only one night 'oop north' on our trip this last fortnight. We had grand plans to get up to Coltishall and Dilham and all sorts of places. None of that was to be. Given the weather over last weekend though we think we did the right thing. In any case , the river levels would have curtailed our best plans. During our fortnight it definitely changed from summer to autumn!

• Like 2

Days of doing not a lot sums up the Broads completely. We love Womack and are always torn between the Dyke and the Staithe. Love the peace of the Dyke but I struggle with side on moorings when the river levels are high. Womack Water is wonderful if you go out of season and avoid having to play sardines with everyone else. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lulu said:

but if the staithe is fairly empty when we are out and about over autumn / winter, I definitely want to try there

We had a night there in March 2019 with no-one else there at all, we had it all to ourselves. Amazing. Quiet and sheltered and we could hear the owls in the trees.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We had a night there in March 2019 with no-one else there at all, we had it all to ourselves. Amazing. Quiet and sheltered and we could hear the owls in the trees.

Ok, its definitely on my list!  I wish there were electric posts 

• Like 1