Turbo Replacement

Hi all,

We had our engines serviced this week on Lady Emma (2 x Volvo Tamd31P) and it was found that the port side engines turbo (Borg Warner I think) is seized.

Anyone know where we can get a replacement or have it reconditioned ?

Cheers,

Jeff.

I know nothing about this but a motoring column I read often says that an engine with a turbo should be run a low revs at the end of a journey in order for cooler oil to surround the (bearings?) in order to preserve the life of the turbo as if turned off when hot it has no lubrication. Just thought i’d Mention it!

• Thanks 1

I would hazard a guess that most broads cruising will count as low revs, on a boat that has twin engines the revs when out of speed restricted waters would naturally be a lot higher, but then you come back to dock up in the speed restrictions so you will be once again using low revs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, johnb said:

I know nothing about this but a motoring column I read often says that an engine with a turbo should be run a low revs at the end of a journey in order for cooler oil to surround the (bearings?) in order to preserve the life of the turbo as if turned off when hot it has no lubrication. Just thought i’d Mention it!

Part of that is to let the turbo spool down before losing the oil feed, I always try to drop the rpm in stages on my twin TMD41's after a fast run otherwise the oil pressure drops too quickly and the alarm buzzer starts buzzing, always best to let the oil warm up before throttling up as well.

I think VP do a repair kit for a lot of their turbos that is the centre section less snail shells but not cheap.

I doubt the turbos spin up at all at broads speeds, could just be carbon build up in the turbine side, maybe worth taking the housing off for a peek (gaskets not cheap though).

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

...could just be carbon build up in the turbine side, maybe worth taking the housing off for a peek (gaskets not cheap though).

That would be my first port of call as well. Don't buy gaskets or parts until it's apart and checked, that way, if it still needs to go away, just reassemble and you haven't spent twice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johnb said:

I  had a serious argument over advice like this with a neighbour.  

Every time he came home he was idling his ridiculously loud mid life crisis car for 2 or 3 minutes to apparently save his turbo.  

Amongst some other stuff I told him to stop driving like an tw*t and he wouldn’t need to do it.  I think he reported my temper tantrum to the police but they must have got through to him as he stopped doing it.

Switching the engine off at high revs will starve the Turbo of oil, switch it off at idle and all will be fine.  

Oops this thread was about marine turbos.

• Haha 1

It is imperative for the engine to run at idle speed for a small period of time, allowing the turbo intake and exhaust compressors to cool down. This is enabled by proper oil circulation from the engine that is otherwise not possible if you shut off the motor immediately after parking the vehicle. If you shut off your engine after a hard run, the hot engine oil that is trapped between the turbo compressors breaks down into carbon deposits around the bearing leading to poor circulation in the future, blown seals and eventually scoring and failure of the turbo.

Not my words, but generally it is considered wise to let a turbocharged engine cool down after 'spirited' use.

We were also told to do this by a Vauxhall main dealer for a certain small two-seater that they sold in the mid-noughties.

But yeah, on the Broads you're unlikely to be switching off shortly after a fast run (ie Breydon) and will have likely had plenty of time for the turbo to cool down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Not my words, but generally it is considered wise to let a turbocharged engine cool down after 'spirited' use.

We were also told to do this by a Vauxhall main dealer for a certain small two-seater that they sold in the mid-noughties.

At a track day I could understand it but driving home from work in a 30mph speed limit?

His trip home was all of 3 miles, I bet the coolant wasn’t even warm!

• Like 2

On 20/09/2019 at 10:37, Smoggy said:

Wait till the weather turns first, a seized turbo won't affect you at river speeds.

Winter is long enough without disabling the boat in good weather.

I use the boat all year round. I work in Norfolk two days a week so use the boat for a base on those days. 

I love winter cruising and my helm is in the main cabin so no need to freeze :default_biggrin:

So..........not that worried about when to get it done, just the fact that it will be nice to sort for when "I feel the need, the need for speed":default_eusa_dance: 

Hi Jeff, have you tried taking off the pipe to the inlet side of the turbo & spinning the center fan with your fingers. The reason I suggest doing this is, that sometimes the shaft sticks to the inner seals when engines are not run for some time.  Oil residues harden on both shaft and seal causing the turbo to stop. A quick spin with the fingers sometimes breaks the residue. Can save a few hundred of your hard earned. good luck.

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scaniaman said:

Hi Jeff, have you tried taking off the pipe to the inlet side of the turbo & spinning the center fan with your fingers. The reason I suggest doing this is, that sometimes the shaft sticks to the inner seals when engines are not run for some time.  Oil residues harden on both shaft and seal causing the turbo to stop. A quick spin with the fingers sometimes breaks the residue. Can save a few hundred of your hard earned. good luck.

Paul

What..............Get my hands dirty:default_eusa_naughty:

No No No.......I shall be getting someone in to do the dirty work lol.

I shall mention this to him though so many thanks for the advice.

P.s. Engines run every week and goes out of the marina for a run at least once a fortnight:default_stinky:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, finny said:

And dont forget a oil change - Volvo dont make oil it comes out of the ground even though they will recommend their own oil . i personally use a low Ash oil and it would be Comma oil

finny

The engines have just been serviced including all filters, impellers, oil etc.

This was when the turbo problem was discovered :default_icon_eek:

11 hours ago, coolcat said:

The engines have just been serviced including all filters, impellers, oil etc.

This was when the turbo problem was discovered :default_icon_eek:

perhaps its just me but after spending quite a few quid on a new turbo i would want to be giving it a good start to its life via an clean new low ash oil change - may even be tempted to do an engine flush before hand 

just my thoughts 

finny 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, finny said:

perhaps its just me but after spending quite a few quid on a new turbo i would want to be giving it a good start to its life via an clean new low ash oil change - may even be tempted to do an engine flush before hand 

just my thoughts 

finny 

I might be missing something but the engines have just been serviced last week including new oil filters and oil replaced?

Southwold is always a good destination for a weekend shakedown run, about 18NM from the mouth at GY, 1:15h at a gentle cruise speed of 16knots, full tide access and plenty of pubs (as long as you like adnams).

Follow the buoyed channels as coast hugging can catch you out of water.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Southwold is always a good destination for a weekend shakedown run, about 18NM from the mouth at GY, 1:15h at a gentle cruise speed of 16knots, full tide access and plenty of pubs (as long as you like adnams).

Follow the buoyed channels as coast hugging can catch you out of water.

I like your thinking:default_biggrin: